PDA

View Full Version : How do you recover fired bullets for examination?

Molly
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Every kid with his first 22 will stack up some 2x4s and pop them with his gun, just to see how many boards their gun will penetrate. And every single kid also digs out the fired bullet out of curiousity, just to see what it looks like. Over the years, I've learned more about cast bullets by examining fired bullets than anything else I've done. Naturally, I've tried quite a few methods of catching cast bullets without damaging them.

Anytime this topic comes up, the first thing out of the gate is Dr. Mann's oiled sawdust trap. And yeah, it works, but it's a royal pain to operate. Ask anyone who has used one. I wanted something a bit more convenient for my own purposes.

Believe it or not, clean sand is a pretty useful stopping medium, if all you want to study is the base of the bullet. Granted, the bullet nose is ruined, but the base is usually almost intact, depending of course on the velocity. If you're studying base upset, sand can be both useful and inexpensive.

If you're studying upset at the other end (expansion), blocks of jello / gelatin are traditional targets, but they tend to spray goop everywhere. Same goes for clay blocks.

If you're willing to get your gun wet, a long swimming pool can be put to good use. Even a clear stream with a sandy bottom will do the job nicely. Just be sure that the bore is full of water before you close the action and pull the triggger. But given the bore full of water, the only way you can tell it from firing in air is the reduced noise (more of a 'foomp' than a 'blam')and the short range of the bullet. Most of them won't go much more than about fifteen feet. Just swim down and pick them up. (You can also have a lot of fun annoying the local fish population, but don't tell the warden I told you so.)

Some more unusual methods I've used successfully include loose newspaper, soaked and allowed to freeze solid. It caught a cast bullet out of a .222Rem at close to factory ballistics, without the slightest trace of visible deformation. The only problem is that it was a LOT of work to set up, and reproducability was pretty tough: the weather / temperature isn't all that consistent.

If you can get slabs of styrofoam or polyurethane foam at something between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick, they'll stop slugs very nicely, with no deformation at all. Trouble is that it takes quite a bit of foam to do the job. Unless you have access to a foam scrap pile, or don't mind spending a small fortune at an insulation shop, this one isn't as practical as it should be either. You also have the problem of disposing of all the shot up foam blocks too.

I've also heard of shooting into deep snow drifts, and recovering the bullets after the spring thaw, but this isn't one I've tried myself.

If I were to get back into the game, I think my next effort would be to make a framework that held about fifty or a hundred wooden dowels, about a newspaper wide. Or maybe just double the newspapers, and let each dowel hold two or three, depending on the power of the round I'm testing. Then I'd use a hose or a garden sprayer to wet the sheets down before firing into them. The idea here is to provide some resistance to the passage of the bullet, but not enough resistance to cause it to expand or upset. If you want to try this, be sure that you have a solid backstop, in case you misjudge how much wet newspaper it will take to stop the bullet. Oh, and I suggest you do it well away from town ...

OK, how about someone else tossing their two cents worth in here now?

Molly

303Guy
06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Mmmmm...! Good question. I was actually planning on biulding an oiled sawdust trap. For bullet/boolit performance testing I used furniture padding, saturated with water in a container. That closely simulates flesh. I've posted these pics before.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-556F_edited.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-572F_edited.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-580F_edited.jpg

Southern Son
06-30-2009, 05:10 AM
I think that it was on this site, but I remember reading about one fellow who made a big box to hold wet rice (I think it was wet rice). I cannot remember what he fired into the box, but the box split open. Would have been a hell of a mess in the back of his ute (sorry, "truck" to you yanks).

I have thought about making a box to hold wet news paper, but getting it to the range and then back home again would be a pain (I can't leave it at the range, just the other day when I went out there I found that some one had shot up a box I made to shoot arrows into, now whenever an arrow hits one of the holes, it goes straight through the box and the fletching gets all torn up!!!!!!!!!!!!).

303Guy
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Would have been a hell of a mess in the back of his uteSpecially if the wet rice did not stop the bullet!:mrgreen:

Have you thought if leaving a booby trapped box at the range?:twisted:

montana_charlie
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking that was Buckshot who tried the 'rice thing', and I would dearly love to hear about any further testing...unless he quit in utter disgust.

How much luck is being had by those trying the 'shredded rubber' produced for landscaping?

CM

scrapcan
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Teh rice experiment was done by BruceB ot test expansion. here is a link to the thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21594&highlight=bruceB+rice

JIMinPHX
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Crumb rubber traps work well

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627&page=8

waksupi
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Kinda the wrong time of year for it, but I shoot into a snow bank, and have a boolit hunt in the spring.

largom
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I have obtained several old suitcases at consignment auctions for a dollar and usually get a couple of boxes of clothes thrown in. I stuff the suitcase with the old clothes, line up 4 one gallon milk jugs full of water in front of the suitcase and fire away. If the boolit passes thru all 4 milk jugs it is caught in the suitcase. Usually within a couple inches. Looking at the boolit hole in the suitcase tells you where the boolit path is. I always tape over the holes after recovery. The clothes/rags in suitcase will take a lot of shots before replacing. By then the suitcase is also shot out. If needed more water jugs can be added in front.
I save milk jugs all year, also have family save for me also.
Larry

softpoint
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Shoot into the swimming pool....

longbow
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Since I live in the snow belt, you can count me in with waksupi.

First time I put snow to use for this was in Kemano B.C. (not far below the Alaska panhandle). Lots of wet heavy snow. I could see the boolit tunnels in the snow and go dig many put. The rest waited for spring.

Here in Souteastern B.C. we also get a lot of snow but generally pretty light. There is no following tunnels and digging, it is all wait 'til spring but I have recovered many boolits and shotgun slugs from the range once the snow melts.

I too find much information from recoverd boolits and have always liked to check bases and driving bands for gas cutting, consistent rifling, etc.

Something else my wife got me is a Bullet Test Tube which is a cardboard tube full of green wax. I have not used it for anything other than .22 bullet comparison so far but it seems to work well. They are not cheap and are more for checking expansion of hunting bullets but handy nonetheless.

Link here: http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

You shoot into it then cut in pieces to recover the boolit. For re-use, melt and recast into the tube.

I am betting beeswax, toilet bowl ring or other softish wax would work as well and PVC pipe as the "test tube".

Biggest problem is for any large bore guns likely one shot per tube then cut and remelt and for high power rounds two or more tubes are needed for depth of penetration.

Longbow

shooter93
06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I just run like the dickens and catch the boolit when it stops.

JeffinNZ
06-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Our club uses ground up rubber and it works remarkably well. Astounding actually.

Southern Son
07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
That's the one manleyjt. A great read that thread. If a boolit can do that to a wooden box filled with rice, makes you wonder what is happening inside a pig when they get hit by the same thing.

Molly
07-01-2009, 06:25 AM
I just run like the dickens and catch the boolit when it stops.

Reminds me of the story of the two British and two Canadian soldiers who were sharing a foxhole. To pass the time, they got into a friendly argument over which were the toughest soldiers. One of the Brits stuck his head up to assess the fighting, and was hit in the mouth by an 8mm rifle bullet at the extreme far end of its trajectory. The unlucky soldier was spitting out teeth and blood, when his pardner chimed in with a rebuke that he wouldn't have been hurt if he'd just done as he'd been taught.

One of the Canadians asked what he was talking about, and the uninjured Brit explained that it was a range finding technique: One could estimte the range to the enemy by catching their bullets in his teeth, but that you were supposed to give a little slack in your jaw, so's to stop the bullet more gradually, and not get hurt .........

leftiye
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I think I''ll leave it to you to test that technique!

Molly
07-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I think I''ll leave it to you to test that technique!

Not none a me bub. But I DO have a related range finding technique that I've found quite useful: If'n they're close enough that I COULD catch a bullet, they're too darn close!

Molly