PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Cast Operating Rod Not Indexing with New Plate

Jon
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
I just switched out the 4-hole plate for the classic cast press to start loading 38spl, and it doesn't index properly. It turns most of the way, but not to the index point. I can adjust the nut to get it in the right spot, but I don't want to mess it up for the original plate.

I checked the little plastic ratcheting square, and even put a new one in.

Should I expect to have to swap out the rod when I change plates? I'm not going to adjust it every time I change out plates, and a new one is cheap enough.

Anyone else have this trouble? Is it possible I just have a bad plate?

TIA :coffee:

Heavy lead
06-29-2009, 08:12 AM
I use what you do and for several years have used the regular 4 hole turret, puzzleing, I've never had to adjust any 4 hole (the three hole, yes a lot) and swap out turrets all the time. Compare the hole in the bottom of the turret that indexes correctly and the one that doesn't, start there, it just doesn't make sense.

Russ in WY
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I have had the same thing happen I believe. Just turn thr 2nd plate a bit & it shud drop in the recess in the bottom..I have never really figured out the exact correct position to drop in a new plat . Just kinda match up things til it drops down then turn abit one way or the othe. I guess if one was to look up at the bottom when removing one then line up the replacment one the same would make it all come together from the [Git Go]. My 2¢ Russ. Good Luck..

DLCTEX
06-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I've had that problem a couple times but don't remember what I did ti correct it, but it was simple whatever it was. Seems as if I turned the turret by hand to align it then it stayed aligned. Not sure. Maybe it was take the turret out and reinsert it turned slightly to another position. Not much help, I know.

Jon
06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
I've had that problem a couple times but don't remember what I did ti correct it, but it was simple whatever it was. Seems as if I turned the turret by hand to align it then it stayed aligned. Not sure. Maybe it was take the turret out and reinsert it turned slightly to another position. Not much help, I know.

I'll try rotating it to another position. It seems as though I've seen this before, but I'm not sure.

I tried putting the old plate back in, and it's doing the same thing. There must be some dependencies on the location of the rod in relation to the plate. I'll have to start marking the parts if that is the case.:-?

TAWILDCATT
06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
dont touch the nut on top.loosen the clamp on bottom and turn turret to correct
point.tighten screw.:coffee:[smilie=1:

compass will
06-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I change between 6 different heads. I would try to lift the head, turn it 1/4 turn get it to drop into the nut recess and try again.

Jon
07-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I tried that, and it didn't really help.

I ended up adjusting the nut a little bit with a wrench. They both seem to click in now. There must have just been enough tolerance stackup to cause a problem with a second plate.

Thanks for the help guys.

utk
07-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I just switched out the 4-hole plate for the classic cast press to start loading 38spl, and it doesn't index properly. It turns most of the way, but not to the index point. I can adjust the nut to get it in the right spot, but I don't want to mess it up for the original plate.

I checked the little plastic ratcheting square, and even put a new one in.

Should I expect to have to swap out the rod when I change plates? I'm not going to adjust it every time I change out plates, and a new one is cheap enough.

Anyone else have this trouble? Is it possible I just have a bad plate?

TIA :coffee:

Hold the square rod with a (1/4 inch?) wrench so it cannot turn. With the other hand turn the 4-hole turret until it clicks into the detent ball.
I think it is described in the press instructions...

Jon
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Hold the square rod with a (1/4 inch?) wrench so it cannot turn. With the other hand turn the 4-hole turret until it clicks into the detent ball.
I think it is described in the press instructions...

That's what I ended up doing. My old plate seemed to click in just fine, but it must have been out enough to cause trouble with a new plate. They both seem to be working fine now.

Now to see what I can do about the pesky primer feed mechanism. I have to bring the ram back down a little bit to get the position right to feed a primer in. It's easy enough to get used to, but I'd like to be able to feed a primer while it's up at the top of the stroke. :coffee:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Move the washer from the top position to the bottom on the pole the primer feed is mounted to or add a washer underneath and that should solve your problem with the primer feed mechanism.

Regards,

Dave