PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Moly lube

stillwell
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
My Lyman casting kit came with moly lube. i have not had any leading problems in my 357. but i do get some funny looks from the smoke. is this lube ok?? I dont like the idea of having to clean out my 4500 sizer/luber.

epj
06-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I suppose that stuff is pretty good bullet lube, as far as preventing leading goes. HOWEVER, it makes the awfulest mess of any lube I have ever tried. I've run several sticks of different lube through the 4500 since using that stuff, and I still get ocassional black specks of the moly that was stuck in a corner somewhere. I have since used Lars BAC with good results and am now using the Carnuba Red which I like even better. The Red does require a bit of heat, the BAC does not.

stillwell
06-30-2009, 12:09 PM
is there any good way to get it out??? i dont have any other lube right now, but would not to opposed making some. from what i read it doesnt sound to hard to make.

leftiye
06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Go ahead and use it. It's good stuff, though there may be some that are a little better. A heat gunon the sizer with the die remover, and it should all run out the bottom.

Leadforbrains
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I used a stick of the Lyman moly lube and it has worked out for me ok. I recently ordered some BAC from Lars and put it in behind the lyman moly. Im getting some different colors on my lube grooves, but I don't care as long as my boolits shoot ok.

Cowboy5780
06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
stillwell the way i clean my luber is to take out the punch and die and lay it on the side and take a heat gun and direct it in the fill hole and thru the hole for the die will get most of the lube out and is the easiest way ive found.

cajun shooter
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Heat Gun and they are on sale at Harbour Freight for $10 1/2 price

joeb33050
07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
My Lyman casting kit came with moly lube. i have not had any leading problems in my 357. but i do get some funny looks from the smoke. is this lube ok?? I dont like the idea of having to clean out my 4500 sizer/luber.
I cleaned out my Lyman 450 as follows. Took off everything that would come off. Put the body and dies in a pan with newspaper on the bottom. Put the pan in the oven, heated to <200 degrees F.
Wiped everything down. It took a while to heat up, but everything cleaned up really easy.
Now I have Lyman Super Moly in it, and it's working fine.
joe b.