PDA

View Full Version : Input needed on boooit design

rockrat
07-02-2009, 10:21 AM
If you have seen what MiHec put up and also what Blammer put up on a boolit design for the 50bmg, there are a couple of differences. One is not much of a difference, .460" lube groove dia vs .468" dia (same with GC), but the main difference is the transition from gas check shank to driving band. Blammer has more of a traditional 90 degree whereas mine has a 30degree ramp to the driving band. Kind of like an .080" boattail before the paralles shank. It makes the gas check shank longer. It is also like what is on a mold I got from CBE. I am thinking that with the 50bmg, you have such a heavy boolit and burning quite a bit of powder (200+gr) that the CBE design will resist the stresses to the base of the boolit, upon firing, maybe making for a bit better accuracy. Maybe reisist any deformation, plus holds some lube there.

Am I full of it in my way of thinking, or might there be some merit to the way CBE has done their, and incorporated into mine, design. Your input is needed.

To see , look under group buys and 50bmg. Thanks

Bass Ackward
07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Logic can always lead you in a direction that may or may not bear fruit. Is something a new concept or has it been tried before? And if it has, did the concept catch on? Remember dirt catching grooves in front of the drive band? DD bands? If it was tried and it didn't catch on, then I'd say odds aren't too good.

At the same time another question should be asked. What could / will it hurt? Or are there any disadvantages?

The whole problem here is how something is used and then proving it. Minus proof, that seldom is seen in shooting, I say that if it doesn't negatively impact a design, use it. So in some situations and some guns you might see big difference, no difference or a performance drop depending on what was happening.

If that check is pushed forward from collapsing lead, what happens to this space or the check itself?

The only potential negatives that I can see is if it collapses uniformly. Square grooves tend to collapse uniformly while rounded or tapered do not. Now this debate has raged from the days when lead was ALL that they had to shoot. I would still say that it ain't settled yet. But I like square myself.

Plus, if by some chance the tapered lead restricts the space in front of the check that lube might be held in a slightly higher quantity that it prevented fouling, then that could be a negative. Or if the check collected fouling and that space filled up that might otherwise be removed, then performance could be affected.

This isn't probably what you wanted to hear, but it is food for thought in a decision that only you must make.