PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube

nonferrous
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I am sure that this is old hat to you guys but I am just getting back in and have questions.
Tumble Lube sounds like a neat deal and I am very interested in it. It looks like the way to go is with the micro groove molds and LLA. Is there a downside, as to leading, accuracy, storage, etc? It seems strange that sizing is not needed.
It would seem that there would be less mess and the brass must end up cleaner.
Also, 4 oz of LLA seems to be a small amount, would you suggest starting right out with a larger bottle?
I will be starting with 38/357 156 gr SWC with 148 WC to follow.
Thanks.

snaggdit
07-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I have found LLA to work well in handgun loads. You do NOT need the tumble lube style boolits to use it. It will work on all styles. You will get smoke from it. As for "sizing is not needed", this depends on the size your boolits drop at and the "groove" size of your barrel. If the boolit is .001 to .002 over groove size you do not need to size, no. 4 oz. will do a LOT of boolits. A few drops on the boolits in the bottom of a ice cream pail and swirl a while. I usually add drops until I can just see a slight color change to the boolits. Spread on wax paper and let dry overnight. Load and shoot!

nonferrous
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info, based on your experience, would you say to start with the Micro groove mold or to get a standard groove type which would allow conventional lubrisizing as well as tumble lube?
Thanks

snaggdit
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
If you go with a conventional lube groove style, you will still be able to use it with a lube sizer later. Gives you more options. Just my $.02

kamikaze1a
07-07-2009, 05:40 PM
LLA works well but I find that the lube coating on the nose the problem. The stickiness of the lube is the drawback for me. Caused a few FTF's. Wiping off the lube is a pain so tried rolling the boo's on a sheet of metal that was coated with lube which worked better but some lube still ended up on the nose. Went back to lube sizing.... Also tried JPW that was a bit better than LLA but still too sticky.

By the way, as was mentioned, LLA works well on conventional grooved boo's too, but I used to lube, size and lube again so find it simpler to size/lube with conventional lube sizer...

Recluse
07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Been tumble-lubing some of my boolits for a long time.

Biggest problem for most folks starting out is they use too much of the stuff. Then it gets sticky and can cause you some headaches. I mix my tumble-lube concoction up 45% LLA, 45% JPW and 10% mineral spirits. I heat up the bottle with a heat gun, then drizzle a very, very thin "Z" over the boolits. Swirl thoroughly in an old Cool Whip or margerin container, set on some wax paper and let dry overnight. Size, then repeat.

No problems, no leading, no excess smoke, easy to clean bores, superb accuracy.

Micro bands or traditional lube grooves? I purchase moulds based upon the boolit design and weight I want rather than how I will lube it. Regardless of micro bands or traditional grooves, I size all boolits. This way, I know they're consistent and it eliminates one more variable.

:coffee:

nonferrous
07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks,
Looks like I will have to go back to school on sizing, been away from this for awhile.
Thanks again

Bret4207
07-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I use Mule Snot (LLA) on all types of boolits in handgun and rifle up to maybe 14-1500 fps. I've used it past that but not a lot. It's not my only lube, but it seems to work pretty good in a lot of applications. Some rifles I have detest the stuff it seems. Try it and see if you like it.

On the stickiness- I dust my boolits with moly or graphite powder and have even used cornstarch baby powder to get rid of the sticky. Seems to work for me.

nonferrous
07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Bret4207,
Thanks again, my learning curve on this is more alpine than curved.

lead-1
07-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I had recently Aloxed some rifle boolits and after a few days of setting up I sifted a small amount of mica over them.

Slow Elk 45/70
07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
+1 on a little dusting with mica/graphite or talc if the stickie bothers you, or you can wipe the nose after loading the boolit..it works fine in most pistol loads and rifles up to about 1500fps as stated above....but there are always exceptions..try it

armyrat1970
07-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Bret4207,
Thanks again, my learning curve on this is more alpine than curved.

Seems you must ski a little?

wallenba
07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
When I started casting I thought tumble lubing was great! It still is, if you shoot primarily outdoors. I still tumble lube, but I now have a Lyman 4500 on the bench too. I f that tells you where you will be in a few years or less, hint , hint.

randyrat
07-09-2009, 08:11 AM
You'll find the cost and time saving will outweigh the small drawbacks of using LLA.
The LLA/beeswax/JPW/mineral spirits is a great mix. You may want to experiement some and you'll find a recepe for most loads.

Without stiring up the Beesnest, you can go farther than 1500 ft/sec with a combo of the above with out leading and still have great accuracy. I don't want you to think there is a limit and never try to go further.

BTW- You will figure out why some call it mule snot in short order.

cajun shooter
07-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I read on this forum where a user of LLA dipped his bullets and then put them on a sheet to dry. Don't use the stuff but the idea sounded good

Gohon
07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Without stiring up the Beesnest, you can go farther than 1500 ft/sec with a combo of the above with out leading and still have great accuracy.

I would concur with that. I've pushed 22 and 30 caliber up to 2300 fps with no issues. Ditto for 35 caliber to 1800 fps and 45 caliber to 1600 fps. It all comes down to bullet to bore fit and alloy used.

7br
07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I have never tumble lubed. Started casting with a friend that had all of the tools, then picked up a 450 in a box of junk at a gun auction. That said, does anyone have a pic of what they think a properly tumble lubed boolit should look like?

kamikaze1a
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
It should be coated enough to cover the bearing surface. You will think that it isn't enough the first time but a session at the range should show you that a little goes a long way... Too much and it gets really messy and will gum up your piece. I used to use it exclusively but find that a lube sizer is more suited for my needs. As a matter of fact, I even tried a stick of Alox for my sizer but found that it was too soft and contact transferred so went to a harder lube.

nonferrous
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Armyrat1970,
I did used to ski, I was in Minnesota, I thought for life and then I moved to Florida and things changed. Now all I have is the Harley, Browning and Smith and Wesson for smiles, but I make do.
The alpine reference was meant to imply that my learning curve on boolit casting is steep, as in, I am just starting and I do not feel like the brightest bulb on the tree right now. So much to learn and so little time, I am running out of bought boolits.

nonferrous
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks to all,
This reinforcement is very helpful, in that I was in the process of trying to figure out what to buy in a lubrisizer, (new, used, heater, no heater, etc.). Then I got wind of tumble lubing and really thought it may not work too well.
If it is as you say, it's the way I will start lubing now. This will let me get started and the lubrisizer can come later.
I am impressed with the vel's you mention, right now I need to get started on .38 and .44 target loads. Also, the tips on dusting will be put to good use.
Thaks again

Jim_Fleming
07-12-2009, 05:52 AM
add 1 to what snaggdit said...

I hope to never use anything else...

I have found LLA to work well in handgun loads. You do NOT need the tumble lube style boolits to use it. It will work on all styles. You will get smoke from it. As for "sizing is not needed", this depends on the size your boolits drop at and the "groove" size of your barrel. If the boolit is .001 to .002 over groove size you do not need to size, no. 4 oz. will do a LOT of boolits. A few drops on the boolits in the bottom of a ice cream pail and swirl a while. I usually add drops until I can just see a slight color change to the boolits. Spread on wax paper and let dry overnight. Load and shoot!

armyrat1970
07-12-2009, 06:11 AM
add 1 to what snaggdit said...

I hope to never use anything else...

Wondering what snaggdit would actually look like if he ever cleaned his face? Wonder if he ever cleans his face or is this the way he always goes out in public?:mrgreen:

snaggdit
07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
You could look a few days ago in Swapping and Selling for a thread I started about borrowing a sinker mold. I posted a few fishing pics and I don't need to wear camo to catch fish! LOL