PDA

View Full Version : reloading roll crimps?

7.62Man
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Anyone ever reload roll crimp shotshells? Or are they one use and toss?

Rockydog
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
They can be reloaded. Just go to Ballistic Products and order a pack of over shot wads, order a roll crimper, chuck it in an electric drill and go for it. I actually just dug the plastic hull out of a 20 ga high base shell, inserted a long bolt in the primer hole, chucked it in my drill press and use it to cut wads out of playing cards for my 16 gauge 2 1/2 loads. RD

lifeon2
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I was wondering that myself since they measure the same length after being fired couldnt you just put a 6 or 8 point fold on em?

tommygirlMT
07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
First of all - Yes, you can simply just fold crimp them to reload if you wish.

Secondly - If you do go with doing a roll crimp for your reloads don't go pay more money for inferior products by buying your stuff at BPI - get your roll crimper at Precision Reloading instead. It's a better roll crimp tool and it's a cheaper price. PR's roll crimpers heads are machined with four minie ramps instead of cross bars just like the old Lyman roll crimp heads which among roll crimps are the best of the best. As far as overshot cards either buy them at PR as well to combine shipping or if your buying in suficient bulk to make it worth your while then go directly to circlefly.com and buy direct from the manufacture.

northmn
07-10-2009, 06:26 AM
I bought my Ballistics roll crimpers some time ago and see no need to replace them but will not argue that PR's may be better and if you do not have one go that route as PR is a good firm. Roll crimping plastic depends on a few things including letting the heat build up or get right. Also some cases roll crimp better than others, such as the Fiochi. The memory in a star crimped case can also cause some problem for a roll crimp. Roll crimping permits making a 2 7/8 inch case equivalent out of a 2 3/4 for heavier loads if desired and also as mentioned a 2 1/2 out of a 2 3/4. I have trimmed cases for that purpose also. For heavy compressed loads I have also used 2 over shot wads. I have used roll crimps quite a bit for steel loads jsut to gain a little extra space that is sometimes needed.

Northmn

klcarroll
07-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I have to add my endorsement for the Precision Reloading Roll Crimping tools!

They are simply the best I have used! ......I had used a couple of the older Lyman design, …..and I had made about a dozen myself, prior to "Biting the Bullet" and buying the PR product.

They easily roll crimp once-fired shells that had originally been eight or six point crimped. The only shells they can't "save" are those that have longitudinal splits in the fold-crimp area.

.....And I definitely agree with "northmn"!! .....Roll Crimping lets you create custom lengths when a heavy load requires "just a little more room"!!!

Kent