PDA

View Full Version : Saeco mold

Denver
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Howdy All,

I just snagged a Saeco 4 cav 45ACP mold on E Bone. What handles 'sides their own will work for these blocks?

:Fire:

quasi
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Saeco's

lovedogs
03-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Only Saeco's work with Saeco's. You may pay more for the handles than you did for the moulds. They're good ones though. I've heard the new RCBS will "almost" fit but won't quite work properly. Better to stay with Saeco's.

Denver
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. Midway has the handles for about $33. My guess is I can make Lee 6 cav handles work by thinning them down some if necessary.

KTN
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Lee handles will fit,with little tinkering.You need to drill holes little larger and add little shimming between mold block and handle.Without shimming,mold halves will not line up properly.My shimming is 0.020" thick and 0.30" wide strip of sheetmetal,about 4" long.I´ll try to post picture.

Kaj

Denver
03-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Lee handles will fit,with little tinkering.You need to drill holes little larger and add little shimming between mold block and handle.Without shimming,mold halves will not line up properly.My shimming is 0.020" thick and 0.30" wide strip of sheetmetal,about 4" long.I´ll try to post picture.

Kaj

Thanks, That's kinda what I had in mind, but thought I might have to slim the handle jaws a little to make them work. I don't yet have the mold, so don't know what I'm working with.

chunkum
03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
I've adapted both a Lee set and a set of RCBS handles to my double cavity Saeco moulds. Drilling the hole out, as stated, will work. However, the judicious circumferential application of a chain saw file to enlarge the holes out in the direction of the outside of the arm leaves the metal on the inside thicker and, at least in the two sets of handles I've done, doesn't require an inside shim. It also leaves them functional with my Lyman and NEI and Mountain moulds. The oversized hole seems to facilitate the "fitting" of the mould halves together by giving room for them to "find" the correct position. The Lees are a little thick for the slots on some moulds and careful filing and fitting of that part that needs to fit into the slot solves this as well.
chunkum