PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Identification HELP

atr
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I just "found" a 7mm Mauser....looks like a carbine instead of a long rifle...
on the receiver written in a semi-circle are the letters FABRIC (D)EARMAS...THE (D) means that I am not totally sure if its a "D" or not because the lettering has been worn down...
below this semi-circle lettering is printed
OVIEDO

I suspect that 1934 is the date of Manuf.

There is NO chrest on the receiver

Can anyone tell me something about this rifle? Model? (93? 95?) and perhaps its place of Manuf. ???

thanks !!
atr

Bret4207
07-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Look at the bolt. Is there a flat on the bolts bottom? If yes it's a '93. If it's round and cock on closing it's a '95. If it's round and cock on opening it's a '98 variation. Pictures would help.

WILCO
07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Pictures would help.

Indeed.

Shiloh
07-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Look at the bolt. Is there a flat on the bolts bottom? If yes it's a '93. If it's round and cock on closing it's a '95. If it's round and cock on opening it's a '98 variation. Pictures would help.

And then there are the variants made in arsenals all over the world. Like Bret said, Pictures.

Shiloh

Dutchman
07-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I just "found" a 7mm Mauser....looks like a carbine instead of a long rifle...
on the receiver written in a semi-circle are the letters FABRIC (D)EARMAS...THE (D) means that I am not totally sure if its a "D" or not because the lettering has been worn down...
below this semi-circle lettering is printed
OVIEDO

I suspect that 1934 is the date of Manuf.

There is NO chrest on the receiver

Can anyone tell me something about this rifle? Model? (93? 95?) and perhaps its place of Manuf. ???

thanks !!
atr

Model 1893
Spanish
Oviedo Arsenal, Spain
date of mfg 1934

It seems many rifles used in the Spanish Civil War circa 1936 had the crest removed, some so carefully you wouldn't know there was one there in the first place.

What you have is probably the 1893/16 short rifle. They're very common in the U.S.

This is a 1893 Spanish Mauser I picked up at auction for $75... and I overpaid.
http://images39.fotki.com/v1350/photos/2/28344/981703/s1-vi.jpg

http://images6.fotki.com/v79/photos/2/28344/981703/s3-vi.jpg

While not the best made Mauser the 1893 represents a significant model as it was the first of the flush staggered magazine and non-rotating extractor. It was a huge contract for the original rifles made in Germany until Spain contracted to build their own.

There are a very few authenticated 1893 Spanish Mausers with a sticker on the buttstock detailing how it was captured in Cuba during the Spanish-American War circa 1898. They were kept at Springfield Arsenal and later sold by Bannerman's in New York. Most had the sticker removed but a couple have survived. Mucho denaro for those now.

A long-ago gunshow regret: 1893 Spanish carbine... visually nearly identical to the 1894 Swedish carbine. $200 dated 1898 with a JC ivory inlay in the right-side of the buttstock. (Juan Carlos?). It was very nice overall.

Dutch

atr
07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Dutch,,,thanks....good commentary from you as always from you

After a little research I think I have a model 1916 short rifle manufactured in Ovideo Spain by Fabric DeArmas in 1934. This is a shortened version for the model 1893. From the back of the reciever to the crown of the barrel the measurement
is 21.75"
I have attached a couple of photos....yes the bolt has a flat on the underside and yes it does cock on closing
The bore was remarkably good and after setting my electronic bore cleaner to work and running throught some patches it came out very clean and shiny, without any significant evidence of pitting. Military twist of course.
The spanish crest was removed.
I paid $100.00....it was drilled and tapped for scope bases and it had the straight bolt handle removed and replaced with one which would work with a scope. It also has a after market safety again to allow for a scope mount.
I ran about 10 rounds of J-bullets throught is and YES it does have a headspace problem but I know how to deal with that so no sweat. I am going to replace the trigger as the stock military is about the worst I have every pulled on.

guys....thanks for your help !!
art

Buckshot
07-06-2009, 02:23 AM
............Hmmmmm? I thought the Spaniards did away with the chinned bolts before too long a time. Maybe a couple years? I know the 1894 Brazilain small rings manufactured by FN and Loewe had them, but none since. The chin was there as it was thought it would aid in picking up cartridges from the magazine, but was found to be unnecessary.

...........Buckshot

Bret4207
07-06-2009, 08:40 AM
My example is a '93 also. My favorite rainy day/trap line rifle. Used with a bit of judgment you have a fine all round rifle. Had you posted this on The High Road, Grey Beard, etc you'd have a thread full of posts telling you that even looking at the rifle is certain death!!!

Dutchman
07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Had you posted this on The High Road, Grey Beard, etc you'd have a thread full of posts telling you that even looking at the rifle is certain death!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot... even looking at that rifle is certain death.

Wash your hands after handling it.

Dutch

Bret4207
07-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Dutch- Funny the way some of those guys assuring us that firing anything but squibb loads in a '93 later on are found bragging up the hot load they worked up in their Sharps or Trapdoor!

meanmarv
01-21-2014, 06:05 AM
New to Forum and hope to information on a Mauser I purchased in 1973 then I was talked into Sporterizing it by a self-professed gunsmith, needless to say it has not been fired since its return over 40 years ago.
I'm not sure what the model is and the only marks on the receiver visible are "V4707" the bolt does not work smoothy since the modification of the handle and the only marks on it are on the end " (E) 497", the firing pin has what appears to be an "x" on one side and a swastika in a circle on the other.
Any help on ID and bolt parts would be appreciated.

UBER7MM
01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
New to Forum and hope to information on a Mauser I purchased in 1973 then I was talked into Sporterizing it by a self-professed gunsmith, needless to say it has not been fired since its return over 40 years ago.
I'm not sure what the model is and the only marks on the receiver visible are "V4707" the bolt does not work smoothy since the modification of the handle and the only marks on it are on the end " (E) 497", the firing pin has what appears to be an "x" on one side and a swastika in a circle on the other.
Any help on ID and bolt parts would be appreciated.

MeanMarv,
Welcome to the forum.
Your bolt is upside down. Hard to say with such a small photo. I'm guessing 93,94,95 Mauser by narrow bolt shroud. What caliber is the rifle? Is the barrel military or re-barreled? Can you post a photo of the whole rifle?
Hard to say why the bolt doesn't work smoothly without seeing the rifle. After 40 years it could just need a good oiling. However, I've seen bolt shroud threads out of round, caused by over heating when attaching the custom bolt handle. You can tell by unscrewing the bolt shroud, when the bolt is removed from the action. If there is a tight spot or is just hard all the way round to unscrewing, then the bolt shroud threads are probably out of round. If that is the case, you'll need to find a chasing tap to fix the issue.
I hope this helps. Let us know what you find out,

Saltner
01-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Report a great site Italian Weapons ex ordinance
You'll have to do me like i do not understand a fuc@@@@g English ..... copy and paste everything into an online translator :killingpc
http://www.exordinanza.net

Taylor
01-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Report a great site Italian Weapons ex ordinance
You'll have to do me like i do not understand a fuc@@@@g English ..... copy and paste everything into an online translator :killingpc
http://www.exordinanza.net

Point?:coffeecom

Ben
01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Saltner

I do believe on this forum that English is written without the adjective that you're using in front of it.

Saltner
01-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Point?:coffeecom

It means that you are studying? [smilie=f:

Wayne Smith
01-31-2014, 10:37 AM
My example is a '93 also. My favorite rainy day/trap line rifle. Used with a bit of judgment you have a fine all round rifle. Had you posted this on The High Road, Grey Beard, etc you'd have a thread full of posts telling you that even looking at the rifle is certain death!!!

Did anyone notice the latest American Rifleman blurb on reloading the 7x57? They publish a load that is the 'equivalent to the original' loads but then caution that they are not safe to use in the original rifles!