PDA

View Full Version : Handloader # 261

exile
07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
On page 44 of the Aug. 2009 issue of "Handloader" magazine, Brian Pearce states,

"One of the most common questions I receive is to the effect of : ' What is a good reduced or midrange load for my favorite magnum revolver?' For several reasons that cannot be discussed in detail today, but I always suggest using the magnum case rather than the shorter "special" case, such as the .38 Special case in a .357, .44 Special case in the .44 magnum revolver, .45 Colt in a .454 Casull, etc.,."

Would anyone care to comment on this, or shed any light on what his reasons might be? Thanks.

exile

Ben
07-01-2009, 07:15 AM
The amount ( length ) of " bullet jump" from the end of the case until the bullet can get into the forcing cone of the barrel is reduced with the longer case vs. the shorter case.

dragonrider
07-01-2009, 09:04 AM
This is just me but I use only 357 cases in my GP-100. The diference in case length, 38/357, can cause headaches in cleaning if going to 357 cases after shooting a lot of 38's. If I need 38 velocities I choose a powder that will do it in 357 cases.

Bret4207
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Chamber fouling, bullet jump...those 2 come to mind right off.

HeavyMetal
07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
The difference in case length can make a huge issue if a lot of the shorter case is fired.

Back in the 80's a guy in the club bought a used Model 19 from a retired cop. Not only had the thing only been wiped down with oil on the outside but had never been cleaned.

A quick brush out and he showed up at the range with it to try it out.

fired six rounds 357 125 HP, the "hot tip" at the time and we needed a piece of 2x4 to knock the empties out of it!

Apparently the dept. OK'd carry of the 19 but only allowed 38 special ammo for carry, which was real common back in the day.

This guy shot the snot out of it and we found, after a real through cleaning that the chamber area near the throats was "erroded" and pitted. To deep to polish out and to much to shoot 357 in and get the brass out.

In the end he bought a new cylinder and had a great gun so yes the "warning" about shooting a lot of short case's in a magnum chamber has some merit.

Shuz
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
+ 1 to what Bret said, and I'd add that always using mag cases makes reloading much easier as you are not having to adjust dies for depth of seating,crimping, or if using a progressive, charging powder.

Thumbcocker
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Most of my guns seem to like light loads in magnum length cases. One .44 is less picky but it is the exception.

44man
07-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Boolit jump to the forcing cone means nothing. I have shot loads with the shorter cases that had the same OAL as when loaded in mag brass. The mag brass was always more accurate. I shot .480's in my .475 and never had accuracy to equal .475 brass.
Not withstanding the fouling problem, accuracy just seems to go away with the short brass.
Many of my loads have a LONG run to the forcing cone, yet will out shoot a lot of rifles.

Dale53
07-04-2009, 12:48 AM
When I was shooting PPC at our local club, I had the opportunity to run a LOT of .357 magnums over the course using .38 Specials. Most of the guns shot as well with .38 Special brass as they did .357 brass. However, there was the occasional revolver that would NOT shoot as well with Special brass.

I have fired tons of .38 Specials in my .357's (cases were nearly free and I shot a LOT) with out issue. However, I cleaned my guns from time to time:mrgreen:. However, one thing that might explain my lack of problems with the short cases (severe fouling and pitting under the fouling and throat erosion) is that typically, I shot target loads. If I shot heavy loads they were always with the magnum cases. Shooting a LOT of heavily loaded .38 Special cases may well lead to erosion in .357 magnums.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

hpdrifter
07-04-2009, 02:33 PM
don't need no stinking 38 brass. simplicity. for all the reason stated above + only one type of brass to worry about.

mdi
07-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Fouling can be a problem, but I remove it easily with a bore brush chucked in my drill. I would be more concerned with chamber erosion.

9.3X62AL
07-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Laziness is my problem. Cleaning the chamber fouling out of Magnum cylinders in which Special loads were fired is a PITA. So, I save my Special brass for my Special revolvers--and use Magnum brass in the Magnum rollerpistolas. A loose, general rule is that a given Special load plus about 7%-10% powder weight will just about duplicate the Special ballistics using the Magnum case, all else being equal.

Why Mr. Pearce dodged the issue in print is his business, I suppose.

exile
07-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I considered the idea of damage to the cylinder, but was not sure if I was mistaken or not.

exile