PDA

View Full Version : containers for small amounts of powder

hornsurgeon
07-02-2009, 09:03 PM
i want to make up a small reloading kit for my kids hornet. i have a lee loader (thanks to a great person here!), boolits, etc. i'm using a percussion cap container, the small snuff kind, for primers. what would be a suitable small powder container? i was thinking of a metal tin from pellet gun pellets. the one i have is metal and has a screw on top. would this be ok? plastic better? do i need to worry about static?

autofix4u
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I set up a reloading kit for a friend a while back and used an A/C refregrant oil can. it held enough H4831 to load 40 rds of 7mm mag. about 6" tall 3" wide and 1" thick steel can with steel cap. if you want I could mail you 1 or 2. let me know.. thank you josh delozier

45nut
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Or a metal flask like for whiskey...............

shotman
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
they are making the aluminum beer " bottles" miller, I think that has a screw on cap. To help a buddy out If you send money I will test the contents and send the old containers to you. rick

hornsurgeon
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
first off, i would never contaminate my favorite flask with lowly powder, that's alcohol abuse around here. :P

second, as i should have stated, i want to use something small. i'm only loading 1 (one) grain of unique under these bator bullets in the hornet. no need for a half pound of powder. i think the metal pellet tin is going to be my best bet. i just wanted to know if anyone here saw a safety problem using it.

shotman
07-02-2009, 11:57 PM
answer No powder was shipped in steel for many years. Till plactic took over the land fills

07-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Or a twist top tin for pipe tobacco same idea just slightly larger. If you need one PM me i'm sure I might have one laying around.

hornsurgeon
07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
thanks for the offers guys. i've got a tin here.

Rocky Raab
07-03-2009, 01:47 AM
I have no qualm with your powder tin, but please rethink your primer tin. Primers should be kept in the original sleeve ONLY. Loose primers can detonate if shaken, and that would not be a pleasant thing for the lad.

SciFiJim
07-03-2009, 02:39 AM
+1 on the primers. A 100 primer tray takes up very little room and keeps them all separated and safe.

Terrier
07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Go to your fovorite health and beauty aid provider or pharmacy and look for the small travel size containers. Sometimes you can get a bag of various sizes for a few bucks.
Terrier

imashooter2
07-03-2009, 08:54 AM
I have no qualm with your powder tin, but please rethink your primer tin. Primers should be kept in the original sleeve ONLY. Loose primers can detonate if shaken, and that would not be a pleasant thing for the lad.

This is solid advice. It was the very first thing that came to my mind when I read your post.

hornsurgeon
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
i kinda figured if it was good enough for percussion caps it would be for primers, but i'll keep them in the original box.

one guy pm'd me about a 35mm film can for powder. i thought of that, but wanted something that couldn't pop open. the tin is screw on.

JIMinPHX
07-04-2009, 12:20 AM
first off, i would never contaminate my favorite flask with lowly powder, that's alcohol abuse around here. :P

A man after my own liver. :drinks:

Nora
07-04-2009, 02:46 AM
i kinda figured if it was good enough for percussion caps it would be for primers, but i'll keep them in the original box.

The percussion cap only has the cup and the priming compound to worry about, nothing to come apart. Center fire primers also have the anvil to add to the mix. If mishandle it may fall out rendering it useless. At best after falling out they are a pain in the **** to put back in. Not to mention the safety concerns addressed above.

Nora

Shiloh
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
The heavier plastic analgesic type bottles ( Aleve, Ibuprofen, ect..) are great for small amounts of powder. They have a secure, child resistant bottle cap.

Shiloh

trickyasafox
07-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Airsoft BB containers (smallest size) would hold a few ounces of powder, have a screw on lid, and a nice little nozzle. Not sure if the nozzle is too fine for powder to flow readily though.

link to show what I'm talking about:

http://ammo4airsoft.com/BBs%202.jpg

chris112
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
A couple of years ago, I purchased an "Xperimental pack" by hodgdon. 4 four oz. bottles of powder. Ask around someone should still have one of the bottles. Just be sure to clean it out good.

wiljen
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Film Canister?

Typecaster
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Somewhere in the studio I should still have a box of 60's era 35mm film cans—the aluminum ones with a screw-on lid and the vinyl gasket. 70mm cans were larger, but only have a slip-on lid.
Let me know if you're interested.

Richard

ddeaton
07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
They are selling the stainless water bottles with the screw top lid now pretty cheap. Trying to get people to go Green with the water bottles. That would make a nice powder canister, just dont drink from it and mark it well.[smilie=1:

ddeaton
07-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Somewhere in the studio I should still have a box of 60's era 35mm film cans—the aluminum ones with a screw-on lid and the vinyl gasket. 70mm cans were larger, but only have a slip-on lid.
Let me know if you're interested.

Richard

When I was a kid, I used to get tons of these from my Grandpa, he worked in the dept that devloped the film from the old surveillance cameras in banks and such. I dont have any nowadays, just brings up memories

hornsurgeon
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
thanks for all the suggestions and offers. i'm going to stick with the metal pellet tin.

WILCO
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
thanks for all the suggestions and offers. i'm going to stick with the metal pellet tin.

How much powder will it hold????

dougader
08-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I've used the old, brown, plastic vitamin bottles for years. The plastic never degrades IME and are easy to label.

jimkim
08-04-2009, 04:56 PM
The heavier plastic analgesic type bottles ( Aleve, Ibuprofen, ect..) are great for small amounts of powder. They have a secure, child resistant bottle cap.

Shiloh

That's what I use. Tylenol and Advil bottles come in a variety of sizes.