PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Swaging equipment or stores (Las vegas or San Diego, LA )

chrismetallica1
07-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi All,
I live in the UK and bullet swaging equipment is hard to come by. I have loads of reloading stuff but fancied a go at bullet swaging. I have just booked to go out to the states in October. Im going to be in Las Vegas, San Diego then LA. Hopefully im going to buy a magpull PRS stock for the AR15 I have on order and a few speed loaders and mabe a new Armson O.E.G while im there but. However Is there any good gun shops I could buy a set of dies to turn .22 rimfire jackets to 224 bullet heads or should I just order a set from corbin online and take the hit on UK import taxes?

Ps. Info on any good stores to visit would be helpful. I might pick up a few sets of reloading dies and a new powder measure aswell

All the best

Chris

my reloading gear
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL480/4004437/20074621/355863696.jpg

ANeat
07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Right now the swager guys are pretty well backordered. You might call and tell them your situation and see if they can get something together for you.

Im not sure if there are any stores that would have the stuff on the shelf

chrismetallica1
07-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Cheers I thought so. I will probably order the swaging stuff online and just pay the extra import costs. That will leave plenty of room in my case to buy other stuff when im over

barryjyoung
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi All,
I live in the UK and bullet swaging equipment is hard to come by. I have loads of reloading stuff but fancied a go at bullet swaging. I have just booked to go out to the states in October. Im going to be in Las Vegas, San Diego then LA. Hopefully im going to buy a magpull PRS stock for the AR15 I have on order and a few speed loaders and mabe a new Armson O.E.G while im there but. [/IMG]

Hi Chris:

I thought the free people in England had been disarmed like the free people in Australia and other free countries. It seems like people have to live in countries that are not free to own guns these days. Can you own firearms?

Love the picture of your loading bench. I am a Lee fan too. I have two Loadmasters and a Pro1000. Just sold a Lee Turret press.

Have fun.

Barry

chrismetallica1
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Barry,
Yes we can own guns but there are strict rules covering them. There are 2 main types of liscence in the UK. A SGC (shotgun Certificate) FAC (Firearms Certificate). The third section 5 is basically military/police or anyone made exempt by the home office. IE not very many people..

Shotguns are limited to 3 rounds maximum on a SGC with a shell containing 5 projectiles or more with a maximum shot size of 36 cal.

Firearms are restricted to what they call section 1 rules. Basically no semi-auto guns except .22lr. All centerfire guns are bolt action, underleaver, trapdoor or straight pull. The minimum legnth for any gun is 24". Any shotgun that has more than 3 shots is classed as section 1. We must also provide a reason for requiring each gun, were we are going to use it and the ammount of ammunition you can posses at any 1 time is printed on you FAC. Shotgun slug and tracer rounds are ok on FAC. A special condition is required for expanding ammunition for hunting. Silencers / moderators or ok on centerfire and rimfire guns.

All pistols, semi-auto, full auto firearms are classed as section 5 which basically means banned unless you are the Police or Military or otherwise made exempt by the Home Secretary (eg. pistol for olympic athlete) . Armour piercing, incendiary, HE ans slap round are also section 5 and thus banned.

Black powder guns are classed as section 1. However they are allowed to break the minimum 24" rule due to there slow reload capability. However a special liscence (Explosive cert) is required to purchase and store black powder. Saftey paperwork is also required to transport black powder.

So all in all we are still allowed to shoot just not the same stuff.

barryjyoung
07-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Barry,
Yes we can own guns but there are strict rules covering them. There are 2 main types of liscence in the UK. A SGC (shotgun Certificate) FAC (Firearms Certificate). The third section 5 is basically military/police or anyone made exempt by the home office. IE not very many people..

Shotguns are limited to 3 rounds maximum on a SGC with a shell containing 5 projectiles or more with a maximum shot size of 36 cal.

Firearms are restricted to what they call section 1 rules. Basically no semi-auto guns except .22lr. All centerfire guns are bolt action, underleaver, trapdoor or straight pull. The minimum legnth for any gun is 24". Any shotgun that has more than 3 shots is classed as section 1. We must also provide a reason for requiring each gun, were we are going to use it and the ammount of ammunition you can posses at any 1 time is printed on you FAC. Shotgun slug and tracer rounds are ok on FAC. A special condition is required for expanding ammunition for hunting. Silencers / moderators or ok on centerfire and rimfire guns.

All pistols, semi-auto, full auto firearms are classed as section 5 which basically means banned unless you are the Police or Military or otherwise made exempt by the Home Secretary (eg. pistol for olympic athlete) . Armour piercing, incendiary, HE ans slap round are also section 5 and thus banned.

Black powder guns are classed as section 1. However they are allowed to break the minimum 24" rule due to there slow reload capability. However a special liscence (Explosive cert) is required to purchase and store black powder. Saftey paperwork is also required to transport black powder.

So all in all we are still allowed to shoot just not the same stuff.

Hi Chris:

Thank you for that extensive and thoughtful reply. Here in Washington State USA (Upper left below Canada which is a free country with free citizens that cannot own automatics or suppressors), we cannot have fully automatic weapons or suppressors. People in other states can if they pay the right tax.

In Iraq you can have whatever you want. That is not a free country. They can have machine guns. We both live in free countries and cannot.

Barry

scrapcan
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Chris,

Look up CH/4D tool and die and give them a call or send an email with your wants. They maybe able to help you when you get on this side of the pond.

7of7
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Check this guy out, http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=Stocklist. He is Richard Corbin, and also makes dies..

Sixgun Symphony
07-08-2009, 08:57 AM
That Lyman press and the Lee cast iron press will work for alot of swaging chores. CH/4D makes swaging dies that will work on those heavy duty reloading presses.

http://www.ch4d.com/

You might also want to check out the Corbin website.

http://www.bulletswage.com/

chrismetallica1
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Cheers for the information guys

emptyhead
07-11-2009, 12:14 PM
While your in Vegas do some full auto shooting at one of the gun shops there. It's fun

ETG
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Check out Blackmon - I have his dies and press and am very happy with them and a lot cheaper than corbin. I'm still a newbie as far as swaging - only made about 1500 223 projos so far :-)

chrismetallica1
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
While your in Vegas do some full auto shooting at one of the gun shops there. It's fun

I will do. I visited the gun store and las vegas gun range last time I was over. Its on my list of things to do :D