PDA

View Full Version : i need a "clean" lube for my 1911

mike in co
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
i am shooting water quenched ww in a lee 228 2r mold, with felix's lube.....but it gums up the works way to early. less than 50 rnds and a failure to feed( did not close slide the last 1/8 in or so). round was visibly gummed up at case mouth.

so i am in search of a mod to the felix lube, or an alternative lube. i do have a heater on two of my luber sizers.

45acp aprox 800 fps , 5" para 1911 gi expert

thanks
mike in co

felix
07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Mike, cut the viscosity by 50 percent, i.e. cut the lanolin by 50 percent. If antimony high and boolit hard, watch for a light coat of "leading" WITHOUT build up at the muzzle. That's what you want for accuracy longevity. ... felix

mike in co
07-04-2009, 04:16 PM
i have 3 or 4 sticks of rcbs green lube..how will this work ?

( i have had great luck with felix lube in lots of guns...the 45 is the exception..mayeb my nine ...not enough rounds to know for sure)

thanks

mike

yodar
07-05-2009, 04:07 PM
i have 3 or 4 sticks of rcbs green lube..how will this work ?

( i have had great luck with felix lube in lots of guns...the 45 is the exception..mayeb my nine ...not enough rounds to know for sure)

thanks

mike

For all my pistols I use ADRIAN'S GOO (AKA Lithi Bee-1 part beeswax, 1 part Lithium grease) much less smoke and not heater necessary.

2138F ALOX isnt out there and it's too smoky IMO and the Lithium grease is substituted for it.

I K.I.S.S. with my recipes so they are repeatable

yodar

randyrat
07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Or have you tried just tumble lubing 45 acps with JPW

runfiverun
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
jpw stays pretty slimy too. follow felix's advice or add some wax to the mix.
b-wax ,soy wax ,paraffin wax. that'll firm it up some.
felix: are you saying a bit of leading or antimonial wash?

fredj338
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
If you don't mind buying, WhiteLabel Carnuba shoots as clean as anything I have ever used.

crabo
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Lar's BAC will work great

Heavy lead
07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I pretty much use BAC for everything, what I have found works very well for my 1911's to keep them rolling without much cleaning is (with a 452460 two groove boolit) is to just lube the first groove, then tumble lube with JPW (only tl I use) then dry and load. I can run them for 500 plus rounds with nary a brush. If I don't tl then I have to run a bore snake through at least every 50 rounds. If I don't lube with BAC and just tl I lead though, but both grooves just makes it gunkier than needed for me, I think the tl helps seal everything up but still let's the BAC work. My boolits are soft 50/50 pure/ww air cooled.

felix
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Antimony wash is ok if there is absolutely just a wash and no build up. ... felix

runfiverun
07-06-2009, 01:13 AM
thats what i thought you meant, the grey wash the same color as a well proportioned,filled out boolit should be.
it shows you are using just the right amount/type of lube for the job without it being too much or too little for the job i see the wash frequently and still have a small star of lube at the bbl,when you look down the bbl and are using a bit of carnuba it's like looking in a mirror till you look at the muzzle and see the wash.
for some strange reason thats about where the best accuracy is too.

leadman
07-06-2009, 01:47 AM
I use LBT Blue Soft in everthing right now. No build- up in a 45acp or a Ruger P89. Works in the MAkarov also.
Don't like it on the Lee 200gr. 45 cal. SWC(H&G style). With the bevel base and the lube not wanting to stay in the lube groove it is a mess to handle. With the pointy nose it is hard for me to pick up except by the area where the lube groove is.
Not a problem on other boolits.
I ordered some of LARS lubes to try on the Lee boolit.

mike in co
11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Mike, cut the viscosity by 50 percent, i.e. cut the lanolin by 50 percent. If antimony high and boolit hard, watch for a light coat of "leading" WITHOUT build up at the muzzle. That's what you want for accuracy longevity. ... felix

can i do the reverse >>>add more bees wax ?( i did...2 oz of each, mixed, cooled and in the sizer...now on the boolits for eval.)

thanks
mike in co

runfiverun
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
that would seem to be the easiest way to do it you only need enough "lube" to go 4-5"'s

geargnasher
11-17-2009, 02:11 AM
That's strange, Mike, I used a fairly hard version of FWFL all summer with a few thousand .45s and never had a hitch. I always thought that thin grey wash was the graphite from the Titegroup dirtying up the bore, but it always wiped right out and NO lead. I always wipe my cases/boolits with naptha and a rag after loading so no chamber fouling when chambering a round.

The only other thing I could think of would be crimp. I often leave a slight hint of the bell mouth on the brass depending on which gun I'm loading for so the round centers better in the chamber. Maybe this helps keep the lube from blowing back around the case mouth and accumulating. Either way, take Felix's advice and try again, or just tumble-lube and forget it.

Gear