PDA

View Full Version : What shot shell reloading press should I buy?

TriggerHappyAndy
07-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Hello guys!

I have decided to begin reloading shot shells.
I have looked around for presses, but donīt really know what to get. Money is an issue, so the lee load all would be an alternative, but it doesnīt seem very sturdy. I have seen some old ones at ebay at reasonable prices. Among them a pacific dl 260. I need one that is quite fast and not that expensive. I guess I could pay up to $150. But Iīd rather not pay that much.

Please enlighten me.

/Andy

Storydude
07-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello guys!

I have decided to begin reloading shot shells.
I have looked around for presses, but donīt really know what to get. Money is an issue, so the lee load all would be an alternative, but it doesnīt seem very sturdy. I have seen some old ones at ebay at reasonable prices. Among them a pacific dl 260. I need one that is quite fast and not that expensive. I guess I could pay up to $150. But Iīd rather not pay that much.

Please enlighten me.

/Andy

I'd suggest a MEC 600 to start. bulletproof and your kids grandkids probably would be using it still. It's listed as a single stage, but with some good hand-eye coordiantion, you can have 3-4 shells at once running on it. One in resize-deprime, one being primed, one being loaded with powder, one in crimp starter and one in final crimp.

klcarroll
07-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I have three MEC 600s, which is their basic, single stage press.

I have gone this way because I load a lot of slug and buckshot loads; .....And for those applications the much more expensive "progressive" presses are essentially worthless.

From my point of view, only the "trap/skeet fanatic”, ….who shoots 200 - 300 rounds a weekend, actually gets his money's worth out of a progressive.

I like the MEC 600s because they are straightforward, durable machines; and parts are readily available from both MEC and aftermarket sources.

I bought all of my MECs used, ......at prices that ranged from $15 to $85. (The $15 machine was found at a garage sale.)

Kent

woody1
07-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Triggerhappy, here's another vote for the MEC 600. I bought my first one in the early 70's and it's still a'truckin' along. I see you're not in the USofA so I don't know about cost where you are but over here I see used 600's in 12 gauge at gunshows for about the same or less than a new Lee Loadall. I had a loadall in 20 ga. that I gave to my son and grandson/. There's no comparison. The MEC has is hands down and I don't expect I'll ever wear out the MEC. The 600 in 20 ga. that I use I bought as 12 ga for $35 and converted it to 20 ga. I have a MEC 650 in 20 ga. also but I use it less than the 600 because as klcarrol said above, unless you're loading several hundred of the same load very often the progressive features are worthless. That's my $0.05 worth. YMMV Regards, Woody

TriggerHappyAndy
07-04-2009, 01:02 PM
That settles it! A mec 600 it will be. Thank you very much for sharing your wisdom!

/Andy

sargenv
07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
When I started loading, I looked at the 600 and didn't much care for them. Instead I bought the Sizemaster and never looked back. The collet sizer, the primer feed tray that was included, and a few other features were worth the money. I have one in 12 (that is over 20 years old) and one in 20 (that is over 15 years old). I use the 12 much more often for loading steel shot and specialty stuff. I use a roll crimper for slugs that I chuck in a drill press, but use station 5 on the sizemaster to put that finishing crimp on the roll crimped loads so they feed slick in my semi-auto. I'd really reccomend the Sizemaster over any other single stage MEC.

While you are at it, you should also get the aftermarket adjustable shot/powder bar so you don't have to deal with bushings and other pains in the rear. I have worn out one of these in the 20+ years I've been reloading and have one on each of my shotshell presses (I also have a grabber for high volume loading in 12 gauge).

Rockydog
07-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I've got two 600Jrs and a Grabber in 12 Ga. I started with the 600 Jr and with coordination and attention to how you set up your loading area you can load about 150 shells an hour. One year (pre Grabber) I loaded nearly 3000 rounds with it. It's much faster to move one shell at a time through the process than try to keep 3 or 4 in various stages on the press at once. The grabber more than doubles that output. I do have to agree with sargenv that the sizemaster may be worth the investment. At times, pulling the cases off the primative shell sizer on the 600 can be a pain. For some reason some brands like to hang up and require a good downward tug to get out. Almost like there is some spring back after the sizer ring passes. I'd respectfully disagree with his take on the adjustable bar though. To me it seems like they take a lot off fussing and adjustment to get set. Most of the time you settle on a powder and load that works well for you and, if you record your favorite loads, it takes less time to swap bushings than to weigh charges etc. to set the adjustable bar.

My best piece of advice? If you do change bushings or bars and tip the bottles off backward to facilitate the change make darn sure that the plug in the shot bottle is secure. 10 pounds of #8 shot imbedded in the basement carpet does not vacuum up at all and SWMBO will not be happy. RD

TriggerHappyAndy
07-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Thank you guys, I still think that I will begin with the 600, but it is very possible that I get a sizemaster in the future. The grabber seems like a great one, but is a bit too expensive for me at this time.

Rockydog: what does SWMBO stand for?

mag44uk
07-04-2009, 04:18 PM
She who must be obeyed!
Tony

Silicon Wolverine
07-04-2009, 04:34 PM
wow. no love for Lee aroudn here i see. well I prefer the load all II. ive had several of them over the years (they last about 50,000 rounds or so). they have always done me well and when they wear out they only cost about 40$ to replace the whole works.

SW

HeavyMetal
07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I have three Mec 600 jr, and a grabber with the collet sizer.

All of these were aquirred used at yard sales in most case's for les than $25.00

Most all of them started life as a 12 guage. Two of the 600 have been rebuilt to 20 gauge and 410 respectively.

When I bought my 28 gauge I knew I would need a loader for it. Tough to find a 28 gauge loader at a yard sale! Figured out that if I paid 30 for a used loader and another 50 for the conversion kit plus my labor to do the work I might as well buy a new one!

Which is exactly what I did! First time in my life I bought a new loading press fresh in the box.

What did I buy?

A MEC Versamec in 28 guage! I bought it for all the reasons sargenv listed.

In my opinion the versamec is the press of choice for a first time shot shell loader! If you load enough to move up to a progressive you'll still keep this for making hunting loads or specilty loads you just want to try a hand full of!

I've had a lot of shot gun press's, threw a Lee Loadfast out, and I have tried a Loadall in 20 guage but it didn't come up to the standards of the MEC!

If I get rich some day I may by a Ponsness Warren or a Spolar but right now with dollars tight MEC is the name of the game!

Rockydog
07-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Heavymetal, I've got a buddy who bought a Ponsness Warren for 28 gauge. Had it about 2 weeks. Sold it and bought a 28 ga MEC. Grabber. Just never could get the hang of operating it I guess. RD

jsizemore
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I got a Grabber because it resizes the brass and puts a taper crimp on the finished shell. If your only loading for 1 shotgun, the resize is probably unnecessary. I have a few different shotguns and I don't want to have to remember which shell goes where. I load buckshot with my Grabber all the time without any trouble. I bought mine used and the folks at MEC went out of their way to make sure mine worked like brand new.

sargenv
07-04-2009, 07:54 PM
If all you do is load one load, then the bushing system works fine, however I didn't ever really think that the adjustable bar was all that much trouble. It takes a few throws to get your average throw weight, and then it settles down, to go up or down in charge only takes a twist one way or another, and since I load a lot of different things, it is easier to not have to swap out or keep track of bushings and bars. I can load any powder at any weight from 13-50 ish gr. I can load the exact weight the book tells me not some extrapolated weight that is "good enough" that the bushing allows. Same goes for shot weight. I don't need depend on the volume size that might throw 9's heavier than the same volume of 6's. I guess I'm just a bit pickier that way.. but if bushings work for you, then have at it ;) I'm spoiled by the adjustable bar in my Dillon 650, and the adjustable RCBS measure to ever have to worry about bushings.. I think I looked at the Versamec at one time but liked the versatility of the Sizemaster just a bit more.. I think the other reason is that the Sizemaster was available locally and the Versamec was not (I bought my Sizemaster pre-internet when they were still selling them locally at the Big 5 Sporting goods store) on layaway... (1987).

HeavyMetal
07-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought the versamec was the sizemaster?

Saw both names on the new one when I picked it up!

I wish manufactures would make up my mind!

HamGunner
07-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I like my Sizemaster because it will size any shell's head effortlessly no matter what chamber it was fired in. It automatically places a primer onto position #2 with each stroke of position #5 during the final crimping. Also, it will easily adjust to load 3" shells if needed. I had an old Ponsness Warren that I used for a while, but I sold it and got the Mec Sizemaster. The Mec is much less complicated and works like a champ. Once set up, I suppose I can easily crank out at least one shell per minute, perhaps two if I get on a roll. For really cranking out shells, the Grabber works nice. A Buddy had one and I liked using it, but I don't shoot all that much regularly and I usually am experimenting a bit here and there so I like the Sizemaster.

I am not familiar with the Versamec.

longbow
07-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Over the years I have used a plain old Lee Loader for 12 ga.; Lee Loadall; Lee Loadall junior and more recently a MEC Sizemaster which I bought used.

I guess my vote goes to Lee Loader for cheap but effective, or the MEC Sizemaster.

I loaded probably thousands of rounds with a Lee Loader and while a bit slow it did the job very well. No real complaints about the Lee Loadall but hands down the MEC Sizemaster is great. I am sure the MEC 600 would also be a good way to go. A separate collet sizer is available if wanted later.

My 2 cents worth.

Longbow

RugerFan
07-05-2009, 06:00 AM
wow. no love for Lee aroudn here i see. well I prefer the load all II. ive had several of them over the years (they last about 50,000 rounds or so). they have always done me well and when they wear out they only cost about 40$ to replace the whole works.

SW

How much is several times $40? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one Mec 600 and never need to buy another? I've had a 600jr for over 20 years and it still works like brand new.

klcarroll
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
How much is several times $40? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one Mec 600 and never need to buy another? I've had a 600jr for over 20 years and it still works like brand new.

Well, .....That's fine and dandy if you only reload one gauge and configuration! I have three distinct setups, which allow me to do the gauges and loads I need without ever having to swap a set of dies!

Not bad for an average investment of $40, ....eh???

Kent

Silicon Wolverine
07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

i feel the lee is more versatile for what i do. i load smaller batches of widely varied rounds. the MEC is more for cranking out bunches of the same load over and over. plus the shot/powder bushing setup is more to my liking vs the MEC stlye. i may spend more on equipment in the Lee over the long haul but it gives me more versatility in my loadings.

SW

diehard
07-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty new at the shotshell thing, but I've been cranking out loads on the Lee Load-ALL II I got for Christmas this year. Since I don't shoot trap or skeet, but do love to shoot slugs and buckshot, lots of slugs and buckshot, the tool seems to do what I want. I am impressed that the powder bushings have been dead on so far....although I still weigh every fifth loading out of caution. I'm sure a Mec is better, as there is always something better (and folks love to tell you about it), but the Load-All isn't even close to the price range of the cheapest MEC. It is what it is,and for me right now it is good enough. When I buy my own reloader some day I'll get what I think I need at the time. Maybe even another Lee.

I also have a Lyman Easy Reloader (dinosaur) that someone gave me that still works very well for what I do. It is old. I intend trying to convert it to 20 gauge the redneck way, and only time will tell if it will work. Tinkering is half the fun though.

Heavy lead
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I've had a lot of shotshell presses thoughout the years. I have two MEC 600's I use currently, one set up exclusively for 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads with Clays for trap and skeet, don't shoot a lot anymore so a 600 is fine, my brother who breaks at least 500 every weekend uses a progressive and I would too. The other 600 is dedicated to 1 1/8 high velocity Longshot loads for pheasant and even though is is "just a 2 3/4" round with #5's at 1525 FPS it'll knock a turkey on it's **** too. This same powder charge and press is also used for #1 Buck loads as well. My last press is a Lee that I use only for slug loads, the powder bushings are great in this for expermenting (always weigh) and I find with the rather large powder charges used with slugs that adequate wad pressure can be obtained. The problem I've found in the past with these loaders is with shot loads, especially target loads, especially with a powder (like the old Winchester 452AA) that needs wad pressure, almost impossible with a target load to get much of any and consequently target loads suffer.
Just my .02

nonferrous
07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I have had my MEC 650 since the mid 70's and it just keeps on going. So far I have had to replace the wad guide, and thats it, ($1.43).
You get a finished shell every time you pull the handle, the down side is that if you have to size, it is a seperate operation.
I have a Multi-Scale adjustable charge bar on the shelf, I went back to the MEC bars with powder bushings, just a personal choice I guess. I highly reccomend using a powder baffle though. It helps keep the charge uniform by cutting down on the bridging of the powder that seems to occur in the bottle.
One important thing though, as in any other reloading venture, keep the distractions down to a bare minimum.

Matt_G
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
My Dad bought a Mec 600 Jr. in the early seventies. Gave it to me in '76 and I loaded several thousands of rounds on that press. About '92 I started shooting trap...a lot, and I bought a 9000G. Single stage just wasn't cutting it anymore.
I sold that 600 to a friend who still has it. I saw him just two weeks ago and he mentioned that he still had that 600 and that it was still going strong.
My 9000G is still going strong as well.
Just can't beat Mec's IMHO. :-D

jsizemore
07-24-2009, 01:34 PM
And the difference between a 9000 and a Grabber is the 9000 index's automatically. You can disconnect the auto indexing on the 9000 so it works like a Grabber, and you can add the auto indexing to a Grabber to turn it into a 9000.