PDA

View Full Version : Is the craziness starting to slow down?

archmaker
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I have enough primers for a while, but I have been going out on Gun Broker just to see what the prices have been and it appears that the average cost has come down some.

Also I have been trying to get a mold for my 270 and the prices I was seeing was in the 80 range. Just bought a single cavity for just under $30 off flea-bay.

I have also noticed more post about this or that being available.

Anybody else noticing the difference or is just me.

Nate1778
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Nope, not yet, I just bought 5000 Fed match SPP at $39 per K cause I am out and just happened upon an "in stock" icon. I have had an order at Grafs for 2 months and finally e-mailed them just to see what the status was. The response was they were still trying to fill orders from 2008. So I pay the higher price to keep shooting and it will last me the rest of the season. I still think the demand is still very strong, and from some of the post on the world wide web from spokespeople of the plants, it will be a while before we see any sort of return to normalcy.

madman
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I have 25.000 small pistol primers on the way as of yesterday.

Nate1778
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Madman, what was the wait on the primers and where did you order them from.

NHlever
07-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I have 25.000 small pistol primers on the way as of yesterday.

And that's why the rest of us can't get the 500 we could really use.

10mmShooter
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow 25K you didnt leave any for anyone else ,
I'm disappointed I'm down to my last 400 WLP and last 1000 WSMP, then I'm out.

07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Hopefully, the 25,000 primers are prototypes of those with the much ballyhooed 2-year shelf-life.

JIMinPHX
07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse got in 40 bricks of small pistol primers today. 26 were still there when I arrived. Unfortunately, I needed large so I didn't get any.

lawboy
07-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Hopefully, the 25,000 primers are prototypes of those with the much ballyhooed 2-year shelf-life.

Good lord, man! I for one, am happy the man got what he wanted. :roll:

jmar254
07-03-2009, 01:28 AM
I am down to about 30,000 left. I bought mine last year as I saw them at the gun show. I could have closer to 40,000 had I bought the 1k boxes all the times I went to a gun show and just saw them sitting there. You blame us for buying them when they were around. How many of you went to a gun show or store and just walked past them. You have no one to BLAME but yourselves.

PS I have around 20# of powder left also

jack19512
07-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Good lord, man! I for one, am happy the man got what he wanted. :roll:

I'm really not wanting to get into a p*****g contest or anything over this but I personally agree with you 100%. I would tell everyone on this forum I have enough powder and primers to do me because I bought them when I needed/wanted them and was fortunate to stock up so I wouldn't be caught empty handed so to speak, but if I told everyone on this forum I did this they would label me a hoarder or worse and not be happy for me that I do have these supplies. As far as I know everyone had the same opportunity I did to purchase what they needed/wanted. :(

GLynn41
07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
down boys -- it is a touchy subject though-- I hate to see all this happen- because sadly some did get caught not ready-- -hopefully for those who are short this will ease up some- so you can practice your hobby- as for the better off-- maybe not giving the numbers might be good - just glad you have stuff-:mrgreen:

dpaqu
07-03-2009, 01:56 PM
I started my reloading hobby right in the middle of all of this.

I grabbed a couple hundred primers of the shelf from the local gun store in November just to try things out. I was completely ignorant of a run on primers and everything else until I got serous and decided I would make a big online order and that was in March. Well I just got a call yesterday that 2k large and small rifle primers and 1000 small pistol primers with some different powders I had ordered are on the way. Of course now I wish I had gotten more but I thought the "drought" was on its way to being over. I was about to give up on reloading and just shoot airguns and 22’s and maybe play with blackpowder.

I do think that things will be slowing down soon. Not only did I finally get my primers (4 months later!) but also I have a FFL friend who has a few AR10 rifles he thought would sell like hotcakes but will not leave the shelf. AR-15 prices seem to be stabilizing though I think AK prices are still crazy.

madman
07-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Get a grip guy's I ordered them online through a heads up that was given here on this site. I share my reloading stuff with my friend here at home, they are all more like family than friends. I cast and reload for them I do not charge them any thing to do it as they don't charge me for the things that they have done for me. They supply their own brass I do the rest. We have been Family for over 30 years and hunt, camp and fish together I taught many of their children when they were younger and now they have children of their own and now they are teaching other kids how to hunt, camp and fish.

Is that not what life is about family and friends!

Papa smurf
07-03-2009, 03:36 PM
The response to madman's post 3# is why I dont post or reply more often on this web site,
if anyone gives a d**n.------------------Papa Smurf

madman
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Also I forgot to speak to the question of the primers not being any goo after 2 years. Felix started that and there has been alot of comments about it. Why don't you all stop the gosip and email or call the manufactures and find out your selves from the horses mouth what it true and what is not!! one email to ATK and I got them laughing about the crap going around about the primers being bad after 2 years. ATK is the parent company of CCI and Federal I now have several emails in answer to the DUMB! question. "No that is ridiculous and the crap on the web sites is not true! and to not give any credence to any of the rumors" An answer to the question where have all of the primers and .22 ammo gone was " never in the history of reloading component manufacturing has there been a rush to purchase the available supplies, Production has increased several fold. The contracts have to be fulfilled first before there will be any supplies on the retailers shelves, and for the foreseeable future it will remain that way until the contracts are filled"

shooterg
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Widener's actually had Unique and RE15 in stock yesterday ! and a good price on Radway Green 4895. No primers though, although I see different sizes available at some of the big houses sporadically. I think it's easing up, primers will probably be $35/1000, powder about same. My guess anyway.

07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
madman,

Obviously, my facetious reply, regarding your primers, was rather lame.

My apologies.

piwo
07-03-2009, 08:23 PM

I got primers I bought in 1993.. they still go boom when loaded...... :grin:

archmaker
07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
You know when we get to the point where primers are about $10 a 1k, I might be stupid enough to start another thread with the word primers in it.

:(

Same discussion same remarks

As a Full Bird Colonel used to say to me "Noted".

(Heard you but I am just not going to do anything about it)

JIMinPHX
07-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Cabellas had a bunch of .38 special ammo on the shelves today. They even had 2 brands to choose from. It's the first time I've seen .38s in a long time. A few weeks ago, my sister wanted to go shooting & I tried to find some for her. It wasn't easy. All the on-line guys were sold out dry except for shot shells & blanks. Cabella's .38s were kinda pricey @ $18 & $20 per box for plain Jane PMC & Magtech, but hey, they had it.

They also had some 9mm & 40 cal non-toxic on the shelf. I started to look for it in .45acp so that I could get some .45 brass that takes small primers, but then I noticed the price on the 9's & 40's. that stuff was over $40/box. I shudder to think what the .45's would have cost if they had them.

.223 ammo was stacked far & wide, all over the place. The only problem was that it was $10 & up per box. They had plenty of shotgun ammo. They had some of the high end defensive pistol ammo in various calibers for the prices that stuff usually goes for.

Next I went to look for Lee Loaders. They had .223, .308 & .30-06 in stock, but not the 7.62 x 54R or .38 special that I was looking for. The powder shelf there is starting to get filled back up again. They had 20 or 30 different varieties on hand today at normal prices. The only primers that they had were for shotguns though.

I walked out empty handed, but at least they are starting to get some things back in again. Relief from this madness may be in sight if the clowns in Washington don't go pulling any new stunts on us.

Ole
07-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Cabellas had a bunch of .38 special ammo on the shelves today. They even had 2 brands to choose from. It's the first time I've seen .38s in a long time. A few weeks ago, my sister wanted to go shooting & I tried to find some for her. It wasn't easy. All the on-line guys were sold out dry except for shot shells & blanks. Cabella's .38s were kinda pricey @ $18 & $20 per box for plain Jane PMC & Magtech, but hey, they had it.

They also had some 9mm & 40 cal non-toxic on the shelf. I started to look for it in .45acp so that I could get some .45 brass that takes small primers, but then I noticed the price on the 9's & 40's. that stuff was over $40/box. I shudder to think what the .45's would have cost if they had them.

.223 ammo was stacked far & wide, all over the place. The only problem was that it was $10 & up per box. They had plenty of shotgun ammo. They had some of the high end defensive pistol ammo in various calibers for the prices that stuff usually goes for.

Next I went to look for Lee Loaders. They had .223, .308 & .30-06 in stock, but not the 7.62 x 54R or .38 special that I was looking for. The powder shelf there is starting to get filled back up again. They had 20 or 30 different varieties on hand today at normal prices. The only primers that they had were for shotguns though.

I walked out empty handed, but at least they are starting to get some things back in again. Relief from this madness may be in sight if the clowns in Washington don't go pulling any new stunts on us.

Cabelas. LOL.

I still enjoy browsing/people watching/window shopping there, but I haven't actually bought anything there in a while.

I have some Wolf ammo that is still on back order from last November and primers on back order from 3 months ago. :neutral:

wallenba
07-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I always bought primers as I needed them, about a thousand at a time. One reason was, it was an excuse to get out and visit with friends at the shop etc.. They kept advising me to stock up, but being cheap, I budgeted the stuff, as reloading is a hobby (to me anyway) not a necessity. I got caught off guard for sure. Next time I might be one of the hoarders, this situation is just breeding more hoarders!

finishman2000
07-04-2009, 07:55 AM
and that is a good thing!

idahoron
07-04-2009, 09:24 AM
What is scary is what would happen if people did the same thing with food?
In the end I think this hoarding will hurt the very buisness that are doing so well now. I have about 500 to 1000 primers of each I use. And I have all but quit using anything until the crazy stuff settles back down. I don't need 50,000 primers if I can't get powder. I don't need 900 pounds of powder if I can't get primers. Shooting will take a back seat for me for a while. I will load what I have and save it for hunting. Beyond that I am not going to buy stuff my great great grandkids will have to get rid of. Ron

JSH
07-04-2009, 10:11 AM
What is scary is what would happen if people did the same thing with food?
In the end I think this hoarding will hurt the very buisness that are doing so well now. I have about 500 to 1000 primers of each I use. And I have all but quit using anything until the crazy stuff settles back down. I don't need 50,000 primers if I can't get powder. I don't need 900 pounds of powder if I can't get primers. Shooting will take a back seat for me for a while. I will load what I have and save it for hunting. Beyond that I am not going to buy stuff my great great grandkids will have to get rid of. Ron

DITTO RON!
I know several guys that like to talk a BIG thing on how much they shoot. I believe I have spilled more powder than most have burned. I am no big time shooter but I do shoot enough that I would say I am above average to the masses. With all that has been bought across the country, I still don't see anyone shooting anymore.
I have tried to help a few people in the past as far as ammo. They think I am "tight" now because I won't load them up the 2-500 rounds I used to for free. I told them, you get the powder, primer and bullets and I will do the rest. One of them actually did price stuff and was shocked. Said he couldn't afford that. He wanted to 'buy' some of my old stock. I priced it to him just as what it would cost me to replace it. Then he accused me of gouging him. I said fine, you go buy all the equipment and do it your self. He did finally figure out that it was way cheaper than store bought if I did it.
Some of the ones that buy all of this stuff, I wonder if they have taken a real hard look at, how old they are, when they started shooting and how many rounds they have shot per year in their shooting "career" thus far. I would say maybe double that per year # and go from there on real #'s for what they would "need".
I watched a couple of guys do the "pray and spray" thing early this year into the burm at my club. One of them says, man we tore the crap out of that huh. All I could do is think WOW, you two are doing good to hit the earth...............................makes the old "barn door" comments look pretty small.
If my dad had ever seen me shoot like that, my $ on my ammo or not, I would still be seeing double.
jeff

felix
07-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Me too, Jeff! My dad always contemplated the worth of the target against the worth of the round before taking a shot. This is also the confrontation I faced with my sons too. They liked to spray the pond with single projectiles until I asked them to use shotguns instead for that kind of fun. They indeed became very good shots in that venue over several years. Their shotgun ability is far, far beyond what I could have imagined. Either one of the sons will hit 20 out of 25 out of hand thrown clays from any unknown starting point and trajectory. I would be lucky to hit 5 on the luckiest day. ... felix