PDA

View Full Version : Deprime at the range

218bee
07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Wondering if any of you deprime cases at the range when using BP. I usually throw mine in a jug of diluted windex or water and detergent but when I get home then need to deprime them. Is there a hand-tool that allows easy depriming? Seems like a good way to go.

e15cap
07-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I use a tool made locally that is made for this and then throw them in the water and Dawn solution. Works great. Available from Shiloh Rifle.
Best, Roger

August
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Buffalo Arms has a couple of choices. I got the one that turns a Lee hand primer into a decapper and am happy with it. It's slow, but not too tedious.

Don McDowell
07-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I use a Lee hand press and universal decapping die to decap at the range, toss the cases into a juf of simple green and water.

Gellot Wilde
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Always...got a simple decapping tool from Cal Graf, been going strong for at least 10 years, maybe more.

Southern Son
07-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I found a Lee Loader (the ones you use a mallet with) in 45/70 and I just used the de-capping rod and the "shell holder" that came in the kit. The de-capping rod broke (bummer), so I made a new one. You just need a cheap screwdriver (the ones with the changeable hex head bits). I found one of the Allen Key bits that was just a little bit too big to fit through the flash hole. I put the bit into my hand drill and spun it against a file until it fit throught the flash hole. I then glued it into the screwdriver and that has replaced the busted de-capping rod.

dromia
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Meacham Rifles do a Pope style decapper, very nice but pricey.

I also have a DAT which fits into a Lee priming tool.

For 577/450 and Snider I use a Lee hand press with a NDFS size die in it with the decapping pin screwed enough so that it decaps without rezizng.

Then as has already been said you can just knock them out with a pin.

Boz330
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Lyman 310 tool with a 300 mag die backed out and the decap pin set to push the primer out. Jury rigged but I had all the parts so it works for me and doesn't take up much space. Cases go in Dawn and water.

Bob