PDA

View Full Version : case lube and water mix ratio?

Marine Sgt 2111
07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I remember reading years ago (and using) RCBS case resizing lube diluted/mixed with water. You put the brass into a jar, filled it to the top with the lube/water mix. Next you drained out the mixture, let the cases set out on a cookie sheet over night and even though they were not sticky to the touch you could resize them without a hitch. I never had a case misfire and it worked great.

Has anyone ever used this method for mass lubing cases for resizing? Does anyone remember the mixture of lube to water? Between being retired and single again...I have lots of brass to resize and reload....

Dale53
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Marine Sgt 2111;
I shot Big Bore for several years. Ed Harris recommended using diluted LEE Case Lubricant. As I remember (take it for what it's worth) the dilution rate was 4 parts water and 1 part Lee Case Lubricant. I took a .50 caliber GI can, half filled it with the mixture (took several tubes), put the DECAPPED cases in a French Fry Basket that fit, dipped them in the mixture, then held them over the GI can and shook the excess out of the cases. I then spread them on a newspaper to dry overnight. I did a couple thousand at a time. If you are in a hurry, spread them on newspapers outdoors in the sun. They will dry in a couple or three hours. It is VERY important to decap the cases first so that air will circulate inside and dry the cases properly.

The beauty of this method, is that the case necks are lubed inside for MUCH easier and better case sizing. The dried wax is inert (just a film, really) and will not damage powder or primer. It is NOT necessary to clean them afterwards (in fact, it would be detrimental).

You DO have to shake the GI can up before using each time and the wax has a tendency to settle out a bit. However, I found that NO problem.

When you are loading in bulk, this method can be highly recommended.

I would ALWAYS clean my cases in a vibratory tumbler (prior to use) and put them, clean and dry, into the Lee mixture.

Dale53