PDA

View Full Version : Re-Cutting Old Mould Blocks

R.C. Hatter
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
:castmine: Is there anyone out there who can (or would) re-cut old Lyman mould blocks to a new (larger) caliber ? I have about three sets of blocks I accumulated from Lyman over the years, that cast so bad out of round, or the gas check step was cut too large, that they are useless. Lyman refused to exchange or repair them. I hate to just salvage the screws and sprue plates and throw these single cavity blocks away.:roll:

JIMinPHX
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I have the equipment & know how to do it, but I have too many projects open right now & too many things already promised to too many other people, so I can't really take on anything new. There are at least a few other board members who are also qualified to do that job. Hopefully, one of them will chime in.

anachronism
07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
The simple save for oversized gas check steps is to have the gas check step removed. I'd have the cavity bored out to eliminate the step. Some guys simply mill the face of the mould to remove about 3/16 or so from the base of the bullets but I've never liked that solution. Most out-of-round cavities can be salvaged by lapping the mould cavities. Try Erik at Hollowpoint Mold Service http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ for the former solution. You can do the lapping yourself at home on a rainy day.