PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chucker tear down and rebuild

Newfoundlander2
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning an RCBS RCII that has received some questionable maintenance over the past few years. A previous owner "lubricated" the ram with Beeswax & Alox 50/50 and applied what looks to be a graphite infused grease on the link pins. I've degreased the ram and had at it with a jeweler's rouge infused polish (Maas) and applied my snake oil of choice (Singer sewing machine oil) as a lubricant. I usually use white lithium grease for toggle link pins but was wondering if anybody else out there has a preference for this application.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Hi, Beeswax and/or 50/50 bullet lube are not good lubricants for reloading presses; if for no other reason those products don't have the viscosity to lubricate moving parts. They would also be of little use at colder temperatures. I too use white lithium grease, which also makes a good case sizing lubricant. a very little goes a long way. A small tube does thousands and thousands of cases. Another product I use on my presses is 3-in-one-oil; sewing machine oil will also work but it is "lighter" or thinner than the 3-in-1. I keep all the rams and pins/moving surfaces constantly coated and running smoothly. I'm a believer in the adage that oil is cheaper than metal and also that rust is not a good thing. Graphite is not much of a rust inhibiter. It works great in very tight mechanisms like locks and doesn't coagulate or freeze, but unless nothing else is available it isn't my first choice. Its a good "dry" lube for case necks to prevent the neck expander from "screeching" and wearing and a little goes a long ways too. I've had some of my presses for a long time and used them a great deal; they are holding up very well as I have kept them well maintained. LLS

Dale53
06-30-2009, 01:18 AM
The best oil I have found for general gun lube AND general lube on my reloading presses is Dexron II or III transmission fluid. This is a superior lube (very complex, non congealing, with terrific rust preventative value and great lubricating values - MUCH better than typical gun oils). It was developed in WW II as a synthetic sperm oil (harvesting of whales for sperm oil was curtailed by U-boat activity) for instrument use. It is inexpensive and works beautifully. Here is pretty much the whole story on practical lubes:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Dale53

1hole
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Ditto to the ATF as an excellant gun/general purpose, non-gumming light oil.

For heavier needs, I mix it with Mobil 1.

All any press needs is a bit of most anything to keep it wetted, it's not critical. The ram doesn't rub very hard and the pivots in the toggles don't move much or fast.

The Alox/beeswax bullet lube should be great on a ram. Alox IS a great lube, that's why it works so well on cast bullets. Ditto beeswax, I've even used it as a case sizing lube (thinned down of course) because it won't squeeze out easily, but Imperial Die Was is easer to deal with and it comes in a convient container too!

Char-Gar
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I have been using reloading presses for 50 years now and have never had one wear out. I just squrt a little of whatever I have on the linkage every now and then. I have used WD-40, Three-in-one, Breakfree, Starrett tool and instrument and Velocite 10 spindle oil. They all do the job.

Newfoundlander2
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
The alox/beeswax was actually a bit of nightmare to remove and I really can't see any benefit for its use in this application as it built up around the base of the ram and didn't make its way fully through the press body. The 50/50 also trapped a lot of grit causing some scoring on the area of the ram that contacted the press. The light scratches won't affect performance but they detract cosmeticly. I totally forgot about ATF as a lubricant. I coated my CH4D Champion with the stuff a few years ago and until now realised I haven't had to reapply since then. I prefer Singer sewing machine oil as a ram lubricant for its convenience. It's easy to apply and migrates quickly and evenly. I keep a tin next to the press and dab a drop or two on the ram at the start of each session.

timkelley
06-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Wax the ram with JPW or other paste wax, light oil for the link pins.