PDA

View Full Version : WW alloy vs reclaimed shot alloy

leadman
07-10-2009, 04:00 AM
I am running low on WW alloy for my shotmaker so thought I would try alloy from reclaimed shot only. Reclaimed shot alloy did not form nice round pellets like my WW alloy has been doing.
I know that WW & RCS alloys have alot of the same metals in them like arsenic and antimony. I was always told that it was the arsenic that made the shot round.
I think it must have something to do with the tin content as this appears to be lower in the RCS.
I have been thinking of adding about 1% tin to the RCS to see what happens.

Do you think this might help?

shotman
07-10-2009, 04:12 AM
The tin works good BUT you have to start watching the temp closer. I dont know what shotmaker your using but most dont have a way to control the temp. It is best not to try to mix in the SM as the bowl is too small. I have had good results with 50/50 ww and lead but cut temp down. I have a Stewart but I reworked mine {jim didnt like it } but I rewired and put a 1500 w burner and a reostat like a stove has . I also mounted a lee bottom drippy over it so i have agood way to control heat.
The more tin the less heat or your shot will jump to size 4 or5

leadman
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I have an old Littleton with 6 drippers. I do watch the temp in the ladle and the laundry detergent I use for coolant (9 gals.).
It makes shot that is almost indistinguishable from factory made with WW alloy.
My problem now is finding enough WW to keep the machine fed. I've gone thru at least a ton in the last 6 weeks.
I do have some reclaimed shot and have a source that might still be cheap enough to purchase from.
With the machine producing good shot with WW, I emptied the ladle and put in RCS alloy. The pellets went from round to egg shaped.
I checked the MSDS on Lawrence shot and there is no tin in it, just lead, antimony, and arsenic. This is why I thought some tin may help. Guess this calls for some experimentation later today. May try adding tin or mixing with WW.
Was hoping someone else had solved this problem before. Thanks