PDA

View Full Version : pyrodex is fun

autofix4u
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
well I was bored this morning and thought id try something new. I had 5 lbs of pyrodex in the powder locker and no front stuffer to put it in. so I loaded up some 30-30s with 30grs and a 170gr fp no gc. took 3 rds to compensate for lower point of impact. but .5 in group at 50 yds. after the smoke cleared!!! now I just need to load some more to run over the cronograph to see how fast they are. this may be another good load for the kids as recoil & report were light and about the best groups I have got with a reduced load in this wore out winny.

Throckmorton
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
What type of Pryo were you using? I have jug of RS gathering dust.
30 grains by weight?

I"m always looking for 'fun loads' to try,this one should be fun.

autofix4u
06-29-2009, 12:58 PM
was using pyro rs. yes 30gr by weight. that's wat it took to fill the case halfway up the neck for compression. have fun.

Four Fingers of Death
06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Real smile on the dial stuff for the kids! Genuineeeeeee cowboy loads.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Clean them quick, Pyrodex is more corrosive than Holy Black. I'm having a blast since I went with 3f Goex in my 38-55.

Sam :D

autofix4u
06-29-2009, 08:48 PM
all my kids (4 of them) and nephews know the guns get cleaned before the get put away. but I am still trying to find a good quick way to clean these darned cases. while we are talking lever guns & kids my oldest knephew turned 17 on friday, you shoulda seen the look on his face when I gave him the winchester 32 special he had borrowed from me the last 2 deer seasons. give him ther rifle (made in 49) a lee reloder c press, some powder, primers and 200 new cases and the dies to go with. hope he enjoys it for life. I have plans to do the same for all 6 of my nephews. all of my kids got there first real rifles for birthday #10.

Don McDowell
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Clean and reclean the bore on that rifle and oil the snot out of it Pyrodex has a sneaky way of coming back on you.

Easiest way to clean the cases (IMHO) is to deprime them and toss them into a quart jar that started with about a 1/2 inch of Simple Green and then filled to about 2/3rds with water. When the cases are all in, make sure they're covered by the solution and shake them around a bit. Then set the jar under a faucet and run cold water in until the water runs clear. Then you can let them dry, and run them thru the tumbler . (I use corncob media with a dallop of Brasso).