PDA

View Full Version : .44 mag & 4227

Trifocals
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Some years in the past, I owned a Ruger .44 mag carbine that would not produce better than 3" - 4" 100yd groups, in spite of all the "accurizing" tweaks I tried. In desperation, I sent the barreled action to a noted gunsmith to have the rifling lead taper reamed. After that tweak the rifle acted more like it wanted to shoot. At that time I had a huge assortment of .44 "J" bullets I had purchased from a shooter who needed college money. I was also fortunate to have a wide assortment of powders suitable for the .44 mag.. Without going into a lengthy, boring dissertation, I tried many different powder/bullet combinations. One powder always seemed to stand out accuracy wise, 4227. I finally settled on a 4227 load that gave minute of angle groups, consistently. Several years ago I began loading for several .44 mag. revolvers with the same results. 4227 powder produced better groups. I have never chronographed any of my loads. By the books my velocities with 4227 are probably slower that loads with 110 or 296 powders, but does a critter know that? Recently I've been reading that Hodgdon's Li'l Gun powder is outstanding in the .44 mag. I have some on hand, but as yet haven't tried it. Have any of you .44 mag fans tried Li'l Gun in the .44 mag., and if so what are your findings?

blaser.306
06-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I used lil gun in my Dan wesson 10" silouette gun IIRC I was loading 24 gr behind a 240 gr (you know) "j" bullet . The accuracy was good from what I could stand shooting them and left a real strong impretion on the sillouetes and by-standers at the range , even my spotter got up and relocated further south , the recoil and muzzle blast are fierce ( in my opinion anyway ) But definately shoots and hits hard ! Barclay.

AlaskaMike
06-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I love the accuracy I have in my Rossi 92 in .44 mag using IMR4227 loads. It definitely doesn't give the velocity that H110/296 gives, but inside of 100 yards no animal you shoot will know the difference.

For me and my Rossi, Lil' Gun is proving to give the same accuracy as 4227, but much higher velocities--in the same class as H110/296. I'd definitely give it a try.

Mike