PDA

View Full Version : Bead on a Ruger SA front sight

nighthunter
07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Has anyone installed a bead or fiber optic sight on the front blade sight of a Ruger SA revolver. My 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk shoots high at 25 yards with the rear sight adjusted fully down. I'm useing it with a ghost ring rear sight. I was thinking that installing a bead on the front sight would give me a better sight and lower the point of impact at the same time.

Nighthunter

deltaenterprizes
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I would soft solder a small diameter brass rod on the top and see how much elevation you get. How high does it shoot at 25 yds?

nighthunter
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
6 to 8 inches depending on the load. I had to file down the original rear blade insert to get it to hit point of aim so it is not the ghost ring blade that I am useing now. Must have something to do with the shorter barrel. Rugers web sight shows the same front sight for 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 inch barrels.

Nighthunter

NHlever
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
One member here (I believe) filed a "V" in the top of his front sight blade, and epoxied a fiber optic bead along the top. It worked well for him for the same reasons you are seeking something different. I had the same problem with my SS SBH 5 1/2". Ruger makes a taller front sight blade for the .45 Colt, so I called, and ordered a couple. That was easy to install since they just pin in, and solved my problem. Blued guns are harder to fix!

archmaker
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I did the epoxy route and the fiber optic bead, works great with the ghost ring.

Does not look all that great because I was not sure I would like it so I thought to myself, let's see if this does what I want. It did and seeing how it worked I figure I would do a better job when it came off. Four years later it is still there.

I used the same epoxy I use for making bows, dries clear and is very strong.

May not look as clean as the factor job but I do love it for low light shooting!

Junior1942
07-23-2009, 06:34 AM
One member here (I believe) filed a "V" in the top of his front sight blade, and epoxied a fiber optic bead along the top. It worked well for him for the same reasons you are seeking something different. I had the same problem with my SS SBH 5 1/2". Ruger makes a taller front sight blade for the .45 Colt, so I called, and ordered a couple. That was easy to install since they just pin in, and solved my problem. Blued guns are harder to fix! 'Twas me. See http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/44jb.htm It's still running four years later.

nighthunter
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you Junior .... that information is exactly what I was looking for.

Nighthunter