PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load Master anyone use one?

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 01:34 AM
I have looked at the Dillon Square Deal along with others and looked at the Lee Load Master online so no personal usage. So I am looking for thoughts on this Press?

I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and like it. :)

S.R.Custom
06-30-2009, 01:46 AM
The primer mechanism is really bad. You'll be sizing and priming separately before very long.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Thank You Mag I did find a web site with information on it from people that really like it. But after watching a few vids of there way I think maybe I will stick with my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press lol. As the Lee Load Master with all the things one needs to do did not seem any faster or better lol.

dragonrider
06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I hate to keep repeating myself , but I had a loadmaster, IMO it is junk. I don't have a classic cast, with ten presses I hardly need one, but it is on my list of wants.

richbug
06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
The loadmaster can be a very good press, and will load very quickly. Much like Lee molds, it will need some tweaking. I have days where I load 1000's of rounds without missing a beat. There are also days where I want to throw it in a lake( usually amounts to an adjustment issue).

NOT a press for a novice. Good press for an engineer or tool maker.

Doble Troble
06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
The Load Master and it's priming system aren't fool proof. Some parts are better off after some "Leementing". If you have the patience and some mechanical skill these can be very reliable and productive presses.

There are three major features of the priming system that need attention: 1) the seating depth requires careful setting; 2) the primer slider must be able to move smoothly - removing burrs and keeping things clean helps here; 3) If a primer doesn't seat its usually because the case didn't get deprimed. Berdan primed cases are a PITA and will really foul things up; 4) Once things are fouled-up its important not to ignore the signs. At the first sign of trouble you need to stop and fix the problem. If you don't you'll break plastic parts (that thankfully are designed to fail before more expensive parts do).

From what I read more expensive presses don't seem to require as much attention. I don't know because I've never used them. All I do know is that the Load Master will work very well as long as you watch out for common problems. Stocking parts that commonly fail can eliminate down time.

Information from this website has been very helpful to me: http://loadmastervideos.com/

mag44uk
06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I had one for many years. Had to keep it and use it having saved for a long time. Only loaded pistol carts on it. As has been said the primer system is crap. The other thing that wound me up was the case slider. It would work flawlessly for months then just be a complete cow! Tried all sorts of lube and even made my own slider out of metal.
Ended up using the press to bulk decap/size,then hand prime away from the press,then load on the press. When it worked it was quick,but I spent alot of time fiddling with it.
Not familiar with the SD but it could only be better than a loadmaster!
I now have the Hornady LNL progressive and its a much better machine.
Tony

zomby woof
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
The Load Master and it's priming system aren't fool proof. Some parts are better off after some "Leementing". If you have the patience and some mechanical skill these can be very reliable and productive presses.

There are three major features of the priming system that need attention: 1) the seating depth requires careful setting; 2) the primer slider must be able to move smoothly - removing burrs and keeping things clean helps here; 3) If a primer doesn't seat its usually because the case didn't get deprimed. Berdan primed cases are a PITA and will really foul things up; 4) Once things are fouled-up its important not to ignore the signs. At the first sign of trouble you need to stop and fix the problem. If you don't you'll break plastic parts (that thankfully are designed to fail before more expensive parts do).

From what I read more expensive presses don't seem to require as much attention. I don't know because I've never used them. All I do know is that the Load Master will work very well as long as you watch out for common problems. Stocking parts that commonly fail can eliminate down time.

Information from this website has been very helpful to me: http://loadmastervideos.com/

These are my results exactly. Well said.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Thank You Everyone for all of the great info. But I would like things to be as trouble free as I can get them lol.

And to be honest I will only set the machine up for maybe two rounds. .357 Mag and .45 ACP.

So I guess maybe I should save up for a Dillon or LNL. And run with it lol.

zomby woof
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
The easiest round to load is the .45 acp on my Loadmaster.

gefiltephish
06-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I also have a loadmaster. ANYTHING else would be a better choice. I just got a bunch of LNL bushings for my rockchucker. It may be slow, but so much less frustrating and a whole lot more accurate.

zomby woof
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
http://loadmastervideos.com/

I was just on this site and did the indexer fix. Wow This gut is a genius!! It smoothed my press right out.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I have to agree there are people there that know the LEE Loadmaster. :)

Jerry11826
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I really like my Load Master - Think it the best thing going - no real problems - In fact I like it so much I am trying to sell all my Dillon equipment that I never use anymore - have an SDB - if you are interested send me a PM.

Jerry

Firebricker
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Not trying to bash Lee but the load master is not a good example of their products. Like said
above the priming system is junk. The plastic primer slide pieces are a pain. I thought about
having one machined out of aluminum. Lee will replace them for free buts stopping to change
them. The auto case feed takes a lot of setup and adjusting but I kinda of enjoyed that once
you get it right it works well. When the auto index started messing up that was it for me. It
just seemed like I spent more time messing with it than reloading. The store I bought mine from used to keep three or four in stock now they stock Hornadys. FB

JesterGrin_1
07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I really like my Load Master - Think it the best thing going - no real problems - In fact I like it so much I am trying to sell all my Dillon equipment that I never use anymore - have an SDB - if you are interested send me a PM.

Jerry

Sent you a pm :)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Save your money for a Hornady LnL AP with EZject. Right now, it's the best bang for the buck of the "next step up" to a progressive from your Lee Classic Cast Turret press. But be aware, ALL progressives will need to be setup and adjusted correctly from the start to run well, no matter which brand, as they are semi automated machines with several operations going on at once.

Regards,

Dave

Recluse
07-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I generally like most of Lee's products and have quite a bit of "red" on my bench.

But a Loadmaster will never, ever sit on my bench, nor will I ever recommend one to anyone. There is simply ZERO reason for a machine to be that finicky, that trouble-prone and that unreliable straight out of the box. No excuse whatsoever.

What's more, Lee has had HOW many years to correct so much of this?

The Loadmaster is Lee's "Edsel and Corvair."

:coffee:

Jerry11826
07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Recluse - How many Load Masters have you owned - I like mine - no problems at all - want to buy some used Dillon equipment at 50% of the current retail - send me a PM

Jerry

Doc_Stihl
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Lee Pro 1000 reliably loads 45ACP and 38's.
I love mine. You gotta listen to it and work with it for a while before things work right. Then you gotta REALLY pay attention whenever it starts to complain, or it'll become a PIA.

Remind you of anything?

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I had a loadmaster and the only thing i could think of thats worse is a pro 1000. Sorry but i wouldnt give you 5 bucks for the pair of them. Save your money for something better. Best bet in a press for most loaders is a 550 dillon. There a good reliable press and although some dont like the fact that there a manual indexing press to me thats just something else that wont go wrong. Ive loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on 550s square deals and some on 650s and 1050s. There all good presses. the square deals can be a little finiky but nothing like a lee. I have two lock and load aps set up now and am impressed with them too. Bottom line is for what a loadmaster goes for you can almost buy a used 550 and with dillons lifetime gurantee theres no consern about buying something a little worn.

DLCTEX
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I have 2 Loadmasters and did put in a lot of time making them work. The biggest problem was the primer system. I had to smooth the plastic trough and had to learn to add a little graphite and never let the primers run low. I had 2 Pro 1000s before these and never could get them to perform. I do load only pistol calibers and leave them set up for the designated caliber. One fix I did was to put the pull back chain on the powder measure to help prevent double charges as a slight bobble on the ram stroke could double in a hurry. I have the case feeders, bullet feeders, and case collaters which also had learning curves. Keep it clean and lube every time and it works well.

shotman
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I will add to the list I have one too about 20 years was about the first ones to come out . Have many of the problems as said . You need to be a little mechanicaly inclined to have one. I agree that Lee has not fixed the problems . I called after I got mine and told them ways to fix some issues. They have never done anything. It is NOT a rifle press. The bullet feed sucks with cast. You have to have Lee dies for bullet feed to work. I did find that silicon spray is only thing that will work on case feeder. You cant use dirty brass or everything will fail at once.
One good thing its CHEAP and is easy to chang calibers

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
anyone else here the rummor that lee is suppose to be comming out with something new?

watkibe
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I am a loyal long time Lee customer and supporter. I have had excellent experiences with almost every product while getting the best value.
BUT...the Load Master is the exception. When it works perfectly, it's great, but it takes forever to get it set up so it does work perfectly; and then when something runs out or gets loose, it's time to get it all set back up again so it works. I only use it when I want hundreds of a load, shorter runs aren't worth the time and trouble. The worst part is anything to do with primers and priming. I no longer use it for 357, because that would mean changing to the small primer parts. I just leave it on large primer, and only load 41 and 44.
In all honesty, I could be part of the problem, and this product may be a victim of its own success. What I mean is that when it is working right, it is really easy to just want to keep pulling the handle and breeze along turning out a cartridge with every pull...but getting lulled into a false sense of security and no longer watching every operation and every step and every cartridge. It is really unforgiving of any lapse of attention. First thing you know, something goes wrong, and its back to adjusting. Clearing mistakes is hard to do. Even catching mistakes can be hard to do; I have double charged cases with this press, and ended up firing one or two.
I wish I had gotten their turret press...

largecaliberman
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I have looked at the Dillon Square Deal along with others and looked at the Lee Load Master online so no personal usage. So I am looking for thoughts on this Press?

I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and like it. :)

I have a Lee Loadmaster and the priming mechanism is really bad. Tipped primers, backwards, jammed, etc. I also heard that this is a common amongst most progressive reloaders.

What I do is first deprime using the press then use a hand operated primer. After that, feed the primed cases into the machine (remember to remove the depriming pin) and do the rest of the operation from there.

Good luck.

Jerry11826
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I have two Loadmasters - I really like them. And yes - I started progressive reloading in 1984 with a Dillon 450, ultimately owned three Dillons - 450, 550 and SDB.

I think the Loadmaster is a much better reloading tool. Not just better for the money, It's just better, period.

I post on several forums and have tried to be an evangelist for the Loadmaster. Have come to realize that doesn't work. Many Dillon owners, probably most, are so fanatically brand loyal they will not rationally consider any other reloading alternative.

The Loadmaster will produce the same quality ammunition as any Dillon tool, up to and including the 650 with a case feeder, faster and at lower cost.

I kind of think that many of the people that complain about the Loadmaster have never used one or are not smart enought to use one.

I will put my "money where my mouth is". If you would like to purcase my used Dillon equipment at 50% of current retail, send me a PM.

Keep 'em in the X ring,

Jerry

richbug
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I post on several forums and have tried to be an evangelist for the Loadmaster.

I kind of think that many of the people that complain about the Loadmaster have never used one or are not smart enought to use one.

IJerry

Amen brother

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2009, 10:14 PM
either that or the guys that like them just dont load enough to really appreciate a good press.

Rick459
07-16-2009, 12:52 AM
I have two Loadmasters - I really like them. And yes - I started progressive reloading in 1984 with a Dillon 450, ultimately owned three Dillons - 450, 550 and SDB.

I think the Loadmaster is a much better reloading tool. Not just better for the money, It's just better, period.

I post on several forums and have tried to be an evangelist for the Loadmaster. Have come to realize that doesn't work. Many Dillon owners, probably most, are so fanatically brand loyal they will not rationally consider any other reloading alternative.

The Loadmaster will produce the same quality ammunition as any Dillon tool, up to and including the 650 with a case feeder, faster and at lower cost.

I will put my "money where my mouth is". If you would like to purcase my used Dillon equipment at 50% of current retail, send me a PM.

Keep 'em in the X ring,

Jerry

Jerry, you must be smoking Dope!! i owned two LM"s i now have a LNL

Rick

shotman
07-16-2009, 03:42 AM
The loadmaster is not for the mechanicaly challanged. I have had one since they first came out. Its sets beside a dillon 650. I have worked on it and reworked some things. I like it and use it more than the dillon. Very quick to change cals. I can change in 5 min try that with a dillon. I have the lee set up for 9 cals . Cost about $30 each. Try that with a dillon
Case feed on a lee $40 . Case feed on a dillon $400
nuff said

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2009, 07:15 AM
All i know is ive owned them all and my most recent presses are 3 lock and load progressives and in the last week ive loaded about 3000 rounds on them without a burb of any kind. I dont think ive loaded a 100 rounds on a lee without having to diddle with something on it. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. I can understand some people arent into this hobby as much as me and some just dont have the money to spend on really good equiptment and theres nothing wrong with that. Just dont think for a minute that a 250 dollar set up is as good as a 600 dollar setup. If it was dillon and hornady would be out of bussiness in a year. I use some lee stuff too. I like there dies and there primer tool and a few other things. Even there single stage and turent presses are a good bang for the buck but you couldnt give me another loadmaster or pro1000. Just admitting you have to be mechanicaly inclined to run one is enough of an admittion that there junk for me.

redneckdan
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
If you want to just sit down and start shucking cases, if reloading for you is more of finding the most efficient way to put the bang back into empty brass than by all means a dillion is the best bet for you.

If you are a tinkering type at heart, live on a tighter budget or just plain enjoy the technical parts of reloading then a Lee wouldn't be all that bad of a choice. They do require some maintenance and tweaking to get them to work right. I've found that 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' definitely applies, jerky or irregular ram actuation will cause problems. I've helped tool up three or four of them and never had one that wouldn't run. The worst I've ever encountered was a load master that required some grinding on the threaded piece that the cases feed through.

I do commercial reloading, dillions are good machines. But not everyone drinks the cool aid. I have found that like glocks, there are lots of fan boys among dillion owners/enthusiasts....but there are also knowledge people that know a thing or two. I use them when I need to make lots of rounds right now.

JesterGrin_1
07-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Thank You so much for all of the great information. But it looks like I will just wait and save up for a Hornady LNL. As I have done some searching along with this great forum to find there is a lot of information on how to fix this or that and how to keep the Lee running correctly. But even though yes I am mechanically inclined I really do not wish to fiddle with a press just to make it work when it should work correctly after being set up for any said caliber. As there are enough things to worry about and keep track of other than have to worry if the press will work correctly.

I will say I am glad a few people like the Lee Loadmaster and can make them work and are willing to work with there problems as they arise. But I have enough things to work on lol.

mtgrs737
07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I like the Dillon 550b so much I plan on getting a second one so I can have one set up for large and small primmers. Switching out the pimmer sizes is about the only thing I don't like about the 550b, but then again I am Lazy!

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
loaded 2000 rounds of 45acp today on one of my lnls without a hicup other then running into a couple pieces of the brass with small pockets. How many that use lees can say theyve done that many in one setting without trouble.

Recluse
07-17-2009, 12:26 AM
loaded 2000 rounds of 45acp today on one of my lnls without a hicup other then running into a couple pieces of the brass with small pockets. How many that use lees can say theyve done that many in one setting without trouble.

Reckon I can, and with a Pro1000 of all things. Back in my competition days, I used to load and shoot ungodly amounts of .38 Special 158RN. Sitting down on a Friday evening and loading up 1000 rounds to shoot that weekend was routine. A month or better before a regional or national match, loading two and three times that many was just what you did.

Now, I bought that Pro1000 back when I was a poor and starving young federal lawman and couldn't afford a Dillon--so I had to make do. And make do I did. I did my more than fair share of cussing that press.

Nowadays, twenty something years later, it runs like a sewing machine but it took me learning every single possible thing I could about it. I can crank out as much .38 Special ammo and be trouble-free as I ever could with my Dillon 550. (However, I can NOT say that when I convert it to 9mm or .380ACP--I still have occasional and annoying problems. But most loading with that press is .38 special.)

Would I buy another Pro1000 today?

No way in hell.

I have MORE than gotten my money's worth from it and the carboard and paper and steel targets had no idea what kind of machine loaded the ammo that shot them.

I like tinkering, but not with equipment. I like tinkering with loads and guns and combinations thereof.

Honestly, however, having owned Lee, RCBS and Dillon presses, I will argue that you get MORE than what you pay for with Lee presses. And, their Classic Cast single stage simply cannot be beat. The Classic Turret is in the same category. With a lot of Lee equipment, you get a helluva lot of utility and value for very little money.

Likewise, I'll never be convinced that the Dillon 550 was worth what I paid for it. Nor will the 650 I'm looking into be worth the selling price. I feel the same way about certain brands of automobiles, boats and airplanes, too. But if it's what you WANT, then price is just part of what you agree to deal with.

The (Dillon) 550 was just about bullet-proof, and the 650 will flat crank out the ammo--but no way are they worth what Dillon sells them for. But then again, neither is the new car I bought my wife this past Christmas.

It all comes down to what you want.

:coffee:

RP
07-17-2009, 12:47 AM
If any of you guys have a lee 3 hole turret and want to change it to a 4 hole (up date) I have the parts to do it. I like the three hole the way i reload dont need a extra die PM me

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
The only two metallic cartridge presses left on my bench are a Hornady LnL and a Lee Classic Cast Iron single stage.

Here are presses I've either owned or loaded on regularly, but note they all lost out to the two presses above over time:

1. Lee Classic Turret (Note: If I didn't already own the Hornady, this press would have stayed on my bench.)
2. RCBS partner press
3. Dillon 550
4. Dillon 650
5. Lee Pro 1000
6. Lee Load Master
7. Lyman Turret press
8. RCBS Rock Chucker

Why were the criteria I used to keep, get rid of or pass over presses I'm familiar with?

1. Rugged reliability over time (need for parts/repairs)
2. Powder measure performance (in the case of the progressives)
3. Run out of the cartridges made (In the case of the progressives)
4. Primer disposal/cleanliness of the press
5. Simplicity of adjustments
6. Adjustments holding their settings
7. Primer feed reliability (In the case of the progressives)
8. Value received for dollar spent
9. Primer feed system - adjustment/installing/changing (progressives)
10. Continuous improvement of the press by the company selling it

That's the list I use to keep/sell a press on my bench. If the press doesn't fill a niche/meet a need of mine or if I've found a better brand, I'll sell the one on my bench and replace it with the new press.

So far, in ten years, nothing has beaten the Hornady when I've taken into account everything on my list. Nothing, no matter what the price. If something does, I'll put it on the bench and remove the Hornady. But at the present, I'm about to add a casefeeder to it. Not because I need it, but because I want a new toy! Grin

Regards,

Dave

kostner
08-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Have had as many as three Lee press on the bench at one time. Two turrent with auto indexing have severed me well for twenty years. Had a Pro 1000 for years too and it was the fastest press I've ever had. But you must keep an eye on it and the priming is the weakest in the industry. Due to my age I've sold it TOO fast for old eyes. Have two Dillon Square Deals and they are almost fool proof. Have friends that swear by their Loadmasters but its not a beginners machine. To be a good and happy reloader you have to enjoy fiddling with the machines from time to time. Good luck and enjoy the ride, Jim