PDA

View Full Version : Gas c/k type without g/c

mag_01
03-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Can g/c bullets perform well without g/ks--below 1600 ft/sec.-Thx.---- Mag :confused:

bobthenailer
03-17-2006, 08:56 PM
ive only tried 1 bullet in 1 gun so far a marlin 357 mag with the group by 180 gr fn gc with 4.5 or 5.0 tight group in mag cases for 1100 to 1200 fps with excellent results with out a gas check installed

versifier
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Maybe, depends on the boolit and the gun. You have nothing to lose by trying, and it might work out well for you. Even if it doesn't work as well as hoped, you have still learned something, and trying with a few powders will keep you occupied. There are worse ways to spend time. :-D

Pystis
03-18-2006, 05:08 AM
I´ve shot Lee 312-185RNs (air cooled ww) without GCs at 1000fps, and the accuracy was well enough for plinking. But when I cranked the speed up, say 1400fps, accuracy was even better, but I got severe leading after the throat, due to gas cutting. With gac checks zero leading.
Like versifier said, your mileage may vary.

Jukka

Bass Ackward
03-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Can g/c bullets perform well without g/ks--below 1600 ft/sec.-Thx.---- Mag :confused:

Maggie,

There have been numerous discousions about this in the past that go into some very good detail. So you can use the search function at the top of the page. They go into technique and some caliber references. There appears to be no set rules. There are no trends to kind of point you in the right direction like a light / heavy bullet for caliber or powder choices.

Those discussions all boil down to the fact that YOU have to answer this question for yourself. I would think that it would help if you have some plain base bullet experience already. Because the use of a GC does allow more .... flexibility that can't be truely appreciated until you go without a GC using smokeless. So consider this an education and give it a whirl.