PDA

View Full Version : MEC 650 Help

Rich219
07-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Can anyone get me a good picture of the right side of their press. Specifically the crimp die cam? Also can anyone explain what this piece does? It doesn't appear to do anything, what is the adjustment it has available do?

jsizemore
07-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Rich, Go to www.mecreloaders.com and click on the owners manuals and then your loader. Scroll down until you get the info you need. If that doesn't solve your problem, call MEC on Monday and talk to the folks there.

Rich219
07-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Rich, Go to www.mecreloaders.com and click on the owners manuals and then your loader. Scroll down until you get the info you need. If that doesn't solve your problem, call MEC on Monday and talk to the folks there.

The pictures in their manual are not large enough nor is the quality enough to see the detail well enough. I took the press I bought partially apart to clean it up and just want to make sure I have the one section put back together correctly.

I just didn't see what the cam i mentioned above does.

Rockydog
07-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Rich, The cam adjustment is part of the crimp process that recesses the face of the crimp adding strength to the crimp. The adjustment rebates the face to form a slight ring around the outside of the case. When adjusting the crimp just follow the MEC directions exactly and your shells will be perfect. Too much crimp and you'll form a hole in the center of the crimp that shot will leak from. Not enough crimp and hulls won't stay closed. For the most part Rem Nitro, STS, and Gun Club hulls will work at the same setting. Win AAs usually work at that same setting. You'll probably have to readjust for Federal Gold Medal, Gold Metal paper or Fiocchi hulls as well as some promo loads from various manufacturers. If you have trouble, have all of your wrenches, screw drivers, etc. handy along with a half dozen completed loads from the crimp start die. Call MEC and they'll walk you through it on the phone. Nicest people you'll ever do business with. RD

Rich219
07-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Rich, The cam adjustment is part of the crimp process that recesses the face of the crimp adding strength to the crimp. The adjustment rebates the face to form a slight ring around the outside of the case. When adjusting the crimp just follow the MEC directions exactly and your shells will be perfect. Too much crimp and you'll form a hole in the center of the crimp that shot will leak from. Not enough crimp and hulls won't stay closed. For the most part Rem Nitro, STS, and Gun Club hulls will work at the same setting. Win AAs usually work at that same setting. You'll probably have to readjust for Federal Gold Medal, Gold Metal paper or Fiocchi hulls as well as some promo loads from various manufacturers. If you have trouble, have all of your wrenches, screw drivers, etc. handy along with a half dozen completed loads from the crimp start die. Call MEC and they'll walk you through it on the phone. Nicest people you'll ever do business with. RD

I'll have to call them Monday. I just don't see how the cam could do anything because it is only attached to the one metal arm of the press, maybe a part is missing, that is why I was looking for someone who may have a close up picture.

Rockydog
07-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Rich, Load up a shell and carefully watch it work. As you move the lever to finish the crimp you'll see it start to make contact. Stop at that point and look at the crimp. Reinsert and finish the crimp. I think you'll see when it comes into play. RD

Rich219
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Rich, Load up a shell and carefully watch it work. As you move the lever to finish the crimp you'll see it start to make contact. Stop at that point and look at the crimp. Reinsert and finish the crimp. I think you'll see when it comes into play. RD

I thought the press was a 12ga, but when I bought it I found out it was a 20ga. I don't have any 20ga to load so I just want to make sure it works fine before I sell it.