PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chucker

nelson133
03-18-2006, 06:08 PM
I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker at a gun show today for $45. It appears to be in good shape. It was an impulse buy as I was buying some other stuff from this guy and he just casually mentioned he'd give me a good deal on my choice of the used rock Chucker presses he had. So the question is how good a deal did I get? And no I don't want to sell it.

Johnch
03-18-2006, 07:09 PM
A new one will cost you about $115 .
If in good shape I would say you did good .

I have 2 mounted on the reloading bench .
1 is 15 years old and the other is ?? I bought both used and they both still work great .

If you take care of it , your grand kids can use it to teach their kids to load ( if they leagaly still can )

Johnch

buck1
03-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Mine has seen heavy use all of its life, it still just as good as a new one. Under the die bushing is the year of MFG. Mine is 1970, thats 36 years and still humming right a long. 45$, Thats a good deal for a quality tool!.........Buck

charlie / sw mo
03-19-2006, 12:50 AM
i have one i think i picked up around 70. my house burned down on it in 87--i cleaned it up and it is still giving good service. (its black now) i converted it to the hornady lock and load system. im allways amazed at what i learn on these lists--didnt know there was a mfg date on them --ill have to check that tommarow

charlie in sw mo

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Guess what I'll be doing when I get home from work tomorrow? Standing on my head looking for the date. I bought it new in 1981 from memory, so probably then or a year earlier. I had a bit of paper with the ladies name that checked it, I can't remember her name, it will be back home somewhere I never throw that sort of stuff out.

We will all be posting our dates tomorrow no doubt! :-)

Good luck with a top tool, mine has had heavy use all the time I have owned it. I keep the ram lubed with graphite grease and it looks like a new machine when I clean it off. I wouldn't mind a few grease nipples though (probably not necessary).

If you load a lot of pistol rounds on it, keep your eyes open fpr an old 'case kicker.' I bought one of these after reading a test report in a yankee gunzine. I rushed off to the shop and siad order me one in pronto! Old John King just smiled and took one down from the shelf. I didn't like it at first and put it away and pulled it oout a few years later. It is excellent on short pistol cases and really speeds up the process.

Edward429451
03-19-2006, 11:24 AM
50 bucks is the going rate for all the used RC;s I've seen so you did good.

Mines from the early 80's and never even hinted at a problem. Wish I couls find another RC for 50 bucks...

carpetman
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I was at a garage sale several years ago and was leaving when I happened to spot some green boxes on a table with clothes. It was RCBS stuff---cant remember what all but there were some dies(I think 2 sets),a powder trickler,primer feed tube attachment kit,reloading blocks and it was $7. It was all stacked and tied in a bundle. I was paying for it and noticed on top of the bundle were the instructions for a Rockchucker. I mentioned to the GUY(don't want folks thinking I took advantage of a widder) that he must have already sold the press. He said I forgot to bring it,it is at my house(he had stuff in his friends garage sale at friends house). He said he only lived couple of blocks away and would have his wife bring it if she could find it. I asked how much? He said I'll just throw it in. Shortly she arrived with the press and I was a happy camper.

versifier
03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Nice pluck, Nelson!
Not only a good deal, but, in my completely biased opinion, the best single stage press made. Mine is well over 30 years old, with several hundred thousand rounds through it, and I'm about to do 40 more on it this afternoon. It's up to right around freezing in the shop for the first time since late October. :-D

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2006, 01:09 PM
At the Big Reno Gun Show there is a table where the seller specializes in used reloading equipment and moulds. It is always my first stop. Usually there are three or four Rockchuckers priced at $60-70. Not bad, considering new price and RCBS's forever warranty.

Ross
03-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm waiting for a report on the differences for the new RC Supreme with its longer stroke. Its appearance has tempered the enthusiasm for the older ones just a little.
Ross

ovendoctor
04-08-2006, 09:05 PM
bough my rockchucker press in mesa az. 1979 vintage
been married 27 years both going strong:-D

:castmine:

AZBronco
09-21-2017, 09:59 PM
bought one in 1968, new. Got my 2nd one at a storage unit sale ..lent my 2-wheel dolly to a gent, so he could move the contents of a unit [minus the RC press] he won at the auction.About 1982....Both are in good order today 2017!!

Ozark Howler
09-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Great press, yours is from the RCBS days when they produced strong quality presses...

KenT7021
09-22-2017, 06:08 PM
As far as I can tell RCBS still makes a strong quality press.

lightman
09-24-2017, 06:46 PM
As far as I can tell RCBS still makes a strong quality press.

This is true but I would prefer an older one. They make a good solid press. I've had mine since the 70's.

Ickisrulz
09-24-2017, 09:35 PM
This is true but I would prefer an older one. They make a good solid press. I've had mine since the 70's.

I have two Rock Chuckers from the 1970's that I bought "as new" off ebay. I prefer the paint and the proportions on these to the newer ones. But the fact is the Rock Chucker Supreme is better as the opening is larger and the handle can be set up for left handed people. There is some debate on the newer primer catcher though.

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2017, 10:12 PM
I dusted my old Rockchucker off and re-installed in on the bench last night and got it rocking.

bstone5
09-24-2017, 11:20 PM
My RCBS has been used since 1974 purchased new and have loaded thousands of rounds and have sized tens of thousands of cast bullets. Keep it oiled and clean, it will out last me. The press is cast steel not cast iron found at a gun shop, the only cast steel press they had left.

45workhorse
09-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Mine is from 1977, I bought it used in 1985.:Fire:

3006guns
09-25-2017, 08:15 PM
My original, brand new, 1970 RockChucker went bye-bye when my ex wife left town. After years of using another press I got a used one off Ebone. It was described as in "good condition", but of course the linkages were all loose and it looked like some nitwit had pounded on top of the ram with a ball pein hammer. At least the ram was still a good, sliding fit.

I tore it complete apart and found that it was a 1970 production model....good! The slop in the arms was cured by boring the holes oversize and installing bronze bushings. Oil holes were drilled at all bearing points. I dressed off the worst of the hammer damage to the ram top, then repainted it with the closest green to RCBS that I could find.

The result is a vintage press that looks and acts new, and I've processed thousands of rounds without any problems. You just can't kill those old babies!

Four Fingers of Death
09-26-2017, 01:23 AM
I forgot to mention, I bought mine in a RCBS kit in 1981. It came with a set of scales, a powder measure and dies. The gunshop only had one in 30/30, but they swapped out the dies for a set of RCBS 223 and added a set of 308 dies. The kit has paid for itself many times over and apart from a few paint chips, is like new. I have kept it well lubed and grease the shaft with graphite grease (messy as, I might have to go to a cleaner alternative as I have it set up inside now).

Eddie Southgate
09-29-2017, 11:28 PM
I just plucked one from a local pawn shop for $30 . Needs a nut for the handle but is otherwise in as new condition .

duckear
10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Heck of a deal IMO

Bayou52
10-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Another RC of 1979 vintage. Countless tens of thousands of rounds produced. Still as tight today as it was then. Copious amounts of lubrication, often applied, is the press' best friend....