PDA

View Full Version : Succumbed to 92 Winchester temptation

C A Plater
07-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Larry's here in Huntsville set their lever gun trap for me again. This time it was in the form of a 92 Winchester. My first though was it was a Rossi or Puma 'cause it was in the rack and not on the wall. I picked it up to look at the price tag and I was trapped. The metal finish had been distressed to make it look old but the bank vault lockup, butter smooth action, tang safety and .44 Magnum chamber showed it was one of the newer Miroku models. The antiquing job looks pretty decent and the smith did sign the work with some nice gold filled lettering and the wood was in very good shape and sporting a nice satiny oil finish. I was balking at the price be a bit more than the price of a couple of new truck tires I'll be needing fairly soon. Seeing my hesitation the salesman offered up "You know there's no extra charge for layaway." tripped the trigger. I rationalized the tires are just now showing the wear bars on the tread with plenty of tread left. Besides they're on the front and should last a couple more months and I just don't see many shooter 92 Winchesters around. I'll do pictures when it comes home to poppa.

Junior1942
07-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Layaway has cost me, too.

BarryinIN
07-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, layaway can be good and bad. I remember shuffling through the layaway receipts in my wallet once a few years ago, trying to keep straight what was due when, and wondering if that was a bad sign or a good one.

A shooter 92 is a nice thing to have. I got one that was made in 1907, but had been rebored and converted to .357 Mag. Nobody wanted it due to the rebore, so it was priced well. I understand some resistance to a non-original gun, but I wasn't about to pass up a shooter 92 for less money than a Puma.

S.R.Custom
07-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Lay-away is a double edged sword. Yeah, it keeps some really sweet pieces from getting away when cash is short, but if someone is accepting law-away, it means he's getting top dollar.

shdwlkr
07-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I have used layaway at my gun shop many times and have never been taken yet. I have never paid the tag price yet either. I pay close but not the full price most of the time it just takes the price of the sales tax off but that means a lot when you only have so much to spend.
I for one am very happy with layaway's as it allows me to get some really good firearms that I don't have the cash to buy at the time. I have purchased firearms in the 4 figure range this way and I have only a few months to pay it off or loose it.

Forgot to mention that is how I got my newest 92 was using layaway and I am very pleased with my purchase.

Now all I have to do is get busy and build my last 92 into the rifle I want and enjoy it. Well it just might not be the last as you never know what will show up calling your name.

9.3X62AL
07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Well it just might not be the last as you never know what will show up calling your name.

Few truer words have ever appeared on this site. Congrats on the Rising Sun Win 92, they are very well put together. I passed on a similar example a few months back, doing the uncharacteristically mature thing and adhering to a gun-buying plan I cobbled up for the year.

shdwlkr
07-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I just couldn't let it get away as it was the first one I have ever seen for sale in it had a long barrel on it. I don't really care for the short barrels that are so popular. When I get this shotgun paid for I just might be done. You can only enjoy so many before it gets to be to many, but I do need a 30-06. Ha Ha see it is so hard to stop
I get maybe 1-3 a year now and most times I can walk away like that 1886 that is still there as I have to spend my funds keeping things working at home. Not as much fun but keeps the wife happy so there is some value in that.

runfiverun
07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
a 92 in a caliber you don't got is a desirable gun and the long bbl to go with the short one and the octagon....and half and half..

19112TAP
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I to got the bug and picked up a 92 in 32-20 orignal with 24" oct. bl. the guy I got it from siad it was made in 1896 but according to a website source it dates to 1912 either way I love it the action is still tight & smooth, the bore isn't 100% but it does shoot good.

shdwlkr
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
19112tap
I have never seen a octagon barreled model 92 but mine is a 24 inch barrel model also. I just like long barreled rifles.

Buckshot
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
.............I picked up a used Miroku M92 clone (24 round barrel) in 45 Colt a few months back. It cost $350 but was missing the buttplate. I was told they had one on order, and it was to be included. After several weeks, the buttplate arrived, but was for the carbine so the storeowner gave me $50 back. Other then a compression on the left side of the buttstock it looks new. I'm about ready to drill the newly fitted buttplate to attach and finish it. I'll post pics when I get it done. I don't know if they're all like this, but the one I bought has an engraved action?

..............Buckshot

looseprojectile
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
I have had dozens of em. Loved em all.
They used to be ten or fifteen dollar rifles that weren't legal to hunt with.
I am in heaven with all the choices that are available now. I like the imports also.
At this time I only have two but that can change in a heartbeat.
In Washington anything from a 25 20 up are legal for deer and there are no magazine restrictions. A thirty round mag in an AK is a deer gun.
It's too bad that so many have discovered the 92s. John Browning only made one gun that is handier and that is the 1911.

Life is good

cajun shooter
07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Buckshot, You might want to consider having a leather tie on pad made. I have them on my 92's that I shoot CAS with and they look good. I also have the leather man install a piece of foam which helps cut down on the rap from the 300 gr loads that I feed them from time to time.