PDA

View Full Version : Placement of furnace

odinohi
07-11-2009, 05:14 AM
I just got my Lyman factory reconditioned Mag20. I'm a newbee so bare with me. I plan on building a new bench dedicated to my bullet casting. I need something fairly small as I dont have much room left in my loading building. 4' long x 20" deep is what I'm thinking. I'm 5'11" tall so what would be a good comfortable hiegth for standing to cast bullets? I'll have some shelves underneath and eventually some drawers. I think I will mount my sizer on a piece of wood and clamp it to the bench when needed. I'm right handed so where would be a good place to put my furnace and what else will I need on my bench to cast bullets. Anyone have some pics of thier setup's? Thanks, Tom

beagle
07-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm a lazy caster...I sit.

The normal workbench top of 30" is pretty high for sitting although I use mine that was sometimes. I have built a small stand that's maybe 20" X 20" by 24" high. You'll have to fool around with the dimensions. This thing is 3 sided with a plywood top. I either cast off the bench using the small bench as a work top or cast right off the small bench. Being as it's 3 sided, I can slide my legs under it and cast in shorts in the summer and have my legs protected from spatters.

It's light enough to move around and sturdy enought to hold a Pro-melt full of lead. Easily movable to other sections of the bench for various uses.....

You might consider this idea./beagle

Shiloh
07-11-2009, 09:51 AM
The right height is that which is comfortable for you. Be sure to make it stable and SOLID!!

Shiloh

winelover
07-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I cast outdoors and for portability, I use a B & D Workmate with a slightly larger piece of 3/4" plywood clamped to the top wirh a C- clamp. I use another smaller C-clamp to keep the pot from tipping over. The Workmate allows you to adjust the height to your style. Furring strips can be attached to the top on three edges to keep boolits and misc. stuff from rolling off. I leave the front edge open.

Winelover

imashooter2
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I set mine up so I don't have to stoop to see the spout and mold interface. I find it much more ergonomic to raise my arms than lower my body.

GabbyM
07-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Adjustable height swivel seat work stools are nice. Wish I had one here at home.

When you lay out your drawer design. I'd recommend you place one under the bench top. That way if you get a Star sizer you can open the drawer set a box in to drop bullets into.

montana_charlie
07-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I have built a small stand that's maybe 20" X 20" by 24" high.
This thing is 3 sided with a plywood top.
Being as it's 3 sided, I can slide my legs under it and cast in shorts in the summer and have my legs protected from spatters.
Sitting, with bare legs trapped in a 20-inch box. Can't even swing sideways to get away quickly...

Hardcast416taylor
07-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Ask yourself if the bench in your barn or garage you work on is a good height. If you find that height comfortable then make your casting bench the same height. I built mine with 4x4 legs with 2x4 on edge then a slab of 3/4" plywood on the top, very sturdy, a shelf was built halfway up from the floor. Mine is 38" up from the floor to the surface top, 22" wide and 7 ft. long. I use a swivel height work chair on casters so I can kick away from the bench in a hurry. What ever height you elect to use don`t forget to have air circulation away from your casting operation.

07-11-2009, 02:43 PM
All my work benches are old kitchen counter cabinets with new tops. Small, quarter-round moulding, on the sides and front, keep things from rolling off. I built a stand for the Lee pot, to make it easier to see the spout.

My wife continues to maintain that I'm not clumsy, making it rather difficult for me to explain why I have a black toe nail. Therefore, I stand. Apparently, though, that still doesn't make for a quick enough escape route.

HeavyMetal
07-11-2009, 03:18 PM
When I cast with my bottom pour and Lee 6 bangers I lke to see the spout area when I'm pouring!

As such I have my pots set up so I can sit on a swivel stool when casting. Bench top is 29 and 1/2 inchs off the floor the Lyman spout is another 5 1/2 inchs above that.

This way I can see how each pour is going into the mold without bending or other "gymnastics" that can give one an odd pain the next day!

RP
07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I cast standing most of the time rotating myself from pot to the spruce catcher then to the boolet drop. I wear a chair out fast and it dont take me long to run out of lead and have to take a break to refill and flux the pot. So I would make my beach so sitting would work and a stand to raise the pot for casting standing.

runfiverun
07-11-2009, 10:07 PM
i cast standing also my bench is the 20"x4' size also.
i have mine set up so i can comfortably see the lead going into the mold.
and so i can see enough of the top of the pot to get ingots in and any slag i got out.
i went pretty high with my set up, near shoulder height.

AZ Pete
07-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm 5'8" and cast with a mag 20, while standing, or on occasion on a tall stool. My bench top is 40" from the floor, and a little higher wouldn't be a problem for me. Hope that helps.

454PB
07-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Here's a picture of my casting bench:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/eddard49/CastingBench.jpg

Mine is 8 feet long, 24" deep, and 42" tall. I cast standing, and I'm 6' tall.

The piece of 3/8" metal plate is drilled and tapped to accept my other lubrisizers and reloading presses.

beagle
07-11-2009, 11:20 PM
That's the nice part. No need to as the box protects you as the top and sides are lead proof./beagle

Sitting, with bare legs trapped in a 20-inch box. Can't even swing sideways to get away quickly...

Dale53
07-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I have cast sitting down for over 40 years. Here's a picture of my dedicated casting station:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QASSRAPeregrine-Casting2-2006015-1.jpg

Dale53

P.S. The keg of 748 is empty...rdm

10mmShooter
07-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I like something close to the 41-42 inches, heres my two indoor benches, I have a similar third "outdoor" bench I use for casting. 42'' high works for me seated on my favorite stool at my 650. When standing my elbow at 90 degrees my hand is about 3 inches off the bench perfect for me when standing at my Mag20.

I just cant imagine setting and casting....I like the option of a hasty retreat in the event of a disaster at the melting pot.

imashooter2
07-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Crappy cell phone pic of the file cabinet riser I use to get the spout to eye level...

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/castset1.jpg