PDA

View Full Version : Need some help selecting a top punch

mugsie
07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I just purchased the Lee 429-420-2R mold for my 44 mag. Recieved it on Friday and went out today and cast a bunch of beautiful bullets. Some people hate em' and some love em' - for their molds, put me in the love em' column. I have a lot of Lyman, but nothing beats the price of the six banger. I can cast in a half hour what it takes me hours to do with the Lymans.

Anyway, I cast all these perfect bullets, only to find I don't have a top punch for my Lyman Lubrisizer. What top punch would fit this bullet?

Thanks for the help....

Dale53
07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
The Lyman #251 top punch for their round nose bullet in the .44 should be about as close as you will get. If it marks the bullet, you can easily put a bit of glue from a glue gun or a bit of epoxy inside and from it to YOUR bullet.

By the way, I suspect you mean you are using the Lee 429-240-2R mould (not the 420 mould)?

If you have the Lyman #374 top punch (round nose punch for the .45 ACP for the Lyman 452374 bullet), you MAY be able to use it by adding hot glue and molding it to the bullet nose of YOUR bullet. That presupposes it will push the bullet deep enough into the sizing die to size the .44 bullet far enough towards the nose. If you already have it, it will be easy to try. If you don't, then just get the #251.

Dale53