PDA

View Full Version : need some help

bigfoot
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
hi guys,
love reading this forum so much i started casting my own boolits, my first cast turned out pretty well, only cast about 50 just to see how everything works, so next i tried sizing an lubing, well sizing went ok but the lube pushes out in the lube ring and out on the bottom bevel of the boolit. you have to wipe the bottom of each one off, is that normal. im casting 230gr. tc bevel base, right where the bevel is on the base is where it pushes out more lube.
thanks in advance!!!
bigfoot

Doble Troble
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Lube around a bevel base is normal. Sometimes I swipe it off with a finger, sometimes I ignore it. Either way it seems to work fine for run-and-gun ammo (but I like gunsmoke).

If you're going for accuracy take the time to wipe it off with a rag. Sometimes you can adjust the sizing depth just right to avoid most of the problem.

1z-bar
07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
If you are willing to spend more money, the star luber is the way to go! If you are planing on lubing a lot it will pay for itself in a short time! :-D

mroliver77
07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
The bevel base does not work well with a Lyman/RCBS type lube sizer. I use wafers cut from meat tray foam on some loads and have squished them under a boolit in the sizing die and sealed off the lube leak. You must be careful on lube pressure or it will bleed past. Someone here stated they use a custom push pin in their die that matches the bottom of the boolit. Good idea. I thought of mebbe "bedding" it with epoxie but I have a couple Star sizers now and problem solved.
Jay

1Shirt
07-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Never had much luck with bbased blts, and gave up shooting them long ago. If it doesn't have a square base (plain or gas check), I just don't want them. Will admit that the BB's load just fine and easy, and that is about as much of a plus for them as I am able to come up with.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

HeavyMetal
07-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I take it your using either a Lyman or RCBS sizer?

These units use the same type die.

What I have done: is determine the depth I need to seat the boolit in the sizer, what you looking for is which lube holes line up with the lube groove on the boolit.

Once you figure out which set of holes is closest to your boolit groove adjust the depth so they line up and then take some lead shot, 7 1/2 works well, and plug up all the other holes!

Now you just have to teach yourself that when you give the handle on top a bit of a twist to put lube in that groove that your not trying to strangle the darn thing!

A light touch and some shot will cure 99% of your lube issue on the base's.

Buckshot
07-04-2009, 12:22 AM
.............Unless the design has a very pronounced BB it shouldn't be an issue for either accuracy or longevity. A 'fix' is to place a gas check in the die then set the boolit in the die and then lube-size it. The GC will (should, mostly always will) remain atop the ejector pin in the die. A week/10 days ago I lubed up a couple hundred of the Lyman 147gr FN-BB 9mm boolits doing the above. It has a fairly large BB and the GC stayed put for the entire run.

http://www.fototime.com/196912D467E731D/standard.jpg

I've made rebated ejector pins for several folks for BB boolits, as above. It eliminates most of the lube on the BB, but does leave a tiny bit, and it HAS too if you think about it. If the BB angles up to become the boolit's OD the only way to stop all the lube would require the ejector pin to have a very fine knife edge at it's top, like a wad punch. But for strength and durability it just isn't feasible.

.................Buckshot

bigfoot
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
thanks for all the imput, since the last time i was here, i had went out to my lathe and made a sleeve to fit over the o.d. of the sizer to cover up one set of holes. that works better but still leaves a little on the bevel, i think im going to try making a recessed pusher next since i dont have any gas checks. it would have to look similar to the gas check picture. thanks buckshot your pic got me thinkin

hammerhead357
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
A rag moistened with mineral spirits placed close by and wipe the base of the boolit on it before it goes into a box or whatever for storage works also. It does slow things down a bit but I have done it.
I prefer to use a Star lubricator/sizer but I do have a Saeco sizer and do pan lube some boolits so I just use whatever I have to to get the results that I want....Wes

JIMinPHX
07-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Sometimes just adjusting the lubrisizer so that the boolit goes down a little deeper will give you less lube on the bottom of the boolit. pushing the boolits down quickly & pulling them back up quickly can reduce the amount of time that the lube has to ooze in around the bevel. If you have a heater on the lubrisizer, then you might try turning the heat down a little bit so that the lube isn't as fluid. Holding firm down pressure on the front lever while pulling the lube squirter can reduce the lube that gets under the boolit too. You can usually block off one set of lube holes in the sizing die by stuffing a piece of #4 shot in each of the 4 holes at one level. If the boolits are under diameter & not actually being squished to size by the die, that makes things a lot worse. You may want to consider beagling your mold if that's the case.

...Just some ideas.