PDA

View Full Version : Sks?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Questions on handloading and casting for an SKS.

Seeing as the SKS could theoretically slam fire, will I have trouble using CCI 200 primers? Should I switch to CCI #34 primers? Or should I replace the firing pin with one of those modified ones I see for sale on Brownells?

Also I would like some mold recommendations. The factory loads generally have a bullet weight in the range of 120+ grains. Is this a good weight to stick with or are there better weights out there?

Lead Fred
06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Leave it just the way it is and use CCI 400 or #34, and you will never have a slam fire

and far as bullet wieght, Im a speed demon, so I go light and fast. Id stick with the 120s.

I personaly do not reload for the x39, I bought 2k rounds a few years back before the crazy pricing came about. If I ever burn threw it all, Ill remove the sight, and bury the rest

2ndAmendmentNut
06-30-2009, 05:06 PM
So are there any primers that are actually sensitive enough to slam fire in a normal SKS?

Ole
06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I've had it happen twice with my Norinco. (in several thousand handloaded rounds fired)

Just point the rifle in a safe direction when you close the bolt.

R.C. Hatter
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I KNOW first hand that slam-fires do happen, as a neighbor of mine had an SKS do that twice on him. The first one put a bullet through a steel door in his shop, through the tailgate, front end of the bed, and the cab of his pickup truck. The bullet was lodged in the truck's radio. The second time, the bullet went who knows where, into the air. I do strongly recommend the CCI # 34 primer be used in unmodified rifles. Even Speer alluded to the possibility, in their #12 Manual citing, lack of a firing pin retractor spring, a high seated primer, or a dirty chamber as possible contributors. Additionally, they recommended the primer be seated .003-005" below flush and that CCI # 34 primer be used because it has military specification sensitivity and can reduce the chance of a slam-fire.

Poygan
06-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack but I've experienced a different problem once with my Chinese SKS. I normally remove the gas piston as it hammers the brass severely upon ejection. I use it as a straight pull bolt. Once, I had a FTF and noticed the bolt wasn't entirely closed. Upon closing the bolt, it fired! Yes, it was pointed in a safe direction but did get my attention. Other than that, I've never had a slam fire with it. Seems the lack of a firing pin spring is often the problem.

Ole
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack but I've experienced a different problem once with my Chinese SKS. I normally remove the gas piston as it hammers the brass severely upon ejection. I use it as a straight pull bolt. Once, I had a FTF and noticed the bolt wasn't entirely closed. Upon closing the bolt, it fired! Yes, it was pointed in a safe direction but did get my attention. Other than that, I've never had a slam fire with it. Seems the lack of a firing pin spring is often the problem.

I would disassemble your bolt assembly and make sure there isn't any hardened cosmoline in there, causing a sticky firing pin.

There isn't enough inertia from a loose firing pin to fire a case if you simply close the bolt from less than an inch.

zomby woof
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I would disassemble your bolt assembly and make sure there isn't any hardened cosmoline in there, causing a sticky firing pin.

There isn't enough inertia from a loose firing pin to fire a case if you simply close the bolt from less than an inch.

I had a slam fire on mine for this reason. Hard goo inside. Take it apart and clean!!! Then load as usual.

JIMinPHX
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Also I would like some mold recommendations. The factory loads generally have a bullet weight in the range of 120+ grains. Is this a good weight to stick with or are there better weights out there?

Most guys shoot C.E. Harris design 155 or 160 grain cast boolits in that caliber. Molds for them can be had from Lee. Other manufacturers have made molds for that design in the past, but I'm not sure what their current availability is. I believe that there is a group buy in the works right now for a mold that throws a lower weight boolit of similar design, but I don't know if it is too late to still get in on that one or not.

Maven
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I owned a Type 56 SKS (purchased NIB) that I used with LBT's version of the C.E. Harris CB, mostly because the Lee & Lyman versions were undersized for my rifle (needed a .314" CB). For almost all of 10 years that I had it, I used Winchester LR primers (standard) and never had so much as a hint of a slam fire. As for CB weights and designs, the C.E. Harris bullet is accurate and easy to cast and load.

JIMinPHX
07-03-2009, 12:30 AM
It looks like the group buy on the 129 grain mold is still open until July 11 -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53739

bingo
07-07-2009, 11:05 PM
2nd A

Like Ole said-clean the entire bolt assembly. SKS has a floating firing pin , no spring. Original cosmo or acumilated dirt will cause pin to stick causing not only slam fires but gun can go full auto(not good). After cleaning bolt assembly and re assem. shake the bolt back and forth. If you hear the pin rattle you are good to go. This procedure is not required after every shooting session, but I do dissasemble gun and clean with special attn. to bolt ass. ,firing pin(blast hith break clean), and gas port(potential leading).

If anybody is interested PM me. At work I have a file on sks sites that has lots of imfo including a very detailed thresd on dissasembly with good pictures including complete breakdown of bolt ass.

Bingo

missionary5155
07-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Good morning
I shoot a Norinco & a Yugo both with the Lee 155. I use just enough 1680 to cycle the bolts reliably thenadded an extra .5 for 100% function. Both shoot OK and I woukld not feel hadicaped to use one on any critter east of the BIG MUDDY.
Slam fires... so far 0 with many reoads down range. That clud thing in the firing pin channel is probably the culprit. I did see a Chicom trigger unit go bezerk once.

trickyasafox
07-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I had one slamfire with my Yugo 59/66 SKS. It was with Wolf ammo. Bent my firing pin but the gun was pointed down range and the worst that happened was me scaring myself silly.

I think it was just a perfect storm of events. I don't blame the ammo or the gun, I think it was just a freak accident.

Skipper
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
You really need to use one of these from Murray's:

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

It's a spring kit, or he'll just sell you the spring if you want to do it yourself.

No more slam fires.

wiljen
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
www.castpics.net has a good article on casting for the SKS.