PDA

View Full Version : lube your slugs?

lifeon2
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Anyone ever tumble lube their slugs? I forget where I was reading it but I remember a post about useing bore butter to lube slugs and it got me to thinking a little. If no one has I think I just might give that a go here in a few days

longbow
07-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I really haven't had any leading problems but I am shooting smoothbore. Still, I do often either lube the slugs or use a grease cookie style lube. Actually, the last slugs I loaded were lubed with some old black powder lube.

I think I have read that a few people here tumble lube for full bore slugs in rifled guns.

Can't hurt and might just stop any chance of leading.

Longbow

Blammer
07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I use a full bore slug in my testing, I either LLA the slug, or put a lube soaked felt patch behind the slug. No leading problems so far, and that's with a rifled slug barrel.

turbo1889
07-08-2009, 01:08 AM
3 parts JPW & 1 part LLA (measurements eye-balled by volume) is what I tumble lube my full bore slugs and balls in for both rifled and smooth bore shooting. Inside the wad type slugs and balls don't need lube, nor would it be a good idea for those type.

Matter of fact that's my standard tumble lube recipe for all my tumble lubing. Pure JPW is a little brittle and flaky. Pure LLA is too sticky and gunky. Mixing three parts to one part respectively makes a just right lube that sticks well to the slug/bullet and isn't brittle, flaky, sticky, or gunky, and is relatively mess free once it dries.