PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lee Pro Auto-Disk. Need to dump more powder.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 01:20 AM
I have the double disk kit and have mounted two disk's that are 1.57 above each other and I can only get 44.5Gr of H-322 from that combo. And from the information that comes with the Powder Measure it looks like that is as large a hole as they make. So what is one to do? Do you drill one out and correct the size with the other disk to get what you need?

I am looking to drop 52.0 to 54.0Gr of H-322. Any Help would be GREAT.

Missoulaz28
06-30-2009, 04:37 AM
I would try to get a dump of half of what you want and double stroke it. Just be careful to double check everything.

lead-1
06-30-2009, 06:15 AM
I read an artical about a guy that took one of the discs and drilled the hole out to a little bigger to drop more than he would need. He then drilled a hole in the side of the disc and tapped it, he then threaded in a 1/2 inch long 1/4"x 28 set screw. He could then screw the set screw in or out to adjust his powder charge heavier or lighter, the amount of screw in the hole would take up more or less space thus adjusting the powder charge. I am going to try this method if I do anymore .223 rounds on my LEE turret press. I currently have a LEE adjustable charge bar that I filed the opening a little bigger then adjusted it down a little to get what I wanted but it is maxed out as far as I am concerned so I am going to try the thread and tap method

gds
06-30-2009, 06:56 AM
If you are using it on a progressive press, just get the lee perfect powder measure. With the universal charging die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=540522

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=652922

If using it on a turret or single stage, you can still attach the perfect powder measure to the rifle charge die and just have to actuate the powder drop by hand. But if using it on a single stage you might as well attach it to the bench and use it that way.

Jon
06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Lee makes an adjustable one.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/powhan1.html

Adjustable Charge Bar

Infinitely adjustable between .28 and 1.6 cc. Lifetime nylon with solid brass, zero backlash micrometer. Easy to set.

Lee Adjustable Charge Bar90792 9.98

TAWILDCATT
06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
jon: hes using two 1.57 holes allready.I would ream out a hole.I have so many spares it would be good to do.cant be bigger than the measures dump hole.0
:coffee: [smilie=1: :Fire:

markinalpine
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
...is pretty responsive. Have you called or e-mailed them?

Good luck,
Mark :coffee:

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I would try to get a dump of half of what you want and double stroke it. Just be careful to double check everything.

I just got off the phone with LEE and guess what lol. They also told me to double dump the powder charge. So you were right on with this one.

And since you are new welcome to the MADD HOUSE lol.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Lee makes an adjustable one.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/powhan1.html

Adjustable Charge Bar

Infinitely adjustable between .28 and 1.6 cc. Lifetime nylon with solid brass, zero backlash micrometer. Easy to set.

Lee Adjustable Charge Bar90792 9.98

I do have the Adjustable Lee Charge bar and did try this but as said it only goes to 1.6.

But thank you for the thought.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I read an artical about a guy that took one of the discs and drilled the hole out to a little bigger to drop more than he would need. He then drilled a hole in the side of the disc and tapped it, he then threaded in a 1/2 inch long 1/4"x 28 set screw. He could then screw the set screw in or out to adjust his powder charge heavier or lighter, the amount of screw in the hole would take up more or less space thus adjusting the powder charge. I am going to try this method if I do anymore .223 rounds on my LEE turret press. I currently have a LEE adjustable charge bar that I filed the opening a little bigger then adjusted it down a little to get what I wanted but it is maxed out as far as I am concerned so I am going to try the thread and tap method

I have not done this as of yet but as said in the other post of mine LEE did tell me to just figure out half of what is needed and double stroke the charge to get what you need. I think this would be so much easier to do.

And going out on a limb here if you do put a bolt through to change the powder setting you may get some powder that will not drop due to the bolt being in there.

compass will
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
I just went with the Lee Perfect powder measure. it was not much more then the double disk kit if I recall :).

It really works well. I read about people having "leaks" but I never had the problem.

I don't trust myself with a "double pump". I will keep 2nd guessing myself "was that one or 2 dumps?"

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Well since these loads are for the 45-70 with 52.OGr of H-322 it is easy to take a look see as I am loading. :)

Heavy lead
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I have several Lee Pro Auto Disk measures and have one set up with a double disk kit, but only throw ball for 223 and 22-250 (yes I can get 39.5 grains of H380 for my preferred 22-250 load). Looking at the double disk kit I don't think it would be much of a stretch to make your own triple disk kit. Seems like two new outside risers and longer bolts would do the trick right nicely. I like these powder measures, always have worked well for me.

JesterGrin_1
06-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Heavy I have to admit I sure thought about 3 of them. But then that opens the door to 4 or 6 or 10 and hey then we can load Black Powder in the 45-120 case :).

But really I am sure thinking about 3 disks. :)

I have found them to work great. But as others have said when I use W-296 it really does not contain the powder all that well.

lead-1
06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I have not done this as of yet but as said in the other post of mine LEE did tell me to just figure out half of what is needed and double stroke the charge to get what you need. I think this would be so much easier to do.

And going out on a limb here if you do put a bolt through to change the powder setting you may get some powder that will not drop due to the bolt being in there.

I would guess that anything on top of the bolt would fall off when the measure comes to a stop at the top of the stroke, there should be a sufficiant snap to shake the grains loose. Plus the LEE measure advertises that there in a jerk when the ram is lowered and the expander is pulled from the brass that shakes any stuck powder from the measure, that should also work anything from the bolt.

JesterGrin_1
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Give it a try nothing really to loose and only to gain if it works. :)

JesterGrin_1
07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I have several Lee Pro Auto Disk measures and have one set up with a double disk kit, but only throw ball for 223 and 22-250 (yes I can get 39.5 grains of H380 for my preferred 22-250 load). Looking at the double disk kit I don't think it would be much of a stretch to make your own triple disk kit. Seems like two new outside risers and longer bolts would do the trick right nicely. I like these powder measures, always have worked well for me.

hey Heavy I think I am going to take a shot to make it a Triple Disk Kit lol. I put it together with three Disks and longer screws but since there are only two screws that hold the darn thing together you need those two side plates to keep it square. It will work without them but you have to really adjust the screws kinda loose for it to function correctly and not spill powder lol.

So right now I am thinking of a way to make two new sideplates with the correct crush to hold the Disks correctly and function.

And if I do take the time to do this I may make an extra set or two of the new size sideplates just incase someone here would like to do the same. :)

markinalpine
07-03-2009, 12:14 AM
...are giving you 44.5 gr of H322, then you need about 3.669+ cc of that particular batch of powder to provide 52 gr, (1.57cc X 2 =3.14cc, 44.5 gr / 3.14 cc = 0.07056, 0.07056 X 52 gr = 3.669) and 3.81 cc to get 54 gr.

Sorry to bore you with all that math, but this is the VMD ( Volume Measure Density ) method described in the Lee manual.

To get the volume needed to double stroke, halve the above volumes.

Good luck, and have fun.

Mark

abunaitoo
07-03-2009, 06:12 AM
I've had to do it once.
Modified a double disc riser so they would stack.
Installed longer screws.
Stacked the three disc and taped them together with masking tape.
Worked OK.