PDA

View Full Version : Are these powders the Same?

.45Cole
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I have heard that
HP-38=WW231
H110=WW296
and
H414=WW760

Of the first two I'm almost sure, but there seems to be a larger margin between the h414 and ww760. I see in Pet Loads Waters likes ww760 more and also a few benchresters seem to like ww760 more. Though I would ask.

NVcurmudgeon
07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
According to "Propellant Profiles" in old Handloader magazines, all three of these pairings are the same powders. Lot to lot variation can be troublesome with any powder, and when two different brand names are used it is possible that even more difference can be experienced. All the handloading manuals caution that we should back off and work up loads anew even when using two lots of the "same" cannister grade powder. I wonder how many of us do that!

Rocky Raab
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Those pairings are indeed the exact same powders in different cans. The other two are HS-6/W540 and HS-7/W571.

One that is NOT true is the assumption that H335 and W748 are the same. They are most definitely not, according to Chris Hodgdon.

On the question of backing off and working up again, I have an article in the current issue of The Varmint Hunter Magazine called "The 95 Percent Solution" which addresses just that. If you don't have access to that magazine, there is aversion of the article on my website at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/95S.htm

(If you have trouble seeing the pages, start using something other than Internet Exploder!)

MtGun44
07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
+1 on both comments. No Hodgdon equiv of W748 that I know of.

The story I have heard is that Winchester used to own the St. Marks powder plant,
made their powders and sold some to Hodgdon, who marketed it under their own
numbers. Win has basically gotten out of a lot of shooting stuff, sold off their gun
making operations and also powder making. General Dynamics owns the St. Marks
plant now, and Hodgdon packages and markets Win and Hodgdon powders, along
with IMR, which they own now.

Bill

Shiloh
07-07-2009, 10:38 AM
All the handloading manuals caution that we should back off and work up loads anew even when using two lots of the "same" cannister grade powder. I wonder how many of us do that!

I've been putting the remnants of the old can of Bullseye or Unique into the new can and swirling around for a long time. Not recommending this practice as it is not advised by the powder companies.

Of the three times I've tested, from lot to lot, there hasn't been more than 20 fps difference when clocked. Usually less.

Shiloh

jdgabbard
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
All the handloading manuals caution that we should back off and work up loads anew even when using two lots of the "same" cannister grade powder. I wonder how many of us do that!

Well, first off, if you buy a big enough can you shouldn't have to do it that often. Secondly, if you nowhere near max it shouldn't be an issue. Especially for a plinking load. And lastly we do lots of things the powder companies tell us not to do all the time, and I don't think there is going to be enough of a variation to do any damage, and if there is then the powder companies REALLY messed up the burn rates.

Rocky Raab
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Yup. Even with a one pound can, if you use the previous can until there is only one or two ounces of powder left, you can safely and confidently mix it into the new can. Do mix thoroughly, but don't shake violently. I rotate the can end over end and spin it in my hands for a few minutes after dumping the new powder in.

If you think for a second, you'll realize why this is safe. If the new lot is a wee bit faster, you are blending in a powder that is slower, thus averaging the burn rate. Ditto if the new lot is slower.

All this is predicated on ONLY blending the exact same brand and type of powder, however. Never even think of blending two different powders as there is NO way to predict what will happen.