PDA

View Full Version : Is it really illegal to make black powder

delmar
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Is it really illegal to make black powder to shoot in your own gun? If it is legal how much is an individual allowed to keep on hand?

Old Ironsights
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
There is "illegal" and there is "illegal"....

It's not so much "illegal" under Federal law ( (http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/TEXTgate.cgi?WAISdocID=50423111550+12+1+0&WAISaction=retrieve)your state may be (and usually is) different) to MAKE Black powder, but it is illegal to sell it or trade it, and, depending on the quantity, illegal to store it in a non-inspected/non-approved facility...

You are much more likely to get in trouble with your LOCAL/State gooberments than the feds - unless they (the feds) decide you have gone into the "business of manufacture & distribution" of a regulated substance. The reg I posted does not define at what level the Fed considers "manufacture" to be a liscensable event...

It's one of those "treading on thin ice"/"local office interpretation" things... Kind of like, it is not "illegal" to make your own distilled spirits so long as you don't make over X amount and you never give a bottle of it to anyone else...

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Actually, crazy is a better term! That stuff goes "Boom" on an all-together too frequent basis.

Rich
DRSS

windrider919
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Actually, for BPCR I make non-corrosive BP substitute using either vitamin C (ascorbic acid powder) or powdered confectioners sugar and potasium nitrate. You don't really need sulfur if you use a hot primer. This substitute will not reliably fire in a flintlock because there it needs the sulfur as 'tinder' to initiate the reaction. Everything in my ball mill including myself is grounded while running to drain off any static charge that might set off an accident. It runs in its own little 'outhouse' by itself in the middle of a field. I only make 1 lb at a time. Then I store it in old BP cans, never more than 2 or 3 lbs in possession at a time. Never enough to disturb any LEOs, fur shur.

Note: Ascorbic acid 'white powder' is more powerful than regular BP and charges must be reduced 20% and worked up.

Lead Fred
07-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Its only illegal is you get cought

Springfield
07-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Not true, illegal things are always illegal, you only get prosecuted if you get caught.

atr
07-02-2009, 08:26 AM
when I was a kid I used to make black powder....charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter...got some nice pops and bangs from my homemade brew,,,, my dad always grumbled about never being able to find any charcoal for the barbeque which is what I was grinding up for my "mix"

357maximum
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Charcoal briquettes are not the thing to use. Willow sapling chunks work much better when made into charcoal. Biquettes are full of clay and other crap. When made properly WET in a ball mill, it is not that dangerous...do some reading on ball mills/ tire makers sulphur and such then tread lightly. The internet can learn you how to do it safely if you are truly inspired.

And as far as the law....if you worry about being persecuted for a pound or so of homemade bp...how free are you? the above is JMHO and in no way any form of legal counsel.

RMulhern
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Life is short; too damn short for me to be messing around trying to shoot something that's gonna be about as accurate as throwing rocks...not counting the strong possibility that it would probably be dang difficult to pull a trigger or two with missing fingers or....not being able to see because of being blinded by an accidental explosion. So...I'll continue to shoot Swiss or Goex and when those aren't available...I'll resort to 'David's sling'!!

JeffinNZ
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Life is short; too damn short for me to be messing around trying to shoot something that's gonna be about as accurate as throwing rocks...not counting the strong possibility that it would probably be dang difficult to pull a trigger or two with missing fingers or....not being able to see because of being blinded by an accidental explosion. So...I'll continue to shoot Swiss or Goex and when those aren't available...I'll resort to 'David's sling'!!

I could not agree more. Damn foolish business making BP when the commercial is so available.

Jim
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Hmmm. I said something to that effect recently and was severly chastised, not to mention the nasty PM I got from someone who disagreed with me.

JeffinNZ
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
That's OK Jim. You will still be alive to send flowers to the persons spouse....................

pietro
07-02-2009, 08:42 PM
[ make black powder....charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter]

Say what you want, but IMHO ALL shooters would be well advised to learn the proportions/ratios of the mix, and learn how to make it.

If gun control, or the current economic meltdown, "push" comes to "shove", there may be NO other option available for obtaining food or self defense.

Yes, many are hoarding metallic ammo & reloading supplies against that possibility - but what happens, when even THAT well runs dry ?

perotter
07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
pietro,

White & red powder is safer & faster to make. Just follow the US government directions. Chemists from DuPont/IMR worked on the project that ended in the gov publication.

White powder, in a Dutch Beumont it will dup, the original velocity. Uses a little less KN than BP, so it's cheaper.

FWIW, homemade smokeless powder isn't hard or dangerous to make. IMO, it would be hard to match what the factories sell as canister powder.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-03-2009, 12:50 AM
you just need to get your priorities straight. Buy a case of black Month One. Buy six 8lb jugs of surplus 844 and 846 Month Two. Buy 500lbs of WW/Lead and 2000 bulk 223/308 bullets Month Three. Buy 10,000 primers Month Four. Then repeat. If you started that five years ago when I did, you are likely pretty fixed.

Rich
DRSS

windrider919
07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Quote>
Damn foolish business making BP when the commercial is so available.
Quote>

That is just the point, storing more than 5 lbs unless you have a rated powder storage safe is ill-eagle. Perhaps where you are it is always available. But here there have been times when no dealer within 100 miles had any BP or substitute for 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some of us don't have the resources to stock up on everything that might run out.

Furthermore, the danger is there but it is also there in a lot you take for granted. If you only knew what HasMat was on so many trains and semi trucks you would freak.
Just like anything else there are safety precautions to take to reduce the chance of failure. Note I said reduce because the only way to eliminate all danger is to live in a feather bed and never leave it. I scuba dive, I jump out of perfectly good airplanes, I go up by myself into the mountains backpacking when there is not another person for (I hope) hundreds of miles, I engineer on cigarette boats going over 100MPH on the water. And I drive in Houston traffic which scares the **** out of me daily. Sometimes I even go out shrimping with friend who are ******* redneck good ol boy know-everythings whose boats are held together with tobacco juice and duc tape that really scare me.

Making BP does not scare me, not because I am ignorant but because it is controllable danger that if the proper procedures are followed the danger is small.

Finally, would someone show me in federal statute or register where making BP is "ill-eagle". IT IS NOT. Even manufacturing your own fireworks is not. I also am a member of an Amateur Rocketry group (not model rockets like for kids) that builds shoots rockets that weigh hundreds of pounds and fly up to 50 miles high. Scares the caca out of the feds who keep wanting to restrict us by limiting the number of pounds of propellant per launch. Somehow our hobby keeps fighting them of because of the many thousands of us across the country. Yah, I know what my 6" diameter, 52 pound max weight (payload bay minus electronics would hold maybe 4 1/2 lbs BP), supersonic rocket with a class M motor that puts out 400lb thrust would do if launched sideways. We [several doz each month] launch once a month out at NASA Clear Lake, between Houston n Galveston. I keep running into people who think that is against the law too. But we are responsible adults and JUST DON"T do the wrong sort of thing. I have bungee jumped once too, that was enough for me. And I hunted elk in Oregon with all the once a year Portland hunters in the woods with me, now THATs dangerous. Remember; Danger is relative.

waksupi
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
That is incorrect information. The limit is 50#, before a magazine is required.

PatMarlin
07-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Sometimes I even go out shrimping with friend who are ******* redneck good ol boy know-everythings whose boats are held together with tobacco juice and duc tape that really scare me.

That's the scariest most dangerous thing mentioned here yet.

On the radio yesterday I heard a young city woman say how she was terrified and affraid for her family of "ice cream" swirly low watt light bulbs because they contain mercury, and she went on to say ONE drop of mercury will pollute a 2 acre lake... :groner:

All risk is managed by skill and knowledge, and common sense. Much of the American population has become truly retarded.

That being said, it is so dry and in this part of the country sometimes I shock myself and my cat all day long.. :mrgreen:

I've been looking for mineral deposits for BP up here and have a line on some sulfur acording to the USGS, but I have to hike back in to find it someday.

Don McDowell
07-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Quote>
Damn foolish business making BP when the commercial is so available.
Quote>

That is just the point, storing more than 5 lbs unless you have a rated powder storage safe is ill-eagle. Perhaps where you are it is always available. But here there have been times when no dealer within 100 miles had any BP or substitute for 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some of us don't have the resources to stock up on everything that might run out.

Actually unless there's some local restriction you can have 50lbs without a magazine.
As far as the nobody has it within a 100 miles. Grafs will ship one lb if you want. Powder Inc ships in 5 lb lots. Price of gas nowdays a person is hard pressed to drive very far and come out cheaper than the hazmat fee.

windrider919
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Actually, my local fire code specifies no more than 5lbs BP contained in the original container, then up to 50 lbs in an approved 'venting fire safe'. Above 50 lbs is not legal in the home and must be stored in a separate permitted 'magazine' facility / structure.

texasmac
07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/RealTexasMac/MakingmyownBlackPowder.jpg

shooterg
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
When I was a kid, my Gilbert chemistry set came with sulphur and potassium nitrate. Charcoal not hard to make ! I thought the one hole stoppers were just perfect for fuses...
Now kid's chemistry sets do not come stocked with ANYTHING that is any fun at all.

Circuit Rider
07-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Everything I have read for storing BP I think I'm doing. In original containers, In sealed ammo cans, in a cool dry place. I have more than 5 lbs. Do I need to build a separate steel storage unit for it? Circuit Rider

windrider919
07-05-2009, 04:32 AM
cool /dry is ok although it is nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin based powders that really need cool to prevent deteriation. They deteriorate because the acid used to make them is not totally flushed out and the traces remaining sort of activate to ruin the powder at higher temps. There is WWII ammo that has been stored in underground bunkers at 45 degrees that is still just as powerful today as when loaded. Yet I read an article that shells left in a car trunk for a hot summer lost almost 10% velocity.

BP is not effected by heat like this, remember old artillery shells loaded with BP from the Civil war still go off at times today. The point with smokeless single and double base progressive powder storage is to NOT contain the gas which would cause an explosion but to let it vent. That is why the steel and plastic 1 lb containers would rupture and let the gas from burning powder freely escape. And powder safes are built / designed to try to keep the fire away for a while but at some point let the powder burn without containment so it does not explode.

But BP will explode even without significant containment. And any containment makes it worse and adds shrapnel to the incident. Thats why the different shipping and storage rules. BP explodes and progressive burns fast Putting BP in a strong, sealed box like an ammo can is asking for a stronger explosion IF it were to explode, like in a house fire. And smokeless / progressive might be contained enough in a strong box like an ammo can to reach a little higher level of burn rate and sort of explode instead of burn. So, light weight easily ruptured steel box ok but strong steel (ammo) box not ok.

melchior
09-05-2009, 03:53 AM
pietro,

White & red powder is safer & faster to make. Just follow the US government directions. Chemists from DuPont/IMR worked on the project that ended in the gov publication.

Can anyone point me to that publication?

Jim
09-05-2009, 07:25 AM
http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-01-09.htm

Here ya' go.

1874Sharps
09-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I must say that I would be disinclined to make my own BP for several reasons. First and foremost there are safety issues, some of which should be obvious and some of which may not be to those without an educational background in chemistry. I do agree with some of you out there that it certainly can be safely with proper precautions and risk management. There is, however, much that can go catastrophically wrong. History is replete with accidents resulting in mortality and injury at powder mills. One of the DuPont family was killed as I recall in the early days of their powder making venture in such an explosive accident. I live in the city/country (within city limits in a somewhat rural setting) and have neighbors. This alone tends to deter me. If I lived in the country on 40 acres I still do not think I would make the stuff as long as I can buy it reasonably (even though I have a degree in chemistry). I do have KNO3 for making nitrated paper for cap and ball revolver paper cartridges and could get sulphur and make charcoal, crush and powder the components, etc., but the cost/benefit analysis in my mind does not justify the attempt. For some of you it may and you are welcome to do so (I know of no laws against it and there are suppliers that will sell you everything you need to get set up). The only thing I would say is for your own sake read everything you can on the subject to THOROUGHLY educate yourself on all aspects before embarking on such an endeavor!!!! Do not try to make large batches, but rather do it in small amounts so that you minimize the risk. There is not just the science to master but there is also the technical and art aspects in making BP. In other words it is not just mixing the three components according to a formula. There are different qualities and grades of commercial BP and the only reason I would try it on my own is if I thought I could whip up some super duper stuff that was better than the best grades presently available and I seriously doubt I could. I hope this post does not offend anyone of either opinion but rather I hope it is understood in the context of friendly and helpful suggestion.

cal50
09-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Ball mill ingredients- Easy
Press milled powder into pucks to the required density-Easy
Corning (granulating) powder- Can be dangerous and where most accidents happen.
Sieving for size -Easy
Graphite coating- If you really want to!

It's not difficult but do not get in a hurry and use a good charcoal (key) for fast powder. Willow , Balsa or grape vine are excellent BP charcoals.

Marlin Hunter
09-20-2009, 02:57 AM
I have more than 5 lbs. Do I need to build a separate steel storage unit for it? Circuit Rider

Around here the law WAS that dealers had to store their powder in a wooden box at least 1 inch thick and held together with glue or something else besides nails or screws that could become shrapnel if the box exploded. I think metal hinges and screw for the hinge were OK. The reason for the wood is that in a fire it wood give some insulation to the powder, while a metal box would transmit the heat much faster. If the wooden box caught on fire it would not explode if the powder ignited from the heat. It would just burn real fast. A steel box like an ammo can could become a bomb and injure firefighters if they came to put out the fire. There was no law for individuals except a max of 5 lbs of BP, but no limit for smokeless.

perotter
09-20-2009, 10:00 AM
http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-01-09.htm

Here ya' go.

That copy has a typo. It should be 1/8 cup of rust. NOT 1.8 cups. There is an accurate copy on the internet. I didn't book mark it, but I'll search for it tonite.

PatMarlin
09-20-2009, 11:09 AM
There was a guy who sold homemade ball mills, and had a complete do it yourself website on the subject. What happened to him. Did he blow up?

I say run that tumbler on the south 40 and don't stand over it while it's crushing for one ..:mrgreen:

dsmjon
09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Better start practicing now. Who knows, by 2012 or 2016 we might all be discussing this on "underground" belletin boards, b/c gunpowder will be illegal. Might not hurt to freshen up on how to make your own.

That being said, anyone know how to make your own primers?

/tinfoil hat OFF

4t5
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Actually, my local fire code specifies no more than 5lbs BP contained in the original container, then up to 50 lbs in an approved 'venting fire safe'. Above 50 lbs is not legal in the home and must be stored in a separate permitted 'magazine' facility / structure.

TX state law allows 25# of BP in a private residence.

Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies. (b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
(1)...(2)...(3)...(4)...
(5) regulate the storage or transportation of explosives to protect public health and safety, except that 25 pounds or less of black powder for each private residence and 50 pounds or less of black powder for each retail dealer are not subject to regulation;...

klcarroll
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, ....since BP is a regulated explosive, ....I would imagine that if the local BATF office got wind of the fact that you were manufacturing, they would, at the very least, start bugging you about "proper record keeping". (....And THAT would become a PITA in a hurry!)

My personal feeling is: .....The less I have to do with those bureaucrats, ...The better!

Kent

perotter
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, ....since BP is a regulated explosive, ....I would imagine that if the local BATF office got wind of the fact that you were manufacturing, they would, at the very least, start bugging you about "proper record keeping". (....And THAT would become a PITA in a hurry!)

My personal feeling is: .....The less I have to do with those bureaucrats, ...The better!

Kent

For one's own use & for small arms such thing are exempt for the BATF.

perotter
09-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Better start practicing now. Who knows, by 2012 or 2016 we might all be discussing this on "underground" belletin boards, b/c gunpowder will be illegal. Might not hurt to freshen up on how to make your own.

That being said, anyone know how to make your own primers?

/tinfoil hat OFF

Yes. I've been posting on a couple of other forums the last few months about it & the use of plate for loading the primers. In the past I've made the cups. Currently I'm just reloading fired primers.

The cheapest mix is about $0.25 for 1,000 primers.

FWIW, one of my criteria for the mixes is that one doesn't need an investment in equipment. My real interest is in simple, safe & inexpensive smokeless propellants. But primers are in short supply & I like doing public service work.

If there is any interest, I'll post some links to primer making & list a couple of good books.

krag35
09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
If there is any interest, I'll post some links to primer making & list a couple of good books.
Please Do !!!!

perotter
09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
'Ammunition Making' by G. Frost. It's been out of print for a while & used copies go for about $250. Don't know the copyright/legal side of this book.

Link to the password needed to unzip it:
http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?t=342488
Link to download it:
http://rapidshare.com/files/222655568/Ammunition_Making.rar

This book is basically a tech manual for running an ammo factory. All the details for making ammo are in it. How to make cases, primers, loading equipment, safety, etc.

This has making the cup & anvils. The equipment, specs etc. Details on making current US primer mixes. I don't make these.

I have just finished round one testing on mixes that are simpler for small scale DIY. If we can't get the chems for at least one of them, we're pre-Stone age. Also, these will work when called upon. Most simple & not of simple non-corrosive won't. Or have limited shelf life.

Tested A&O number 4 but used barium nitrate. This is a combined hot gas / hot spark mix . They said it's good all around for pistol, shotgun & rifle. They said fast primer.

Dry. In a small pistol cup. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). Filled cup again & packed(this is called 3/4 cup). 1/2 cup didn't work. The 3/4 cup did work each time. The amount of mix that worked was 0.5 grains. Normal commercial is 0.4 grains. When fired in the pistol, the flame from the end of the pistol was over a foot long.

Retested in rifle. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). 1/2 cup worked. The amount of mix for 1/2 was 0.4 grains. When fired in the rifle, the flame from the end of the barrel was over a foot long.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 34.32% 2
Barium nitrate 24.26% 1
Sulfur 26.63% 2
Aluminum Powder 14.79% 1

Add 1% baking soda to this mix.

1. Measure out 1 volume of Barium nitrate and put it on a sheet of paper. Crush out any lumps.
2. Measure out 1 volume of powder aluminum beside the BN.
3. Measure out 2 volume of sulfur and put it on a sheet of paper beside the BN. Crush out any lumps.
3. Pour the above back & forth between 2 sheets of paper 10 to 20 times.
4. Beside this pile of mix, measure out 2 volumes of potassium chlorate. Crush out any lumps.
5. Combine it all together.
6. Pour it back & forth between 2 sheets of paper until your very bored. 20 to 30 times for me.
7. Reload primers.

Tested Ron Brown's modified. This is more of hot spark primer. Should be a good all around.

Dry. In a small pistol cup. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). Filled cup again & packed(this is called 3/4 cup). 1/2 cup did work each time. The amount of mix for 1/2 was 0.4 grains. The 3/4 did work each time. The amount of mix for 3/4 was 0.5 grains. When fired in the pistol, the flame from the end of the pistol was about the same as CCI small pistol.

Retested in rifle. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). 1/2 cup worked & was 0.4 grains. When fired in the rifle, there was no flame from the end of the barrel.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 46.6% 3
Sulfur 19.41% 2
Grit* 33.98% 1.5

* The grit I used was 4030 sandblasting sand. Just measured it out. I think this is to a little course. I also, think one could use less of it.

1. Measure out 2 volumes of sulfur and put it on a sheet of paper. Crush out any lumps.
2. Measure out 1 1/2 volumes of fine sand. Add this to the sulfur.
3. Pour the above back & forth between 2 sheets of paper 10 to 20 times.
4. Beside this pile of mix, measure out 3 volumes of potassium chlorate. Crush out any lumps.
5. Combine it all together.
6. Pour it back & forth between 2 sheets of paper until your very bored. 20 to 30 times for me.
7. Reload primers.

Untested A&O number 3 but used barium nitrate. They said for rifle only.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 33.33% 2
Barium nitrate 24.26% 1
Sulfur 25.86% 2
Antimony Sulfide 17.24% 1

Tested by me Ron Brown 'Homemade Guns and Homemade Ammo'

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 52.73% 3
Sulfur 27.27% 2
Grit 20% 1.5

The % by weight is close. Depends of what the grit is.

Dry. Small pistol cup. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). 1/2 cup did work each time. The amount of mix for 1/2 was 0.4 grains. When fired in the rifle, the flame from the end of the barrel was less than CCI small pistol. Used powder glass- broken window, hammer & sauce pan.

Untested by me FA-70 old US gov mix

FA-70 this is what the US military, given them to them by Winchester, used from 1918 into the 1950s. It was used is some match grade ammo into the 1960s. They switched to this because of it's long storage life, reliability, etc. This is considered the best primer mix ever.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 53% ?
Antimony Sulfide 17% ?
Lead Sulfocyanate 25% ?
TNT 5% ?

DOESN'T need baking soda.
The last 2 aren't going to found at the local garden store. They can be made at home, but ....

Tested FA-42 old US gov mix

FA-42 this is what the US military used before FA-70. And was the original 30/06 primer. They switched to get rid of the pure sulfur. In the end, the problem was that they weren't properly dried & bromite in the chlorate.

Dry. Small pistol cup. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). 1/2 cup did work each time. The amount of mix for 1/2 was 0.4 grains. When fired in the rifle, the flame from the end of the barrel was about the same as CCI small pistol.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 47.20% 2
Antimony Sulfide 30.83% 1.59
Sulfur 21.97% 1.66

I started with the weight & than calculated the volume. Not real clean by volume.

Tested H-48 old US gov mix

H-48 this is what the US military used before FH-42. It was used in the 30/40 Krag They switched to get rid of the glass.

Dry. Small pistol cup. Used powder glass. Filled cup & pack(this is called 1/2 cup). 1/2 cup did work each time. The amount of mix for 1/2 was 0.4 grains. When fired in the rifle, the flame from the end of the barrel was about the same as CCI small pistol.

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 49.6% ?
Antimony Sulfide 25.1% ?
Sulfur 8.7% ?
Glass 16.6%

I started with the weight & than calculated the volume. Not real clean by volume.

Untested by me "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics" #3

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium chlorate 50%
Antimony Sulfide 20%
Lead peroxide 25%
NC/TNT/ETC 5%

Untested by me "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics" #4

Chem %weight by volume
Potassium perchlorate 50%
Zirconium 50%

The ones that I've made I've tested in the gun etc. I also left them out uncovered in a room for 2 months. They all still worked. I haven't tried them with hard to ignite powders.

I'm leaning heavy toward FA-42 for non-magnum primers for must work apps. I've been working a couple of different non-corrosive mixes for target & hunt load.

Gunshow Books has this one that, IMO, is worth having. 'The Poor Man's Primer Manual'.
http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=GS207733&sid=ED5Qm56t

That is were I got some of the info on making primer plates. I'll post some more latter.

texasmac
09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Interesting,

I have an pristine copy of Ammunition Making by George E. Frost from when the NRA was selling it back in the mid 90's. Although not at $250, Amazon.com currently has two used copies listed for sale at $199.99, so it's increased almost 10-fold in value since I bought it.

By the way, some time ago I checked Amason's price and noted it on a label on the front cover. On 12-28-08 the price for a used copy was $89.95, so it's more than doubled in value in 9 months. If only a few of my stocks would do that I'd be able to quit my day job.

Wayne

texasmac
09-24-2009, 01:57 PM
If anyone is interested I also have a pristine (brand new condition) copy of Black Powder Manufacturing, Testing & Optimizing by Ian von Maltitz. It's considered by many as the "bible of black powder manufacturing". Amazon currently has a used one listed for $117.44 + shipping. I'll priority ship my copy to the 1st guy that sends me $95 cash or a USPS money order.

A few years ago I thought about making my own black powder, but never got around to attempting it and have given up on the idea.

Wayne
PM or email me at texas*mac*@*sbc*global*.*net (remove all the *'s)

klcarroll
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
For one's own use & for small arms such thing are exempt for the BATF.

@Perotter;

You may be 100% correct on that: ......But having had extensive dealings with those guys in the past, ....I'll bet a weeks pay that the "Burden of Proof" in the matter of "personal use only" will fall squarely on you!

.......And one of the things my Grandfather taught me that I have NEVER forgotten: "NEVER..... EVER.... Be a Test Case!!!!"

Kent

perotter
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Interesting,

I have an pristine copy of Ammunition Making by George E. Frost from when the NRA was selling it back in the mid 90's. Although not at $250, Amazon.com currently has two used copies listed for sale at $199.99, so it's increased almost 10-fold in value since I bought it.

Wayne

Back in the day, I bought my 1st one for $14.95. Bought it mostly just to round up to an even $100 when getting some other books. Didn't look a it for a couple of weeks. But when I did & saw what was in it, I bought another to store off site.

perotter
09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
@Perotter;

You may be 100% correct on that: ......But having had extensive dealings with those guys in the past, ....I'll bet a weeks pay that the "Burden of Proof" in the matter of "personal use only" will fall squarely on you!

.......And one of the things my Grandfather taught me that I have NEVER forgotten: "NEVER..... EVER.... Be a Test Case!!!!"

Kent

10s of 1,000s people in the US make bp. I haven't made bp since I was 13-14 years old. A long time ago. There are safer, cheaper & more effective propellants that can be made. Those are what I make.