PDA

View Full Version : SS Ruger Super Blackhawk Front Sight

insanelupus
07-08-2009, 03:25 AM
I have a SS Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk. Love the revolver, hate the front sights. Way too much of a ramp for a good sight picture. The front sight is pinned in to the ramp/base. I'm looking for a different front sight. Anyone know of a company manufacturing interchangeable front sights for the Ruger Super Blackhawks? Looks like you simple remove the roll pin, and reinstall the sight and pin. Surely someone is making a different type of front sight with a drop in fit?

Any suggestions?

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2009, 05:39 AM
dave clements makes a real nice front post sight that pins in.

NHlever
07-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Ruger also makes a steeper, and higher ramp that fits that gun, and is inexpensive. It is designed for the .45 Colt, but I bought a couple to use on other Sbh's, and Blackhawks. I needed the higher front sight on my 5 1/2" SSSBH so it worked out well for me, and could be modified if one wants a lower sight. Simple pin in. I agree that the shallow ramp sure reflects too much light in many conditions.

Bushrod
07-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Try this' I did and it's great!! Since your talking about replacing your front sight anyway, I simply filed a V groove in the top of mine and epoxied in a piece of red fiber optic my gun store owner gave me for free.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/44jb.htm

44man
07-08-2009, 08:11 AM
A ramp or colored plastic is almost impossible to hunt with. Anything that glows is worse.
I don't know how your base is held on but Ruger makes these sights and they are cheap.

jhrosier
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I made a replacement sight blade for a Ruger from a scrap of steel with simple hand tools.
It was time consuming but not difficult.
I removed the original and traced the outline on the new piece, leaving extra stock to increase the height.
Then I sawed the piece out with a hacksaw and used a bench grinder to mostly finish the profile.
A few strokes of the file finished the faces flat and square.
I sand blasted the rear face to cut down glare, If I did it again, I would cut grooves in the rear face with a swiss file or thread chasing file instead. An undercut target sight wouldn't need that though.
The blade was then clamped in place and the sight base was used to guide the drill for a new pin hole.
I finished the blade with Oxpho-blue.

I suppose that I could have bought a higher sight, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

Jack