PDA

View Full Version : Wolf primers

acemedic13
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Not sure if this in the correct area,if not........ Move me mighty Mods!

I have been having a fairly consistent issue with these wolf LR primers. The anvils keep "popping up" which is disallowing the primer to feed into the primer hole in the cartridge. It also hangs up my primer feeder on my 650. I have a lot of these primers,so I would like to figure out the issue(I guess there is not really that much to figure out). I Just wanted to know if anyone else using them has had the same issue or if this batch is a fluke. They go bang, and I have only had a few failure to fires (that I can contribute to primer failure) out of a few thousand rounds loaded. I would estimate that it is 2 or 3 in every hundred that has the anvil issue. Thanks for any feedback.........Joel

c3d4b2
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
If you would like to give wolf a call their contact information is:

http://199.238.132.208/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=2&Itemid=20

acemedic13
07-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I will do that. I am pretty sure they will offer a rain check for the vast distant future!

Jon K
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Wolf primers & Dillons don't play well together.......Wolf primers are .001 larger in diameter.

Ream the primer pockets. make them all uniform and you'll stand a better chance of getting them seated..........BUT... no guarantee with a Dillion.

Good Luck,
Jon

acemedic13
07-10-2009, 04:04 AM
The anvils are busted before they go into the case.Has nothing to do with reaming them. I do appreciate the input though. These cases have all had the pockets reamed and uniformed anyways. These primers seem to be that way right out of the box. I just opened up a box out of a totally seperate batch and found a few that were goofed up. QC might have taken back seat for a while on the pre buying craze. I got them just as things were getting stupid in the market and before they were running out of primers at the alarming rate they did. As with all good deals...Buyer beware......

As far as the Dillon, I have heard that about wolf and dillon before. Too bad, because thats what I use, and I would not trade out my Dillons for anything. That company is the best! Not many like them out there anymore.

donnis
07-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds like I bought my wolf primers the same time you did. I've seen loose anvils in LR, SR, SP and LP. Even found one anvil laying on the bench after loading a few hundred .223. I guess I'll find it when I get to the range.

The 300-400 SP I've shot all went boom, I just hand seated the ones I saw with loose anvils. I've been seeing 2-3 per hundred as well.

SciFiJim
07-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I've been seeing 2-3 per hundred as well.

2 to 3% failure is an astonishing amount. I've used thousands of CCIs and Federals and never had a problem. I think I will steer clear of Wolf primers. It looks like they have a very bad QC problem.

I use a Lee Auto Prime. At that level of failure I would make sure to look at every primer before seating. Murphy's Law says that the one you miss will be the one you need the most to work correctly.

Lloyd Smale
07-19-2009, 06:00 AM
ive ran into a few problems with them. Ive actually found them in the package without anivils. I also have not had much luck with consistant velocitys with there large pistol stad. and mag primers. It could be a matter of the anvil problem again. Ive also found that there is virtually no differnce in velocity between the mag and stand. primer making me think the only differnce is the material the cup is made from so dont try getting away with using the mags for lighting off large quanitys of ball powders. Ive actually had hangfires doing it. Another problem i just ran into is loading. I never had much problem when i had my dillon square deals but the new lock and loads have a differnt design of a primer feed and the slightly taller cups just dont work well with it. I dotn know much about there rifle primers but it would have to be a matter of them being the only primers i could find before id buy more of there pistol primers.

fastgun
07-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I have loaded about 5000 wolf large and small pistol primers without any problems. All were done with an RCBS rockchucker. My freind has loaded an equal amount on two Dillon 1000"s with the same good results.