PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TIME: PP .358 win

TREERAT
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
what do you think?

TREERAT
07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
well I got the picture up, another first!
now the details: new Federal Classic 30-06 brass anealed, trimmed and formed into .358 win.
lyman 358315 cast at .360, sized to .3515 ( thanks to a die from Buckshot) wraped to .358 in 100% cotton and lightly lubed with LLA
loaded on 44g imr3031 (compresed)
what do think?

357maximum
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Thay LOOK really nice, now for the big Q...how do they shoot?

Fire_stick
07-08-2009, 01:06 AM
They are pretty. Let us know how they perform.

303Guy
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Hooo Boyyy! Those are real purty! How can something that looks so good not shoot well?:drinks:

Keep us posted.

TREERAT
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Very strange, recoil with these at about 2400 fps pp'ed was only half that of the same bullet lubed and gas checked at about 1900 fps. expalain this to me please!!

noise was weired too, like a .22 mag.

now the good, decent group, compleate confetti less then 2 ft in front of muzzle. and BARREL COMPLEATLY CLEAN.

about the target. 40 yds 8 shots. not knowing what to expect I had a death grip on the rifle for the first shot and put it in the price tag, next shot I pulled bad. then I loosened up my grip and let one go alitle high. then knowing what to expect I shot the five right above the price tag. I know this is only 40 yds and first pp loads but I think I got a great starting place to work from!

plus you got to consider this is off hand, and the leapold heavy plex covers the price tag at 40 yds.

docone31
07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I told you.
The change in recoil interested me also.
Nice clean barrels, lots of reloads on the cases. More than I expected.

303Guy
07-09-2009, 05:26 AM
... plus you got to consider this is off hand, ...Holy Cow! I'm beginning to feel inadequate here!:mrgreen:

... recoil with these at about 2400 fps pp'ed was only half that of the same bullet lubed and gas checked at about 1900 fps.Huh! Very interesting! How do the primers compare? I personally can't say as my PP's had a higher charge. But then I had a few test loads which would not pass as being mild and the recoil was very noticeable - unlike the accuracy! How certain are you about the velocity?

TREERAT
07-09-2009, 07:29 AM
303guy, do not feel inadequate, this was only 40 yards, do'nt know if you caught that! on the recoil, only thing I can come up with is different powder, but that still does not really make sense to me.

GC'ed + lubed + 30g reloader 7 = recoil about like a factory 303 round - velocity aprox. 1900 fps

same bullet, sized down and PP'ed up + 44g imr3031 = recoil about like a .223 round - aprox. 2400 fps

primers show no preasure signs at all, but 8 pp'ed shots in about 5 min, the barrel was so hot you could not keep your hand on it or it would have left skin!

303Guy
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, I did catch the 40yds.

On the hot barrel, I had that with my hornet and Lil'Gun. I increased the charge slightly (even though pressure was already a tad high) and the barrel heating dissappeared! Who would have thought a hornet could heat a barrel? I'm guessing your powder is burning in a way that heats the barrel, at below optimum pressure. Try increasing the powder charge and see if it runs cooler.

On the felt recoil, peak pressure differences. Also, a powder that is gaining pressure progressively will press the butt into your shoulder firmly before the recoil inreases so it won't be noticeable. I fitted a shrouded muzzle break on my No4 and I am not away of any recoil at all. But it must be there. Same with my 303-25, which is suppressed. Zero felt recoil. (Without the suppressor, one can actually feel the recoil. The 25 uses the same powder charge as the No4).

Digital Dan
07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Tree Rat, the 200 grain bullet is light for the .358, that may account for the mild recoil, in part. On another, PP loads generate less pressure if all else is equal....charge, bullet weight etc. Your accuracy looks very good, given offhand shooting. Try it again, off a rest.

Don't know how it would work with PP as I've loaded J-bullets for the most part in that cartridge, but H335 is my go to powder for 225/250 grain bullets. IMR4895 and Varget do well too.

Southern Son
07-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Tree Rat,
What did your projectiles weigh in at un-patched? What did you cast them out of? Nice shooting off hand, by the way. Are you going to shoot some over a rest?

TREERAT
07-20-2009, 01:01 AM
bullets weight is 209 with out patch, 210g with patch. air cooled wheel weights, 13 bhn. and yes I will soon be trying them from a solid rest. just have not felt up to getting it done yet.

Southern Son
07-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for that Tree Rat. I have an old .308 Win Parker Hale here that has a stuffed barrel. I am thinking that I might get the barrel yanked off and a new 20 inch .358 Win barrel put on. I might even try an set it up with a forward mounted scope (cheap"scout rifle"). If I can save the money to make it happen, then the rifle will be used for cast boolits only, probably PP cast boolits at that. What is your rifle?

sav300
07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Southern Son,If you want/need some of those boolits,I can post some to you.Lubed and checked or naked np.

TREERAT
07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
ruger frontier scout carbine, 16 1/2 inch barrel, 1 in 12 twist.

do'nt forget all the .357 mag pistol bullets you can also use.
158 jsp at 2900 fps does a number to coyotes!

I think I will try some 148g wad cutters with a light load of unique and go squirrel hunting.

303Guy
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I think I will try some 148g wad cutters with a light load of unique and go squirrel hunting.Would the 358 be able to hold shorter boolits close enough to the lands - like 120grs?

TREERAT
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
my rifle has a tight chamber, but long neck with a short throat. that is why I use 30-06 cases trimed to exactly fit my chamber, with the short throat a full wad cutter seated .050 inch ahead of the case will touch the lands. I found if I trimmed the cases to s.a.m.i. spec that they are extreamly short an allow gas cutting when the bullet is in the throat, so trimming long to fit my chamber solved all my problems. my cases are .040 inch longer than spec in all my manuals for the .358 win.

303Guy
07-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I noticed the long necks. You got lucky with your rifle. I think so anyway. To my mind, a long neck is ideal for patched boolits. So, you could actually use very short boolits. You could have fun with that!:Fire: (Plus it looks good).:mrgreen:

I don't understand why there aren't more 358's around!? A friend has one in BLR with a short barrel. It makes an ideal bush/brush rifle and is not lacking in mid-range capability. Plus, the case is small enough for moderate loads without low load density. It doesn't lack in power either!

TREERAT
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
yes the more I learn what many different things that can be done with the .358 win, the more I like it. Too bad many people do not, but for me it is the greatest thing.

just wish it would feed from the mag with all bullets, it is a single shot with any thing shorter than my 200g bullets.

Nrut
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
yes the more I learn what many different things that can be done with the .358 win, the more I like it. Too bad many people do not, but for me it is the greatest thing.

just wish it would feed from the mag with all bullets, it is a single shot with any thing shorter than my 200g bullets.

What is causing the feeding problem TREERAT?... Are the boolit noses hanging up on the chamber face?..
I have one of these little rifles on order, just waiting on importation papers now...I plan on adding a front site and use a NECG peep on it once I get my loads worked up...I am thinking that it will be a most versatile rifle...
:-D

TREERAT
07-23-2009, 03:49 AM
short bullets hit the edge of the chamber at too much of an angle and wedge, I could proabably file the feed rails an correct it but I do not want to take the chance of screwing up my rifle. and the chamber is sharp on edge, 90 degree, if it had a small bevel it would be better.

why in the **** ruger did not put iron sights on this rifle is beyond me, I am getting very p.o.ed at all the gun companys for not putting sights on there rifles any more. its crazy, buy a new rifle and can not even use it until you shell out more money for a scope. by all means if you want a scope thats fine, but put iron sights on a rifle so it can be used if you do not want to scope it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Nrut
07-24-2009, 12:52 AM
X2 On your open site rant!

yondering
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
X3 on open sights!

I learned to shoot with open sights and still prefer them for anything inside 150 yards.