PDA

View Full Version : Stevens favorite....here we go again!

madcaster
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I bought one off AA,and with the ideal of making a .25/20 centerfire....originally a .25 rimfire,it should be okay with medium loads I am thinking...famous last words,huh?
:drinks:

redneckdan
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I posted about rechambering one some time back and the general consensus was that it wasn't a very good idea.

Bent Ramrod
07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Some of the "Ladies' Models" based on the Favorite action were chambered in .22-15-60 Stevens centerfire, but the factory did not offer any other centerfire chambering for this version and offered no centerfire chambering for any of the standard Favorites.

The 1894 Favorite in stock form is pretty marginal even for the High-Speed .22 LR. A carton or so of them will loosen things up pretty noticeably, IME. The 1915 version is heavier and will take the High-Speed .22's but is still not suitable for any centerfire rifle cartridge. I've read of a couple conversions to the .32 S&W Short revolver cartridge; apparently, this is safe with Pyrodex or the equivalent pressure loads.

Somebody really ought to bring back the .25 RF. I keep hoping...

Marvin S
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I converted mine from 32RF to 32SW long. No problems with it yet.

madcaster
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Dilemna took care of itself,just about 45 minutes ago a neighbor called and asked what I had that I would consider trading...so he is now the owner,and is planning on just hanging it on the wall.I did let him have the .25 Rimfire Shorts I had-one full box of Canucks.
So thanks guys!

shotman
07-06-2009, 01:25 AM
I could not believe the prices that some were selling for on GB and AA the shells are around $75 and up
Anyone have a stripped or just a receiver they will part with? rick

Bret4207
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't use the Favorite for a 25-20. A 32 S+W or Long, yes, I even use a Rem #6 for that. Even the Stevens 44 is marginal for the 25-20.

pietro
07-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Count me as one who wouldn't do it.

The Favorite wasn't meant, by the maker, as suitable for centerfire cartridges - and there were some extremely mild loads, when it was first introduced in 1890.

The barrels are a slip-fit in their receivers, and the tilting breechblock had no lock, so to speak - the only thing holding it against the breech is it's forward pivot pin's leverage.

With pressures any higher than those of the early rimfires of the day, it's a tossup as to whether the barrel would move away from the breechblock, or vice-versa.

Frank De Haas, Mister Single Shot, said essentially the same thing - and I would hardly disagree with him.

trevj
07-07-2009, 09:05 AM
When you take a Favorite apart, take a good look at the two screws that hold the action guts in.
They are a bit smaller than 3/16" each, and are not supported across the full span of the action.

These are all that take the load from firing. Not much.

Cheers
Trev