PDA

View Full Version : Boolit for older .44 Ruger Deerfield rifle.

Bigscot
04-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I am going to try loading some cast boolits for my friends Ruger .44 semiauto rifle. I currently cast a Lee 200gr RNFP, Lee 240gr sw and RCBS 250k.
Would any of these work? Will an sw style feed through a semiauto rifle? I suppose gas checks would be needed.
Should I even mess with cast for this rifle?

Thanks,
Bigscot

Poygan
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Think I've heard that the Ruger gas system does not like cast boolits. Also, maybe hard to clean??

Clark
04-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I blew up an old Ruger carbine with cast bullets.
The leading does not mix with the jacketed bullets and the muzzle went bannannas.

Swagerman
04-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Please do not use cast bullets in your Ruger semi-auto, my son used them and the gun refused to work semi-auto, the gas port on the mechanisim got plugged with lead. Use only jacketed bullets in the old guns. Guess same applies to the newer model Ruger semi-auto.

I still have my old Ruger semi-auto, its scoped with 2.5X7 power and groups really well...but I shoot nothing but jacketed bullets in it.

Swagerman

waksupi
04-18-2005, 12:30 AM
I've shot cast bullets in the M1 Garand, HK G3, and Egyptian Hakim, with no leading problems in any of the gas systems, and I know Starmetal has extensive experience with the semi autos. Hopefully, he will add in.

Clark, what was the circumstance of the rifle blowing up with a cast bullet? Build up of fouling from jacketed bullets? The barrel would need to be entirely blocked, it seems, to rupture the barrel. That was the only way that it was possible to blow up barrels in the Montana Rifle Barrel Company testing about twenty years ago. Did a bullet not exit the muzzle, and a subsequent shot fired?

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy of that test, and if Jerry Cunningham, now Orion Barreels, will give his permission, I will post the full contents in some way.

Shooting a hard, well lubed bullet, shouldn't cause the rifle any inconvienience, that I am aware of.

StarMetal
04-18-2005, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't shoot cast out of an old Ruger Deerfield as the gun is complicated to take apart and get back together. Just my opinion.

I've shot alot of cast out of some autos. I've shot alot out of SKS's and no problems there. I think the most I ever got in the gas system of those was just a wee bit of lead wash which cleaned out easily. I've been experiementing with My AR 15 lately. I've even used some kapok for a filler in some of the cast loads to see if any of it would end up in the gas system. Nothing, in fact except for a greasey lube coating there wasn't anything else to be found. I think some of the lead wash that is found in gas systems may be from some condition where the hot powder gases are working on the base of the bullet and believe that if you find it in the gas system you'll find it in your bore also.

Joe

carpetman
04-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Waksupi---Jerry Cunningham now Orion Barreels---did he get married? Never seemed that type to me.

ruger4570
04-18-2005, 11:28 AM
The Ruger Company says "Not to shoot cast boolits in the gun"