PDA

View Full Version : Did I just screw up?

mugsie
07-08-2009, 06:46 AM
I just purchased a Lee mold - 429-240-2R. I am in the process of waiting for the top punch for my Lyman lubrisizer to arrive (thanks to people on this forum, I was able to find the correct one). Last night I went downstairs and checked a couple of boolets I cast with this mold against the sizing die in the luber. I removed the die and matched up the holes in the die with the lube bands on the boolet. Maybe it's me, but it doesn't appear that the lube rings line up with the holes in the Lyman lubrisizer sizing die. I think I may have a problem brewing.

Does anyone cast this boolet, then lube it in the Lyman lubrisizer? If so, does the lube fill the bands properly or must I now find another way of getting lube into the rings. I'm using a combination of Felix lube and JPW (approx. 50 / 50) and I would like to continue using this combination if at all possible. Of did I buy a mold and top punch for a bullet I can't lube?:confused:

Thanks for the help.

wallenba
07-08-2009, 06:52 AM
They won't align perfect with every boolit, but trust me, it will get in there. You have to find the "sweet spot" to set your stop on

Down South
07-08-2009, 07:06 AM
+1 on what Wallenba said.

Bret4207
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
As was said, the lube will get there. All you really have to do is make sure the boolit goes in as deep as the highest groove you want to lube. The lube will get in the groove as the groove slides past the holes.

mugsie
07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
.... and I thought I was the only one up this early! We need to get a life don't we? Actually, I'm at work (taking a little private time) but my heart is always in casting and shooting. I really enjoy the casting process, "Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a caster....". Can't think of a better probelm to have.

wallenba
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
.... and I thought I was the only one up this early! We need to get a life don't we? Actually, I'm at work (taking a little private time) but my heart is always in casting and shooting. I really enjoy the casting process, "Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a caster....". Can't think of a better probelm to have. Someone should come up with twelve steps for us casters and post it with the loob grooves for sale.

Larry Gibson
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Lyman's directions for the lubrasizer explains how to adjust it properly. It's not difficult.

Larry Gibson

mugsie
07-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Well I took my newly minted 429-240-2R Lee RN 44 mag boolets to the range this weekend to see how they shot. I lubed them with my Luberisizer using a homemade concoction of Felix lube and a dollop or thereabouts of JPW. I gotta tell ya - there's not much room in them thar lube groves and I was a scared it might be too little. A sized them all to .429, loaded them over 8.8g of Unique and off we went.

Off hand, 25 yards, first two shots hit dead on at point of aim, about 1 inch away from each other (for some reason this always happens - I should only shoot two shots then go home!).

After 50 shots down range, the majority would land in or slightly around a 2" red circle I use as a target, yet others would fly off and land 4 - 5" away (this has got to be me. Overall I found they appeared to shoot more accurately out of my Ruger RH than the 255g 429421 Lyman SWC's.

I did find ever so slightly, a little lead left over in the barrel (actually less than the Lyman's). I'm going to size the next batch at .430 (I think this mold drops them at about .430 anyways) and try a smidge more powder as I did see some blow back soot on the cases of some of the cartridges, indicating not full expansion. I think this combination should work just fine for target shooting.

All in all, it's a relatively accurate bullet and I'm pleased with it. I think it's a keeper, and the next iteration should prove to be very accurate overall. Who knows, maybe it'll even stop the flyers too!:drinks:

WILCO
07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=mugsie;608775 "Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a caster....". [/QUOTE]

I feel your pain Dude, I feel your pain..... :mrgreen:

Slow Elk 45/70
07-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Yup, if you don't have the directions for your luber , go to their web site and down load the destructions....:roll:

Dollar Bill
07-17-2009, 07:41 AM
A couple of points, mugsie. Boolits should be sized (or left unsized) to match cylinder throat diameter, not barrel groove. Take you bullet, unsized, and drop it in the cylinder. It should pass thru witha slight drag thru the throat.

Also, I have some old sizing dies that just wouldn't line up correctly in my Lyman with the bullets I was using. Disassembled the die, after marking the outside where I thought the lube holes should be, drilled new ones and plugged the old ones from the inside with lead shot. Worked like a charm. Just be sure and polish out any burrs on the insde from drilling.

jdgabbard
07-17-2009, 11:05 PM
A couple of points, mugsie. Boolits should be sized (or left unsized) to match cylinder throat diameter, not barrel groove. Take you bullet, unsized, and drop it in the cylinder. It should pass thru witha slight drag thru the throat.

Also, I have some old sizing dies that just wouldn't line up correctly in my Lyman with the bullets I was using. Disassembled the die, after marking the outside where I thought the lube holes should be, drilled new ones and plugged the old ones from the inside with lead shot. Worked like a charm. Just be sure and polish out any burrs on the insde from drilling.

I've tried dropping mine through the throats of my cylinders and they all stop. I figure them to be about .0005 over. They'll size down fine.