PDA

View Full Version : When would one consider --

captain-03
06-28-2009, 08:02 PM
paper patching? Most all I have read deals with old 'milsurp or shot-out barrels -- when would one consider paper patching in a modern rifle? How about pistols?

357maximum
06-28-2009, 11:16 PM
When would one consider paper patching?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When one wants to shoot a softer alloy than you can with a grease groove boolit and treat said boolit like it is a jacketed pill at jacketed velocity in a modern rifle.

303Guy
06-29-2009, 01:22 AM
How about pistols? From what I have seen in my 'test tube' and from what the successful folks have said, I would say pistol patching may or may not work. Full power loads in a rifle 'shreds' the patch. Light loads do not. It seems that the muzzle pressure or at least velocity needs to be high enough to shred the patch. Take a look at these.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-114F.jpgThose marks on the patch are from the leade.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-116F.jpg
The bits on the right are from the outer wrap.

The only full power loads I can test are hornet loads and I don't have any recoverd patch material to photograph. However, the patch in the pic did come off. It was note pad paper.
The boolit (torpedo, really) travelled nose first until it came to rest.

Hope that helps.

pdawg_shooter
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
I paper patch all my rifle loads above 30cal. Use to patch for a 25-06 but my old hand wont handle that any more. By adjusting my bullet hardness with the correct alloy I can achieve jacket bullet performance with lead. I have taken a 30cal 200gr bullet over 3000fps in a RUM with right at MOA accuracy. Try that with a bare bullet!

Fire_stick
07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
I am now paper patching for my Rossi M92's (357 and 44 mag) with regular grease groove cast bullets and cigarette paper. So far the results have been outstanding. The pp bullets seem to perform as well as copper jacketed bullets.

Now I can push softer lead at higher velocities without lube, gas checks or leading issues. I am a believer.

303Guy
07-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Great!:drinks:

Ummm.... you got pictures?[smilie=1: