PDA

View Full Version : Clean my Lee Bottom Pour Furnace

missionary5155
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Good morning Happy Independence Day
Some time ago someone posted a means to CURE the drippy spout. I cannot find it and the Search is not working. Anyone remember the way to Clean or rerig the spout so it stops the drips...
Thanks

07-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't think it's possible to completely eliminate the drip. A spring on the lever/handle helps a lot, though.

mazo kid
07-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Some members report good results with lapping the stem/socket and adding weight to the operating handle.

Shiloh
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Yep, I went the weighted handle route.

Shiloh

Bill*
07-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I put a 3/4" pipe nipple and cap over the original Lee handle weight. The added weight/leverage helped a good bit. It's a close fit so I had to sand out the nipple opening by a few thousandths (burrs rather than actual pipe), but it tapped on and hasn't moved in a year.

50calshooter
07-04-2009, 01:58 PM
You might do what I did, I coudn't afford it had to sell some small items to pay for it but I bought a Lyman mag 20 last week that is a sure cure, been using the Lee's for over 20 years. The 10 pound pots were better for not leaking than the 20 went to ladle casting with it, tried the weights no luck, never tried the emery cloth.

missionary5155
07-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone.... I am gonna lap it and weigh it down...

StrawHat
07-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks everyone.... I am gonna lap it and weigh it down...

Keep us posted, please.

WHITETAIL
07-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes, the extra weight works.[smilie=w:

largecaliberman
07-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Give the valve a little lapping with a fine grit lapping compound used to lap engine valves. than a little weight on the handles will do the trick. the density of lead is greater than steel, with that in mind, the lead will make the steel rod a little boyant thus releiving some preasure off the valve opening. I used a 1lb ingot and that seemed to do the trick.

missionary5155
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Hello again Lapped out the valve and spigot then added 4 .725 "vise smashed flat" round balls to the handle. Cruched then down to the same diameter as the origonal weight and drilled then through like a donut.. but a small hole to fit the thin wire shaft. increased the weight by 130%. May get to cast some more friday.

shotman
07-07-2009, 01:33 AM
the lap and weight works also dont let pot get too low as to get scumb in the valve. AS stated above steel will float so the rod is not going to stay in the lead to more lead the less the rod weighs thats why the more dripping when the pot is full. I use the nipple deal and wrapped it with shop rag to keep cool. Mike you will find the lead will get too hot to handle

jb44mag
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
It is possible to correct the drip permanently. i just rebuilt a Lee pot, and have cast a thousand or do bullets without a drip. Purchase repair parts as follows from Lee.
• valve rod - EL3427
• valve - EL3451
• valve nut - FE3464
• flow control screw - FE1750, i think
Drain the pot and remove the top and bottom from the pot. remove the pot. you may need to use a torch to completely remove the lead from around the valve on the inside of the pot. Remove the Valve nut and then remove the valve.

Replace the valve and valve nut and reassemble the pot using the new valve rod and flow control screw. you might also put a large nut between the wood knob and the valve arm assembly. I have also found it helpful to "slightly" bend the top of the valve arm assembly downward, to keep the flow control screw from "jumping" out of the valve rod slot when adjusting.

This is what worked for me. Takes about 30 minutes to rebuild and reassemble. Lee delivered the parts in less than a week and they were cheap. I have two Lee Pro 20's and neither leak now.

-jb44mag

45r
07-21-2009, 09:57 AM
I fixed mine by selling it and buying a rcbs.