PDA

View Full Version : Another "new" WW?

Nora
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Was out back today turning a couple of buckets of WW's into muffins. I came across a new (to me) type that I have not seen before. It looks just like the zinc riveted type but instead made from a semi fibrous plastic. The one's I encountered had the BMW logo on them. I heated one up to see what it would do. It melted into a gooey rubber like blob. Has anyone else encountered these?

doghawg
07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I found my first plastic WW last weekend but am finding lots more of these.....Zn

07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Nope. Another odd-ball to be on the look-out for, as if there isn't enough, already.

Perhaps, doghawg's very informative picture should be turned into a sticky, for all those new to amassing and smelting wheel weights.

high standard 40
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I've seen plenty of polymer stick-ons but a clip-on would be new to me.

XWrench3
07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
how in the heck do they get plastisized rubber to weigh enough to be wheel weights????

finishman2000
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
this is why I'm buying all the ww's i can get my hands on.......it's only going to get worse.

Old Ironsights
07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I get the polymer clip-ons fairly frequently. Never in volume, but I do have enough to notice when sorting... Always check them with dykes. They clip as easily as lead, but show no shiny.

Nora
07-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's what they look like. One weights .213 oz and the other .216 oz. The only thing that I can think of is to micro balance a Z rated tire. As if one really does have the road to go over 150 mph. For the sake of us lead scroungers I feel they should be banned as a matter of public safety. Wouldn't want to be the one to put any unnecessary toxins into the atmosphere wile smelting.

07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Okay, now that I see them, I've found them. They are held on by a steel clip that is usually in the bucket. Cut one open, once, and thought is was aluminum.

captaint
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I believe there is already a sticky with pic's of crappy WW's. Mike

bingo
07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Found something dif. today while sorting ww today. A reg. looking clip on but it was iron. marked fe. I thought it was bad enough getting lots of stick ons fe., now this.

Now my reject piles keep getting bigger.

I basicly have 1 steady source. Think I will fill a 5 gal. bucket( wont be long) with junk weights and take it to him and trade it for another bucket ofww (Which of course will contain more rejects).

Bingo

nonferrous
07-10-2009, 12:34 AM
What happens to a zn or fe weight if it gets in the pot by accident?
Thanks

leadman
07-10-2009, 12:46 AM
nonferrous, the zn (zinc) will melt around 770', the fe will not melt in your pot as it is iron.
Both float on the lead if melt temp is kept low, I try to stay around 600'.
Remember, all zinc are not marked. There are some lead weights with a heavy plastic type coating or heavy paint that take a little longer than uncoated lead to melt.

Shiloh
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
There is more zinc WW all the time. every batch. My buddy scored some WW and almost half were zinc.

Shiloh

nonferrous
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
On the off chance that the pot temp gets too high and some unsorted Zinc melts into the WW smelt, how will that affect the boolits cast from that mix?
Thanks

Hardcast416taylor
07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine, yes I do have a friend, who is a service manager at a Chevrolet dealership told me of a new ww coming out soon. Seems it is a polymer plastic with sand mixed in while the plastic is in a "liquid" state. It is spread out to cool and then cut to weight size. Robert

357maximum
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Last time I got ww from a good source, he showed me some new weights that are a clear flattened tube, sealed on both ends, filled with iron fines, and it is a stick on.

BTW I picked up 2 buckets that day...they cost me $600...but they came with four free 17" rimmed tires for my truck.:mrgreen: I actually changed tire dealers over the whole ww issue.:twisted:

We are skeeeee rewd fellas..get em whilst ya can...I am pretty much set..I think...not sure though..I will keep gettin what I can until my casting shop sinks it's foundations.[smilie=1: I would hate to have to buy alloy other than pure lead.

evan price
07-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Got a half bucket of WW at Pep Boys, there was about 25% FE and ZN in there. At least it was free.

armyrat1970
07-11-2009, 06:22 AM
On the off chance that the pot temp gets too high and some unsorted Zinc melts into the WW smelt, how will that affect the boolits cast from that mix?
Thanks

A few months back I had a problem with zinc contamination in my casting pot. I use a bottom pour and it clogged my spout. It took a little trick that I got from another poster on another site to clean it. I have casted since than but I believe there is still a little zinc clog in the spout as it has never poured the same since. Zinc contamination will cause your mold not to fill properly. You boolits when dropped may look like a piece of chewed up bubble gum. Some say if you run your temps high enough the melt will fill the mold well but I never saw this as I cranked my pot to the max and still had problems with the zinc. The best advice is to stay away from any zinc weights. You Don't Want Zinc In Your Casting Pot At All. It is a pain to deal with. There are stickies that deal with this. I suggest you research all of them before you begin smelting any WWS. And don't smelt WWS in you casting pot. Get something like a crab boil cooking pot and a dutch oven to smelt. Pour ingots and use your ingots in your casting pot.

XWrench3
07-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't want to be the one to put any unnecessary toxins into the atmosphere wile smelting
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! big brother (EPA) will hear you, and obama will use this info to ban cating your own!

And don't smelt WWS in you casting pot.
i really have to, i can not afford a second melting pot to smelt with!

07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Melted zinc will cause your smelt to turn to an oatmeal like mush. If you are really observant, you might notice it in time to remove the mess before it contaminates your entire smelt. If not, you'll have to toss it all. A waste of good lead for not paying attention.