PDA

View Full Version : Non GC loads

RU shooter
06-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I got lucky and scored a mould at a good price its a lyman 429244 DC , I fired up the pot and cast a few with what I had in it (WW and lino). I got lucky and it does drop big as I needed it to .434 with that hard alloy and 253 gr. naked so it sould be just about right at .432 with something softer. Now the GC question,I often shoot my 30 cal. rifle boolits w/o the GC at 22lr. speeds with acceptable accuracy . Does the same apply to pistol bullets ? I am shooting these in a 44 spl. Or do other things come into play shooting checkless in a revolver? I really dont need a boolit that heavy and would have prefered something lighter and a flat base ,Is milling down the top of the mould to remove the GC and making a lighter boolit a good idea or would that throw everything out of whack balance wise?

Tim

EDK
06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I bought a USED four cavity 429244 in 1972 from a local custom caster....he supplied several shops with his boolits, so it was well broke in. Sometime later I had a machinist friend ream out the gas check step in a milling machine, but he got it some oversize. THEN we faced off the oversize area and it has worked well for a lot of years. It's a d--- good boolit in my MARLIN Cowboy rifles and an assortment of RUGER and S&W revolvers...."It shoots better than I do."

CAUTION: Check where the alignment pins are in relationship to the gas check area you are going to mill off. There could be a problem there. Buckshot and Eric (at the hollowpoints shop) are both doing a professional job removing the gas check step (IIRC) by reaming, but that would pick the weight up slightly. You might ask them what they recommend.

Try the boolits as is. The only real problem could be lube on the gas check shank that could contaminate the powder charge.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

454PB
06-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I have owned the same mould for over 35 years. It shoots well barefoot as long as the pressures and velocitiy are held down within reason.

The biggest problem with leaving off the GC is that you end up with boolit lube where the check should fit. You either have to wipe the excess lube off, or use a Star sizer.

beagle
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
I've also "dehorned" several 429244s (removed the GC shank) and HP'd them. Shuz has one and I have the other. They shoot real well with this modification and the HP cavity is icing on the cake./beagle

Slow Elk 45/70
06-30-2009, 03:02 AM
You can lube them with Mule Snot and not worry about the lube mess on the base of the boolit, I do this with a 429215, WFM

RU shooter
06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I've also "dehorned" several 429244s (removed the GC shank) and HP'd them. Shuz has one and I have the other. They shoot real well with this modification and the HP cavity is icing on the cake./beagle

Mr. Beagle, did they shoot as well in solid form as the HP'ed version with the shank removed?What did a hollow pointed dehorned boolit weight in at?

Thanks,Tim