PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to

canuck4570
07-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I wish to shoot one of my gas check mould without the gas check,
would it be possible to machine the piston of my seizer die like the cup of the gas check itself in order to keep the lube from lubing the gas check portion?
thank you for you time
Canuck

deltaenterprizes
07-04-2009, 11:47 PM
That would be one way.

HeavyMetal
07-04-2009, 11:48 PM
It is possible to machine anything to match anything, mostly.

The real question is cost versus use. Particularly if you find out the boolit won't shoot worth a hoot without the check on it.

I'd hand lube a few and shoot them. if it works I'd consider removing the gas check portion of the mold before I'd try to get a hardened pin cut!

canuck4570
07-05-2009, 12:01 AM
yes they shoot as accurately without gaz check
wish to keep the gas check option so machining the gas check from the mould is not a option for me....
I am lucky my son is a machinist he would make the punch pin for me....
my question was more aim at did some one ever tried it with success and does lubing them is without any problem with such a pin....

HeavyMetal
07-05-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't know if anyone has tried this before or not.

I have seen a post asking about bevel base pins and for the same reason lube on the boolit base.

I will suggest you become the leader in this endevor and have your son make the pin for you.

Once you prove it's worth he may have the world beat a path to his door cause a lot of guys have the same problem and would like a cure that won't break the bank!

Be sure to let us know how it works.

Buckshot
07-05-2009, 03:19 AM
..............The width of the rim of the ejector pin 'cup' (for lack of a better word) to mask the GC shank would be about 0.015" thick. Say, the thickness of 4 sheets of 20lb paper. It's doable alright. There are 2 questions in my mind about it. One is durability. Hardening is not required for the ejector pin, and I do not think that trying to harden something this thin (the rim of the cup) in cross section would be beneficial. I'd think it would be liable to snap off or fracture. But I'm just supposing and haven't tried it. Maybe it would be the bee's knees? Since radial forces on the rim would be negligable, a good candidate for a trial would be some free machining leaded steel to see what happens?

The other possible problem might be removing the boolit from it? I think you might need some clearance, which could maybe suck a couple thousandths off that rim thickness. Of course that depends on the boolit. It'd sure be worth a try if you have the need and also the means. LEt us know what happens!

..............Buckshot

montana_charlie
07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
We use epoxies and hot glue to form top punches to fit various nose shapes. Why not use the same stuff to form the top end of an ejector pin?

It should hold up for enough bullets to see if the idea has merit...and might even be permanent.

If it doesn't work...or you don't like the results...it can always be cleaned off of the steel with no damage to the pin.

CM

canuck4570
07-05-2009, 12:37 PM
will discuss with my son and have one made
will keep you posted.....

theperfessor
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Buckshot speaks the truth. Everything he said is right on. Its worth trying, but the result is going to be a fairly fragile pin. I bet if the OD has too much clearance around the thin rim any trapped lube between the base of the boolit and the inside of the cup will exert an outward force on the cup walls. Not saying it won't work, just saying it may be a delicate piece of hardware.

Canuck4570 - what type/brand of luber/sizer are you using? What type of lube? Is it possible to plug up some of the holes in the sizer die and control depth of stroke and lube pressure to only use holes that are lined up with lube groove?

JCherry
07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Canuck4570

You may be able to do what you want to do with a brass ring as noted in the thread at;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34966

Have Fun,

JCherry

canuck4570
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Buckshot speaks the truth. Everything he said is right on. Its worth trying, but the result is going to be a fairly fragile pin. I bet if the OD has too much clearance around the thin rim any trapped lube between the base of the boolit and the inside of the cup will exert an outward force on the cup walls. Not saying it won't work, just saying it may be a delicate piece of hardware.

Canuck4570 - what type/brand of luber/sizer are you using? What type of lube? Is it possible to plug up some of the holes in the sizer die and control depth of stroke and lube pressure to only use holes that are lined up with lube groove?

rcbds lube seizer alox
I have tried blocking holes but the pressure on the lube puts lube on way out so not good
will have a pine made and we will see what problem come out of it if any
will keep you posted....

canuck4570
07-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Since my son (machinist) is on holiday I decided to do some experimenting on what I have suggested in machining the pine in a seizer die.
took a gaz check already on the bullet made it spin on the drill press and with a file turned it down on till it measured .308 just a bit under the diameter of the pine itself .310
took it of the bullet and open it with a round tool bitt so it would slide easy on the base of the bullet,
in doing so I could put it on the pine and insert a bullet in and past it trough the lube sizer,
it works the bullet is easily remove from the gaz check but there is still a bit of lube because the gaz check does not go all the way up the end of the gas check shank
the wall left on the GC was .010,
So it come down to this if the pine is machined a bit deeper than the shank it would not leave a trace of lube and would not damage the bullet since it would be supported by the seizer die itself
hope you understand what I have done and has soon has my son goes back to work I will have this pine machined and report back

Cherokee
07-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I lube my GC bullets w/o the GC using my Star sizer. Works great - but you need a Star.......

canuck4570
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
interesting video on you tube on this seizer
tried to find their site but could not
do you have a link...
and could you explain me a bit how it does not put lube on the GC shank
Canuck
tried magma engineering but answer always came back can not find server?
ok I made a search and I get the picture..... thanks.....

mtgrs737
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I lube my GC bullets w/o the GC using my Star sizer. Works great - but you need a Star.......

You could use a Lyman or RCBS if you plug the extra holes and remove the ejector pin and press lift linkage and maybe build a longer top punch so it would act like a star. Use a wrench so you can turn the lube piston both ways.