PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs sizer die won"t seat checks

runnin lead
07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
My RCBS sizer die wom't seat my gas checks .do I need a different gas check seater ground shorter for RCBS dies ?ordered the RCBS because no one had a Lyman in stock in that size, maybe just shorten the center part of the die ?

44man
07-11-2009, 12:26 PM
My RCBS sizer die wom't seat my gas checks .do I need a different gas check seater ground shorter for RCBS dies ?ordered the RCBS because no one had a Lyman in stock in that size, maybe just shorten the center part of the die ?
No, it sounds like your checks fit too loose to start with. They should be a press fit on the boolit. You might need to lap the check portion of the mold to get a tighter fit.

Tom W.
07-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I had a similar problem when I got my Free Chex. The supplied piece of aluminum would make checks that would stay in the lubrisizer. I got a different sized mandrel and used a thicker piece of aluminum, and now all is well.

runnin lead
07-12-2009, 12:17 AM
44 Man called it right , I tried a Lyman .310 instead of the RCBS .311 , the shank is undersize. For $ 175 for a mold you would thionk it would work

dromia
07-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Sent it back, RCBS should make it right.

WHITETAIL
07-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Contact RCBS first.
And see what they say.:coffee:

stubert
07-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Different alloys will throw differant size bullets, so also different size shanks. take a peice of 180 grit paper roll it up tight and lap out the shank. It takes less time to do it than we spent talking about it.

Frank
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Different alloys will throw differant size bullets, so also different size shanks. take a peice of 180 grit paper roll it up tight and lap out the shank. It takes less time to do it than we spent talking about it.
That's almost 24 hrs. :redneck:

Echo
07-12-2009, 01:15 PM
RL, what do you mean by 'won't seat'? When you run the boolit into the H/I die with the GC under, does it not get crimped on., and just stay in the H/I cavity? How does the GC fit before sizing? Can you place it on the boolit by hand, and have it stay on, or does it fall off? Or does it not go on at all?

runnin lead
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
The GC just lays in the die, the shank is under size,The mold is going back Monday, if I lapit & take too much out of any cavity I am out of luck , if the mould maker has a problem then they have to take care of it