PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dillon 550B and Unique

mugsie
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Aughhhh! What a terrible combination! Last night I was loading some 44mag with Lyman 421429 250g LSWC's over 9.8g of Unique. For some reason, every time I would drop a charge, I would end up with grains all over the place. Now my Dillon doesn't like Unique in the first place because of the structure, but tonight was especially frustrating. It seems as though one charge would drop ok, then the next, when the powder funnel was raised out of the case, when it was about 3/4 inch up it would drop several grains of powder. This seemed to happen on every other charge. I ended up placing a paper under it, catching the spillage, and pouring it back into the case. I stopped after 50 rounds and will take the powder tube apart tonight to see if anything found it's way inside to screw it up.

Ball powders meter like a dream - Unique like a nightmare. Any suggestions people?

Thanks....

Rockchucker
06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
I use the 550b with 38's,357's 9mm, 40's, using unique and don't have the problem you describe. I would take the powder die out and inspect the funnel and clean it. If that doesn't clear up your problem I'd call Dillon up, Great folks on the phone.

Dan Cash
06-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I use the 550b with 38's,357's 9mm, 40's, using unique and don't have the problem you describe. I would take the powder die out and inspect the funnel and clean it. If that doesn't clear up your problem I'd call Dillon up, Great folks on the phone.

+1 on Rockchucker. Degrease the powder funnel. If that does not cure the problem, call Dillon.

By the way, is your canister of Unique a bit clumpy? I have found some made in the last year tends to be so and have repulverized the stuff. It flows OK for me but moisture might be a problem here.
Dan

JDL
06-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I've been loading 5 grains of Unique in .38 Special on my 550B and every charge I've weighed has been exactly that with no mess at all. I agree with the other 2 posters, Dillon will walk you through it.
JDL

Sprue
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Unique is and has been my primary power for a long time.

I had that same problem with Unique back in the winter but now I don't remember what I did to correct it. I do remember fooling with the powder funnel and die though. I'm sure it was nothing more than cleaning and tweaking.

But yeah, if no resolve, call the experts.

fredj338
06-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree w/ the guys. Make sure you have the right powder funnel. Makes sure it is free of any oils. Look over the funnel for any burrs & remove them w/ some 400g sandpaper. Adjust the powder return bar so that it is snug when at the bottom of the stroke. Keep the measure at least half full. I reload a lot of Unique in my 550B & have very few issues w/ it.

AZ-Stew
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Be sure the sliding bar on the measure moves freely. Often, a kernel or two of powder will get between the sliding bar and the "tunnel" it runs through, making the slide stick. On one of my earlier powder measures I had to put a piece of shim stock either on top of or below (don't remember) the slide to tighten up the tolerances and keep the powder out from between the parts. You might also want to put some moly powder or graphite on these parts to help them slide.

Regards,

Stew

CJR
06-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Awhile back, I had a similar problem with Unique & my 550B. Called Dillon and they replaced the powder measure. Excellent service!!!

Best regards,

CJR

mugsie
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Called the folks at Dillon and they had several suggestions, basically - clean the darn thing! I took the powder measure apart, and scoured it out with alcohol like they recommended. Put is all back together and it meters better than it ever has! Meters like ball powder with nary a wafer spilled.

I had used Unique for years and always had the problem so I though it was kind of normal. Last night was too much though. One phone call and I'm back on the straight and narrow.

Just wanted to close the loop. Thanks for all your responses.

I love this site!
:drinks:

Shiloh
06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Glad to here it!!

Had to be a reason. Mine has worked flawlessly for years. When there is a problem, an inspection and cleaning usually fixes it. Dillon has an outstanding Customer Service Dept.
Treated me VERY well for almost 20 years!!

Shiloh

outdoorfan
06-30-2009, 07:38 PM
My RCBS powder thower that I got in the Rockchucker kit meters Unique like crap. + or - .2 grains is about what it will do. So, that's literally a .4-.5 swing from highs to lows. I'll take it apart and clean it. Maybe it'll do better.

hedgehorn
06-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I use the 550b with unique and I also havent had any issues at all.

hedgehorn
06-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I should also add I use the lee pro disk measures with the 550b and they work well with ball type powders and much cheaper ;)