PDA

View Full Version : Bass pro shops and lyman

haff202
07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Bass Pro is selling the lyman T-mag kit for $299 and the lyman Crusher kit for $299
Is the T-mag a better buy? I want to load one round at a time, I think a single stage press should be cheaper.

twotoescharlie
07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
get a lee cast iron press for under $100.00

TTC

winelover
07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Be advised that Lyman Presses arn't what their cracked up to be! I have an "Orange Crush" of theirs that the linkage wore out of prematurely. The pins have no retaining rings and they will move over time. The main reason I bought this press was, at the time, this was the only one available that the handle was reversible---I'm one of those southpaws. I have a small RCBS JR that was my 1st press and is still going strong after more than 30 years & tens of thousands of pistol rounds. The Lyman is only used for rifle calibers & as such gets used much less. IMO--- Green is my favorite color!

Winelover

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Pass on the Lyman. Outdated designs, mediocre stuff in the kit. Like the man said, get a Lee Classic Cast single stage or a Lee Classic Turret. Or both of those with their associated goodies. You'll come in less money than the Lyman kit and will have a heckuva lot better set of presses.

Regards,

Dave

jlchucker
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I had an orange crusher--it was repaired by Lyman twice. Finally I saw a Lee Classic Cast press, bought it for less than the Lyman. I hope whoever bought my Lyman in a yard sale finds it to be an effective boat anchor. The Lee Classic Cast press is a great one--the best deal for the money, IMO.

JesterGrin_1
07-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I would like to correct something as it seems we myself included keep saying that the Lee Classic Cast Press is a great press for the price. But to be honest if the RCBS RockChucker and the Lee Classic Cast Press were the same price the LEE would still be a better press.

Just my simple thoughts. :)

1hole
07-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Ditto to Jester.

The Lee Classic Cast isn't just a great press "for the price", it's a great press, period. Bigger, stronger, more user features than my RCBS RC II and the spent primer catcher works, all for a LOT less money! What's not to love?

My 48 year old Lyman Spar-T isn't my favorite press but it's made a lot of ammo with no problems at all. Can't imagine how the pins, or anything else, would wear out if it is kept reasonably clean and lightly oiled. ??

Heavy lead
07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Plus another, I'd buy the Lee too, and have one alongside a Lee Classic Turret as well, next to two Hornady progressives, love them all. However I have a Hornady balance scale (IMO the Lee is a waste of money), a RCBS Chargemaster scale and measure combo. I do like Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measures. Be wary of the accessories that come in the kits, you might be paying for stuff you don't need.
I would like to correct something as it seems we myself included keep saying that the Lee Classic Cast Press is a great press for the price. But to be honest if the RCBS RockChucker and the Lee Classic Cast Press were the same price the LEE would still be a better press.

Just my simple thoughts. :)

cajun shooter
07-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Lyman has lost the Glory that they once deserved. They are no longer the company of the reloading class. They need a over haul

mooman76
07-04-2009, 09:17 AM
And Lee presses are made in USA. I have a classic cast and am real pleased with it. Also really like the tube thing that guides the spent primmers down into a container so I don't have primmers going all over.

DLCTEX
07-04-2009, 06:39 PM
+ 1 on the Lee Classic. I used my RCBS Rockchucker this week end and found myself wishing the handle was adjustanle and movable like my Lee Classic Cast Turret. Also the used primer catcher was a pain, much prefer the Lee system that drops them in a bucket on the floor.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Dale,

Do what I did. Buy yourself a Lee Classic Cast single stage, then sell your Rock Chucker for enough money to pay for the Lee with change left over. to buy some more dies.

Regards,

Dave