PDA

View Full Version : Xlr 30/30

softpoint
07-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Marlin XLR in 30/30 and I played today. The load was 180gr. RCBS, sized in .310 die, that just crimped the gascheck on, load was 28.5 of Winchester 760. Range was 50 meters. I have relieved the magazine tube, glassed the fore end to the action and nose cap, and bedded the forend to the barrel with silicone rubber. 5 shot groups, this is the best of 3, with the other two measuring 1/2" and 15/16"This rifle also has a Wild West trigger, 2.5X Weaver scope.
These pictures are inside my " shooting shack" which is about 25 yards from the house. I am set up to shoot rifles out the window,and it's air conditioned and heated. I also do my casting out here, and some shotshell reloading. I have a bench with a press and measure stand,where I can roll the office chair over to and assemble new loads without moving the rifle off the bags or even standing up.! Needless to say, Iam proud of this setup, and it has been nice to have here in central Texas where it has been over 100 degrees all but one day for the past two weeks! I have another heavy shooting bench outside with a metal top, but it gets so hot you can't even touch it without a towel or something over it when the sun is on it this time of year

07-03-2009, 03:37 PM
nice shooting house.

lead Foot
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice shooting. Looks like a good set up. you could say it's indoor shooting at it's best. I hope you open the window before you shoot. In the summer were I go hunting it averages 40c (104-f).
Lead foot;

softpoint
07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
The little holes in the target are .22's, I shoulda marked 'em..
I built this shooting shack a coupla years ago, That year it was raining seemed like every weekend in the spring, and would rain just enough to have to put everything up and then it would quit. So, now if the weather is obnoxious, I only have to walk down range to put up targets in it.[smilie=2:

I haven't forgotten to open the window yet, but I almost poked a rifle barrel thrugh it one day while I was getting ready to set everything up!

woodsie57
07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Add a clothesline, a couple of pulleys, you can reel your targets out and back from inside. That would be about perfect.

James C. Snodgrass
07-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm jealous.:mrgreen: